Game: node-def

Anything About Anything...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Game: node-def

Post by Z-Man »

Remember core wars? node-def is somewhat similar. It calls itself a hacker sim. You program nodes. Nodes can replicate themselves, connect, attack, suicide, and infect other nodes. You duke it out with enemy nodes.

Homepage: http://www.node-def.com/

There's an open beta running currently. Sign up if you're interested. I'm Z-Man over there, too.
hoop
Round Winner

Re: Game: node-def

Post by hoop »

looks cool :D
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Looks cool, but also complex. Reminds me of a game for mac by ambrosia software that's also a hacking sim type thing.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You probably mean Uplink by IV. Which is the forum the link was originally posted, and the one big group of beta testers originates from :) (Well, big is relative, there's four others from there).

And no, it isn't overly complex. You can't really program your nodes, you just have a set of instructions and the nodes execute the first of them that makes sense all of the time. Kind of like some sed scripts.

Actually, it's more like microbes on a petri dish than a hacker contest. Which gives it a mad scientist context, bwahahaha.

The balance of the different attack methods is still a bit off, though, and there isn't a lot of variety in what you can do that makes sense. But fixing that is what the beta test is for. And even at this state, it's incredibly addictive. I wanted to try one or two things yesterday and before I knew, it was 3 AM.