Tron Movie

Anything About Anything...
mdetrano

Post by mdetrano »

I saw the movie in the theaters when I was a kid. The Palace theater in Canton, Ohio to be exact--they showed it shorly after the main release, which as I remember did not last very long. I was young enough to not be so critical of the script (to be honest, when I catch it on TV nowadays, I still enjoy watching it, corny geek-script aside). My understanding is that Disney never did like the movie--big investment, low return--a little too far out there. Probably left a bad taste in their mouth, and it wasn't until they could do something like Toy Story, (two decades later?) that the whole computer animation feature was given another go.

Now, TRON has earned its place in history. Had there not been a TRON, how would we have gotten to Toy Story, Shrek, The Incredibles, etc. As a nostalgia piece its terrific.

I loved the light cycle scenes. The cycles had such a strange and surreal design, and the action was intense. The game-play could be lived out in the original arcade machine--2D, of course. Coolest part of the game, and also the hardest. I remember thinking how fun it *would* be if playing the light cycle game looked just like it did in the movie. I predicted that one day it would be possible.

Needless to say, I was delighted when I discovered Armagetron, with the moviepack. Here was a game I had been waiting to play for nearly 20 years! Graphics as good as (better than?) the movie. Rendered in real time on my PC. Really puts Moore's law into perspective.

I remember once the game bugged up on me--a bot crashed into the wall but the collision was not detected. Its trail just ended at the wall--the bot had escaped the grid. I looked over at my machine and thought "whoa dude, it's REAL!"
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

mdetrano wrote: I remember once the game bugged up on me--a bot crashed into the wall but the collision was not detected. Its trail just ended at the wall--the bot had escaped the grid. I looked over at my machine and thought "whoa dude, it's REAL!"
LOL. The first time I saw the rip bug I thought it was by design. :) When I realized it was a bug, it became a bug I didn't want fixed. Then when people started abusing it I wanted it fixed, of course. There's only a certain amount of nostalgia I can tolerate before it becomes a nuisance. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
wallpaper
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by wallpaper »

How 'bout "The Last Starfighter"...another disney flick with computer generated effects that were considered "amazing" back in the day.

Maybe we could have an armalaststarfighter game. :D
HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

i saw it in theaters too

cool film for its day

disney needs to make a sequel
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

My parents thought I was too young to see The Last Starfighter, but that it was perfectly ok for me to watch all the Star Wars movies.

Go figure.

In any case, I actually really enjoy the last starfighter. Made me realize that living in a shitty small town didn't have to be my future. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
ROCK
Average Program

Post by ROCK »

The last starfighter, now thats one I have alraidy seen, it had some interesting ideas, but that car/ship thing, didn't look futeristing to me even back in the day, I thought it looked rather silly. Other than its a fun movie, it'd be interesting to be in that situation, for sure. Hey, if they left a clone-a-mahoozit like the one they left for that guy, nobody would notice it wasn't me. 8)
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

it irked me in the last star fighter when the dead guy comes back to life like it's no big deal. they completely undid an important plot point. weird for disney, since they like killing off the parents of completely innocent children characters right at the beginning of films.