Phytotron's stupid computer blog

Anything About Anything...
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Re: Phytotron's stupid computer blog

Post by aP|Nelg »

When compton is running on my dell laptop, it seems go make FPS on other games (like armagetron) go really low... I could try compiz... Hm
EDIT: I basically have it killing compton when opening the games and then executing it when I close the game.

80 GB harddrives that say they are new:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-80GB-5400RP ... 27dde867d6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Western-Dig ... 1c38c86b37
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

aP|Nelg wrote:80 GB harddrives that say they are new:
What's the point of this? You don't believe manufactures make new 80GB hard drives?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Lucifer wrote:What the hell? That shouldn't ever happen!

Try "bash start.sh" and see what happens. Maybe your default shell isn't bash, and it doesn't understand shell scripts correctly?
:/

Code: Select all

redacted@redacted:~$ cd /home/redacted/Downloads/Machinarium
redacted@redacted:~/Downloads/Machinarium$ bash start.sh
Running Machinarium
start.sh: line 28: /home/redacted/Downloads/Machinarium/game/Machinarium: No such file or directory
/home/bubuntu/Downloads/Machinarium
If it wasn't obvious or assumed, I have no idea what these errors mean.

By the way, checked a couple other games. There are a few old games from the 90's that they gave away for free (e.g., Beneath A Steel Sky) for which they provided both a deb and sh file. The deb file presumably works since it opened in the Ubuntu Software Center with an option to install the GOG version (which I didn't bother doing—this game is also available in the Software Center for free). But the sh files still just open in Mousepad, or give me the same errors in the Terminal as on the previous page.

The only other Linux-compatible games I have are Amnesia: The Dark Descent and The Witcher 2 (giveaway, I'll never play it). What I find kinda weird is they don't provide deb files for these, just a sh. Wouldn't one think more recent games would use a deb file? (That is, if not using a PPA—why GOG doesn't use a PPA, I don't know.)

aP|Nelg wrote:When compton is running on my dell laptop, it seems [to] make FPS on other games (like armagetron) go really low... I could try compiz... Hm
I haven't even installed Armagetron this yet, so can't give any feedback on that. If you're using Xubuntu, from what I read it's inadvisable that you use Compiz with it, because, uh, technical shit I forget. GNOME vs GTK? I dunno, they say it can cause lots of problems. Like, it won't even install correctly or something.
sinewav wrote:
aP|Nelg wrote:80 GB harddrives that say they are new:
What's the point of this? You don't believe manufactures make new 80GB hard drives?
This:
Phytotron wrote:By the way, does no one make lower-capacity external, mechanical hard drives anymore? Like, say around 80 GB? Smallest I've found is 500 GB.
I'm just going with a thumb drive(s) at this point.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Did you install the required packages? You're probably on a 64-bit OS, but the game only comes with a 32-bit executable.
Minimum system requirements wrote:Requires the following packages to be installed: libc6:i386 libasound2:i386 libasound2-data:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libcurl3:i386 libnss3:i386 libxt6:i386 and dependencies.
Notice: this game comes with a 32-bit binary only
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

No, Im using siduction which is a debian distro

sorry n"t used to typing on a touchscreen
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Make sure the executable file is named exactly as the one it says it cannot find. Case is important. From the screenshot you showed us earlier, there is no file named Machinarium in that directory, which would easily explain why it cannot find it.

If you could post a full file listing of the base directory for that game, that would help a lot. and directory listings of the base level subfolders as well.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

dlh wrote:Did you install the required packages? You're probably on a 64-bit OS, but the game only comes with a 32-bit executable.
Minimum system requirements wrote:Requires the following packages to be installed: libc6:i386 libasound2:i386 libasound2-data:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libcurl3:i386 libnss3:i386 libxt6:i386 and dependencies.
Damnit, I'm a jerk. See, thing is, when you go to your 'Library' on the website to download it, that isn't mentioned. I completely overlooked it. Yep, I'm on a 64-bit OS. I think I've read somewhere sometime that I probably shouldn't install all that, right?

