features in the new FIREFOX 1.0

Anything About Anything...
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

features in the new FIREFOX 1.0

Post by nicolas.b »

these plugin extensions install in 2 seconds and are really fun and diverse. my favorite is the adblocker one but i'm keen on getting the flashblocker plugin too:
https://update.mozilla.org/?application=firefox

another thing i learned is the backdoor to all firefox settings (it's config file i guess). just type "about:config" into the URL box. :)

Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner

Re: features in the new FIREFOX 1.0

Post by Lucifer »

nicolas.b wrote:these plugin extensions install in 2 seconds and are really fun and diverse. my favorite is the adblocker one but i'm keen on getting the flashblocker plugin too:
https://update.mozilla.org/?application=firefox

another thing i learned is the backdoor to all firefox settings (it's config file i guess). just type "about:config" into the URL box. :)
Or for people who don't want to install plugins and have to deal with reinstalling them through successive upgrades....

Any ads you want to block (you'll have to get this information yourself), put an entry in your hosts file redirecting them to someone you want to see, or run a mini-webserver on your computer and redirect them to localhost. Should work in Windows too, Windows has a hosts file in the %WINDOWS% directory.

For flashblocking, just uninstall the flash plugin. Works great.

nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

but that way you don't see the flash file at all. with the plugin, you don't have to suffer the SWF's in your face, but when there's one you want to see you just click it to bypass block. i call that convenient.

btw, with the HOSTS file thing in windows you don't have to set up any special local host. you can just use the "127.0.0.0" localhost address if i recall correctly.

but one nice thing about the adblocker plugin is you can manage the list a little more fluently than you can by editting the HOSTS file. also, you can fire up another browser or disable the adblocking if you want to momentarily see the restricted addresses all at once. and by doing that in conjunction with the HOSTS file you can create a sort of sieve of hard blocks (HOSTS level) and soft blocks (browser level).

iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

nicolas.b wrote:btw, with the HOSTS file thing in windows you don't have to set up any special local host. you can just use the "127.0.0.0" localhost address if i recall correctly.
yes you are correct and heres a copy of my host file if you want (it blocks just about every dodgy popup ad and other general nasty crap) it can be edited with any standard txt editor so you can add new entrys when needed
Attachments
hosts.rar
unzip this and stick it somewhere ;)
(28.5 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif

Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

28.5KB compressed... jeez iceman :o

iceman

Post by iceman »

well text does compress very well

i once helped program a text based adventure for an 8 bit z80 system (NASCOM 2)

the in game text and location info in plain text was originally 500k and the program was around 20k and all this had to be squeezed into under 64k

i wrote a compressor and left it running for 3 days (running at 4mhz and using disk for a buffer) and it worked, i got the whole thing down to 52k including the program ! 8)

Matrox
Core Dumper

Post by Matrox »

In windows Xp. The Host file is located in:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.

Make sure that you make this file READ ONLY in the file properties

For any one that wants more info this site is fairly good. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm :wink:
We Put The Fun In Fundamentalist.

Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

iceman wrote:i once helped program a text based adventure
*Ye enter a room in ye room is a a table on ye table sits a key and half melted candle obvious exits are north east and west

*get ye key

*ye key is stuck to table with wax from candle... You can't get ye key

*get ye candle

*yon candle is half melted but it shall provide light if you had matches... Ye pick up candle it smells like lavender ye stick yon candle in ye backpack

Matrox
Core Dumper

Post by Matrox »

Ive just got and installed FIREFOX 1.0. I have to say that im impressed. I got some plugins such as Ad Blocker and Fire FTp amongest others.

I have to say that tabbed browsing is a really cool feature. Its the first time that ive used it and in going to stick with it. Another convert. Previously i used IE and had a programme called WINplosion. This provides "TITLED BROWSING". You drag your mosue off to left hand side of the screen the then all open windows appear as tiles on the screen. You then click on the window/page that you want. Its a handy feature.

nicolas.b
Grid Clown

Post by nicolas.b »

well i've just reloaded this page and i have to say i'm impressed with your weedy mickey, matrox.

thumbs up! :D

btw- thx iceman, i'm taking your hosts file for a test drive now... :)

Matrox
Core Dumper

Post by Matrox »

nicolas.b wrote:well i've just reloaded this page and i have to say i'm impressed with your weedy mickey, matrox.
Thanks. :roll:

I have to say that using a host file works really well. The pop up blocker i have with my internet security package does a good job of blocking pop ups. As does the now standard -thanks to XP SP2- IE pop up blocker. But they just leave a gap where the ad was postioned. If i use the host file the gap isnt present. This make's dispalyed web pages look alot better.

iceman

Post by iceman »

enjoy 8)

ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

well, I've upgraded to FireFox 1.0 (from 1.0PR), and the previous problems with crashing on onclick events (and maybe popups) has NOT shown up yet. I've only been using it for 20 minutes or so, but I couldn't get that far before.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.2.x, and was unable to use the PR version. I'm hoping weez all good now. I encourage root and anyone else who is using Mac and had a problem to check out the new version.

nicolas.b
Grid Clown

Post by nicolas.b »

this is a lovely extension- just started using it and i'm a lifer. it saves the state of your browser windows / tabs between quits and powerdowns, name of "sessionsaver":
http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/sessionsaver

philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

iceman wrote:yes you are correct and heres a copy of my host file if you want ...
Your file? Weird, I found the same at the link posted by Matrox http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

And me who had though you actually hacked that list togheter to enhance your dialup experience.

On the plus side, now that I have the source of the file, I can update it frequently.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.