christmas thread

Anything About Anything...
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Fonkay wrote:
Tank Program wrote:Using the internet to proof the existence of Santa.

Does anyone else see a problem with this? ;)
I'll assume you don't mean morally.
Well, you have kids books about Santa, and kids tv show making x-mass special often with Santa, and you have Santas at the malls, and on regular tv, and in magasins ads, and radio ads, and tv add, and in cola ads, and on bill board, and in movies, and at school teachers talk about it, ask kids to make drawing of him, and write stories about him, and to write him letters, and have plays about him and at home parent ask their kids what they want Santa to bring them for x-mass, and leave presents at night under the x-mass tree telling their kids Santa did a pre-delivery, and then put up the rest on the eve of x-mass, and there are the stories about leaving milk and cookies, and of course the parent eat up the cookies and drink up the milk and tell their kids that Santa did that, and sometime one parent will pretend to go buy the newspaper and dress up as Santa or ask for somebody to dress up as Santa, and come and deliver some of the present to the kids under this disguise, and the family dog will pick of the smell of the disguised parent, but will be quite thrown off by the weird clothing, the mask and/or fake beard, the fake voice, and the dog will pick up on all the excitment, trying to make sense of it all, and the kids, already crazed up by this weird masked stranger they heard so much about, that speak like dad but not really, entering their house, giving presents, well the poor kids will pick up on the crazed dog too, and everybody behaving just so strangely around them, around that weird person giving present, well, would that be ok?

/ph

I ripped part of Futurama's "in the 20th century, we had ads on tv, radio, on the sky, at the beach, .... (long list), but not in your dreams no sesiro no naha not at all!". The part of the dog I lived this x-mass. The youngest kid present was old enough to know it was her dad, but at the same time, it was like she wasnt totally sure of it. And everybody around was just so enthousiastic, just hopping in it, it created such a charged atmosphere. But the dog, a very nice, smart and gentle Labrador Retreiver, was just picking up all that, and was really confused about it, trying to go lick his hand, stopping close and just running and hiding away, totally scared! It was quite a x-mass experience.
Canis meus id comedit.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Santa's the biggest bribe in the world. With a few exceptions, parents generally agree that you don't bribe your kids for good behavior with money/treats/etc. Yet they take part in perpetuating the biggest, most sinister bribe of the year. "If you're not good, Santa won't bring you presents." And what about the poor families whose parents don't have enough money to maintain the myth for their kids? Are their kids bad because Santa didn't come to them? There aren't enough charities to make sure there's a fake Santa for every home, some large amount of kids every year go without presents from Santa.

We've totally de-emphasized Santa in our house. Santa fills the stockings, and that's our concession for Santa Claus. Santa fills the stockings regardless of their behavior. If he dares leave a boxed present, I'll cut his balls off. You don't bribe my kids.

Other than that, Santa's just something everyone else does, and my kids don't feel left out because their daddy thinks it's a worthless scam whose only real purpose in these modern times is to make parents spend more money from December 1 to December 24. We call this "not letting our kids get ostracized for having crackpot parents while mitigating the damages caused by those who haven't ostracized them". :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

christ was probably a pretty sweet guy back in the day but christmas has lost all of its meaning. It was made by martin luther for "christ" sake
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Let me point out that I wasn't talking about the actual existence of Santa, morally or otherwise. I just thought it was a bad idea to use the internet to offer proof of something's existence.
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

Tank Program wrote:Let me point out that I wasn't talking about the actual existence of Santa, morally or otherwise. I just thought it was a bad idea to use the internet to offer proof of something's existence.
That's what I was getting at. But apparently it wasn't very clear.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Tank Program wrote:Let me point out that I wasn't talking about the actual existence of Santa, morally or otherwise. I just thought it was a bad idea to use the internet to offer proof of something's existence.
I saw that web site as some sort of a kids book. A different re-interpretation of the myth. NORAD making a radio sending about them tracking "a boogie" coming over Labrador and sending F18 to shoot it down only to have the pilot realise at the last instant that it is Santa Claus starting his North American part of his travel is not so different from parent reading to their kids about Voldemort doing a cruciatux curse on Harry Potter or Hanzel and Grettel's parent abandoning them in the forest.

Now, to make my position clear, myth of myth's sake, for children enjoyment and fantasy are fine by me. I don't think Tank might say otherwise, but I'm still curious what his position is!

/ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Loor
Average Program

Post by Loor »

You know, in all this, if a 11 year old kid comes along and reads this post, he will be heartbroken. Don't you care about that? :P

And proving the existence of Santa via the Internet, is perfectly normal these days. If you did a survey, you'd probably find that kids spend more time on the computer than anything else.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

MERRY NEWTONMAS!

Post by Phytotron »

The Skeptic's Dictionary entry on the contemptable old fart:

http://www.skepdic.com/santa.html
Last edited by Phytotron on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
skullflame
Round Winner
Location: Acctually... in a little dark corner in the back of my mind where my darkest fears encounter me.

Post by skullflame »

OT: What is the picture in your avatar Loor?
Loor
Average Program

Post by Loor »

OT: Its Howl's Moving Castle. From the movie. Ed's avatar is also from that movie.