I close
15%
I play open
24%

Total votes: 78

Menschenjaeger

Re: Open vs Closed, N°2

Post by Menschenjaeger »

Yeah, I know, Rise, Zombie Thread!, but it's good to see this debate. I just discovered AAdv, and looking at strategy guides I saw lots of stuff about digging and camping and how closing is cheap, etc, and watched a video with high-rubber gameplay and...really got turned off. I'm happy to see that straight ahead play still gets respect. Once I get comfy enough beating on AI, you might see me on your server. ;-)
F0RC3
Core Dumper

Post by F0RC3 »

If i can close without killing myself, i will close.
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

sometimes people complain that I close,

then again,

if I didnt close in these occasions, my victim would've outspeeded me and killed me.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Closing is a myth (if you actually understand what rubber is).
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

sinewav wrote:Closing is a myth (if you actually understand what rubber is).
Word.

Man, I was in Yellow Sub awhile ago and I not only got crap for "closing/sealing," and the so-called "backdooring" (so, don't make a huge box, stupid), but they didn't even approve of my accelerating! Are you kidding me?

And no matter how much I chased (that arena really is a factor or two too large), how aggressive I was, how small or immediate a box I slapped around someone, they kept calling me a runner. "You speed, close, and run. [insert generic crude insult here]" I don't get it.

All I can say is: Stop crashing into my wall!
Last edited by Phytotron on Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

sinewav wrote:Closing is a myth (if you actually understand what rubber is).
I don't :P

Please explain
Boxed
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Rubber isn't a shield. And it doesn't produce seals (like a gasket or something). In the "old days" people didn't use terms like "digging" or grinding "deeper." They referred to making a very close grind. The reason being, rubber's purpose is to stop and slow you before you actually make contact with a wall. Now, most of the time this isn't visible; it happens on an infinitesimal visual scale. You think you've touched the nose of your cycle to a wall and laid your wall up against it, but as far as the code is concerned, you haven't actually made contact. The more rubber you use, the closer you get. Once rubber runs out, you'll actually contact the wall. Contact is immediate death, just like GLTron.

If you want to see this in action, set CYCLE_RUBBER_MINDISTANCE to something like 0.5. You'll see how it stops you cold before making contact with the wall.

Then, set CYCLE_RUBBER to something ridiculous like 100, and CYCLE_RUBBER_MINDISTANCE_RESERVOIR to 2. You'll see how, after MINDISTANCE stops you, you'll slowly move toward the wall as your rubber gets used up. That's what's always happening, just on a much smaller scale.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Someone should make a server like that phyto (with less rubber of course).
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Thought this scene from Django was a funny analogy (feel free to use the template to add better text).
Attachments
Django.jpg
Django.jpg
Word

Post by Word »

This popped up in my archaeology newsfeed and I thought it was strangely appropriate. Happy Ides of March, fellow stabbers! Come to think of it, we really should establish this as a special week to remind everyone how much closers enrich this world. :lol:
Attachments
bd5b0c2d663fcd0317f8996740c7e5e8.jpg
192aaaf883d53c275ff1c042ba41602a.jpg
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Funny, Word, since this is the day that's largely considered make or break for Trump.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I like to point out to English players that they didn't use the crossbow because they thought it was cheating, and unchristian to kill without skill.

Also: "a kill is a kill". So in a server with 5 afks, you win every time; that's a gg for you I bet.
That option is obsolete :roll:
Word

Post by Word »

Lucifer wrote:Funny, Word, since this is the day that's largely considered make or break for Trump.
Ohhhhh, I totally forgot about Trump! Yes, that's indeed fitting then :D
ConVict wrote:Also: "a kill is a kill". So in a server with 5 afks, you win every time; that's a gg for you I bet.
Not necessarily "gg", but it's not in any way worse than killing those bots by playing "open".
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Word wrote: it's not in any way worse than killing those bots by playing "open".
I get what you mean there.
It's pretty impossible to play open with the bots.

This is exactly why everyone finds xdude so annoying; he sees that your traps are gonna be too hard, and instead, turns back.

I'd call that play cowardly.
IndigoChild
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by IndigoChild »

You all were no match for The Great Amaso imo. She was the "Open" God; God of Open Play.
Not ZuLu Fam