Thing is, Beneath A Steel Sky doesn't list that as a requirement, and it still does as I described. That uses a packaged ScummVM to run it, though. And maybe they just neglected to mention it. I dunno.
/dev/null wrote:Make sure the executable file is named exactly as the one it says it cannot find. Case is important. From the screenshot you showed us earlier, there is no file named Machinarium in that directory, which would easily explain why it cannot find it.
I didn't post a screenshot, but I described it. Here's a pic, anyway:
Screenshot_2015-08-03_17-32-10.png

Sinewav PM'ed me a few thoughts. Gonna try those out after while, but wanted to go ahead and respond to these.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Phytotron wrote: Thing is, Beneath A Steel Sky doesn't list that as a requirement, and it still does as I described. That uses a packaged ScummVM to run it, though. And maybe they just neglected to mention it. I dunno.
Beneath a Steel Sky is a file that is interpreted by the engine, and since the engine knows it will only ever interpret certain types of files, it should work regardless of your OS.

It'd be like a 64-bit Java interpreter running Java code compiled for 32-bit operating systems. It should still work just fine.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Phytotron wrote:
dlh wrote:Did you install the required packages? You're probably on a 64-bit OS, but the game only comes with a 32-bit executable.
Damnit, I'm a jerk. See, thing is, when you go to your 'Library' on the website to download it, that isn't mentioned. I completely overlooked it. Yep, I'm on a 64-bit OS. I think I've read somewhere sometime that I probably shouldn't install all that, right?

Thing is, Beneath A Steel Sky doesn't list that as a requirement, and it still does as I described. That uses a packaged ScummVM to run it, though. And maybe they just neglected to mention it. I dunno.
/dev/null wrote:Make sure the executable file is named exactly as the one it says it cannot find. Case is important. From the screenshot you showed us earlier, there is no file named Machinarium in that directory, which would easily explain why it cannot find it.
I didn't post a screenshot, but I described it. Here's a pic, anyway:
Screenshot_2015-08-03_17-32-10.png

Sinewav PM'ed me a few thoughts. Gonna try those out after while, but wanted to go ahead and respond to these.
try running the script in that directory. Its fairly obvious now why its not working.
File not found is so much more useful in this context
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

As I mentioned in the original post, the file called Machinarium with the gray gear icon is an executable, and when I click it I get the error Failed to execute child process "/home/username/Downloads/Machinarium/game/Machinarium" (No such file or directory).

If you were referring to something else, please be more specific.

I guess it's the thing dlh pointed out, anyway. Oh well. I appreciate the help from you guys, all the same.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I got it working, but my errors were different. They were all related to missing libraries, as dlh suspected. I came across this helpful page which provided the following command:

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libnss3:i386 libcurl3-gnutls:i386 libidn11:i386 libpango1.0-0:i386 libpangox-1.0-0:i386 libpangoxft-1.0-0:i386 librtmp0:i386 libxft2:i386
Copied it, pasted it into a terminal and ran it, then changed to the Machinarium directory and ran ./start.sh and it started right up. I would suggest installing the above libraries and trying again. I really hope it works for you because it is incredibly frustrating when someone else is like "oh just do this works for me!" and it fails on your machine.

I totally want to play this game but I refuse to start until you can play too.

