Good, old, games

Anything About Anything...
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

Donkey Kong? Was that the old dos game where you were gorillas on a city skyline and you threw bananas that exploded? Or is that a different game?
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That was "Gorilla". Donkey Kong was where Donkey Kong kidnapped Princess Peach (I guess she didn't have a name back then) and you as Mario tried to rescue her, jumping over the barrels Donkey Kong threw at you.

My list of classics mainly consists of Lemmings and the various Turrican incarnations. Recently, I've become hooked on NetHack, although that doesn't truly qualify as old because the latest release is from only a few years back.
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

OMG Lemmings. I loved that game. That and Scorched Earth.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

Chrono trigger, super marios for nes, mario kart, excitebike was a good one too, NHL 94 for the snes was an awesome hockey game, you can download most of these I think from http://www.vimm.net.

And the best game I cant find and dont know where it came from is Crash, sort of like tron, its a top down look at a racing car that leaves a trail and you can only turn at 90 degrees, and if you hit another cars trail you die, you can shoot and there is a boost button too I think. If anyone has played this before and knows where to find it that would be great.
You've gone too far, turn back!
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Van-hayes wrote:If anyone has played this before and knows where to find it that would be great.
Love that game. The game arena looked very similar to this.

It is emulated in mame. The rom images for this particular game are legally available too.
Get crashing ;)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Good, old, games

Post by sinewav »

Short, interesting interview with the creator of Robotron: 2084.

I just realized there is a razor thin chance I could live until the year 2084. That would be something.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Great game. I still think you should grab yourself an N64 and a copy of Robotron 64; they're dirt cheap nowadays—and no moving parts, so they still work great. It can even be played with two controllers, using the joystick on each, though it's a little awkward. The difficulty curve is a lot less steep, but also a lot longer than the original—given the difference in platforms, the priority is length of game experience rather than getting you to feed more quarters into it. But it's fun as hell and goes on forever, and is just as much a visual and audio trip out as the original—just be sure to get yourself an S-video cable.

Here are a couple reviews by a guy who is also a hardcore old-school lover of arcade and Atari (YARS!) games:

Original CGR review. (Where they unjustly bash the N64 itself, but also reference TRON at one point.)
Follow-up review 8 years later.

You may (or may not) recall that I used an animated gif of the Robotron stomp 'Game Over' screen for awhile there. I looked around in my old emac data to attach it, but I can't even find the folder where I stored all my forum avatars, hmm.
Kinda Slow
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Kinda Slow »

Did you look here? Lots of old stuff.
https://archive.org/details/internetarcade
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

I was just there yesterday tinkering with some games.
"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
~Leonard Bernstein
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Robotron64-GO.gif
Robotron64-GO.gif (123.45 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

anyone else remember playing these games as a kid? Bomberman, Worms, Mortal Kombat 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, GTA 1…
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

Streets of Rage 2.
Click. Image
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

I liked the Duck Hunt game that came with the neat little gun you could plug into the NES. I played that probably way too much as a kid haha

There was also a game called Rampage that you could be a giant Gorilla and other various things. I remember you could crush towers and eat people that were sitting on the toilet by reaching through the window.

And Paperboy which I was never fast enough with a controller to actually be good at..
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Road Rash 1

and the similar game but with Rollerblade : Skitchin

Both game you drive in the road and hit other competitors / cops, steal their weapons and upgrade your gear :D
Wik
Average Program

Post by Wik »

For a long time I was obsessed with David's Midnight Magic. Highest score was short of 1.2 million afair.
Attachments
Dmm_Animation1.gif
Dmm_Animation1.gif (27.75 KiB) Viewed 2944 times