(Note: I'm running Xubuntu 15, 64-bit.)
Attachments
this-game-looks-sick-bro.png
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

GRUMBLEDORF

Exactly what I said to do, worked fine. You idiots need to learn how to Gentoo. Half of your problems are your own os not giving a shit.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

sinewav wrote:I got it working, but my errors were different. They were all related to missing libraries, as dlh suspected. I came across this helpful page which provided the following command:

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libnss3:i386 libcurl3-gnutls:i386 libidn11:i386 libpango1.0-0:i386 libpangox-1.0-0:i386 libpangoxft-1.0-0:i386 librtmp0:i386 libxft2:i386
Copied it, pasted it into a terminal and ran it, then changed to the Machinarium directory and ran ./start.sh and it started right up. I would suggest installing the above libraries and trying again. I really hope it works for you because it is incredibly frustrating when someone else is like "oh just do this works for me!" and it fails on your machine.
So, was I wrong in thinking I read somewhere that installing 32-bit libraries and stuff on a 64-bit OS could cause problems?

Also, I notice your list doesn't include some of the dependencies that dlh referenced. Shouldn't those be installed as well?

Then, while trying to find an answer myself to the first question, I found this page on Humble Bundle: Installing 32-bit libs on a 64-bit Linux system

So, given those last couple things, what do you think would be the best way to go about it?

Also, what exactly is the meaning of ./start.sh vs. the regular sh start.sh command I've been doing? I tried to google, but probably not surprising it just came up with a lot of stuff about shell scripts in general.

Sorry if I'm being a dummy.
I totally want to play this game but I refuse to start until you can play too.
Go ahead and start playing it! As you may have noticed there's some delay between when I get to do things. Besides that, if all else fails I can still play it on Windoze, so I am technically already able in that respect.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:So, was I wrong in thinking I read somewhere that installing 32-bit libraries and stuff on a 64-bit OS could cause problems?
They absolutely can cause problems, but in most cases you will get a warning. It is usually because a 32-bit package is dependent on another package that if altered will break a 64-bit package. Again, when the package manager determines dependencies it will give you a notice and a prompt (y/n).
Phytotron wrote:Also, I notice your list doesn't include some of the dependencies that dlh referenced. Shouldn't those be installed as well?
Maybe! Just start with the ones I listed and see if it works. Some of the packages I listed might force install the packages dlh listed. I haven't looked closely at them. If the game doesn't start after running the command I posted, go ahead and install the packages dlh mentioned.
Phytotron wrote:Also, what exactly is the meaning of ./start.sh vs. the regular sh start.sh command I've been doing?
This is hard for me to explain and I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong.

The first part of "sh start.sh" is the shell used to run start.sh. The suffix .sh just means this file is a shell script. You have more than one shell on your system. What is a shell? "The most generic sense of the term shell means any program that users employ to type commands." [Wikipedia] If you type the command "cat /etc/shells" you will see a list of shell programs installed on your system. In most Ubuntu-based distributions BASH is the default. Different shells have different commands available and a script that works in BASH won't necessarily work with DASH or CSH or SH.

Now, if start.sh is not executable you would be forced to run it preceded by a shell. However, once the file is made executable (sudo chmod +x start.sh) then simply pointing to it on the command line forces the script to run using the shell defined on the top line of the script, which often looks like #!/bin/bash. This says "hey, go into my folder of binaries and use bash to run the code."

The dot/slash before the filename has to do with directories/paths. You can run the script by typing the full path such as /home/phytotron/games/start.sh, or if you are already in the games folder, ./start.sh. It means "look here for the script." There are a number of ways to run scripts that have combinations of dot-space, or dot-space-dot-slash, and more. It's all too complicated for this post, but a little more information can be found at stackoverflow.

Phytotron wrote:Sorry if I'm being a dummy.
You're not. This shit is complicated. I've been using Ubuntu nearly every day for the past 5 years and I feel like I barely know anything, and I've even taken Linux classes. :/
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Ubuntu is complicated, you feel like you know nothing because they keep moving the goalpost. I had no issues running the version I pirated on Gentoo.

Calling Ubuntu linux is like calling BSD Unix, sure they share some similarities, but they diverged long ago.

That actually brings up an interesting idea, Gentoo and BSD converged, perhaps Ubuntu and OS/2 will converge.
Both are failed systems people still use for some reason.