What are you listening to right now?

Anything About Anything...
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Word »

sinewav wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:49 amOf course you like this weird band. This is exactly the kind of band I think of when I imagine your music taste, ha. The bass tone in that liver performance is so good it made me a little angry.
Maybe you should ask them for a job, then they'd have two good bass tones!
sinewav wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:49 amI bought some vinyl records last weekend and one blues album from 1964 has a really great song I want to share, but it's not online anywhere. I might put it on youtube this week if I have time.
Yes! Does it have a name? My father actually has an old Blues compilation from the 60s in his record collection with some obscure stuff. I'll try to digitize those records unless I find them online. It's just named "Blues", appropriately so.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:31 pmDoes it have a name?
I uploaded one song. I did not adjust the levels and the quality is bad because I plan to replace it with a recording of the whole album.

Martin Yarbrough - Nine Fifteen

He has another album I'm going to buy off Discogs. The genres listed are bossa nova and samba. I've been collecting bossa nova stuff when I see it, so this is a good find since I already like his blues / folk stuff.
Word

Post by Word »

It's nice how his voice sounds so crystal clear after all these years! According to Google, he's actually still around. This somehow reminds me that the singer of CAN (Damo Suzuki) is supposed to live here in Cologne but I don't think I've ever seen him in the flesh.

As for Bossa Nova, have you listened to all of Lalo Schifrin's stuff already? :-) If you just watch some old episodes of the Mission Impossible TV series, there's tons of it in it that was probably never released properly.

(Not really Bossa Nova in this case, but my favourite bit of music in the series is that suspense piece from the episode "Time Bomb" (around the 39:19 mark). The low budget is apparent everywhere. The entire scene is just cutting between faces and clocks, but the music is so hypnotic that it elevates the whole thing and you really stare at that damn clock/face the whole time.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:17 pm...have you listened to all of Lalo Schifrin's stuff already? :-)
No, but I will start listening today!
Word wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:17 pmTime Bomb
That scene is really intense. I'll have to watch the whole movie now...
Word

Post by Word »

sinewav wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:09 pm That scene is really intense. I'll have to watch the whole movie now...
The entire series is addictive! I have like 4 seasons on DVD and binged them when I was a teenager. Over the course of the show, quite a few Star Trek people pop up. Leonard Nimoy replaced Martin Landau in the main cast, William Shatner plays a villain in at least one episode (unfortunately that audio/video is quite out-of-sync. but oh, I could write essays about how they use zooming and panning in the show. there's always something interesting going on), and there's an ever-changing roster of villains and hot-female-agents-of-the-week). In the final season of the show, Sam Elliott appears as the new guy. I think I've talked about this before somewhere here on the forums, but it's also fun to pay attention to little stuff like "Gellerese" whenever the Impossible Missions Force is roaming some authoritarian state (of course, in the show, almost every state other than the US is authoritarian in some way, it's the 60s after all!) or just all these cars and machines with big knobs, clunky keyboards, typewriters and tapes etc.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Player inab turned me on to The Oh Sees. This is the very first "jam band" I enjoy. I might go see them in Chicago this September. Lots of tour dates in Europe right now. Good stuff.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

sinewav wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:40 pm
Word wrote:Just here to inform you that the batteries of my Blackstar mini amp are *still* going strong and I've used it A LOT.
Nice! Thanks for the update, I was just thinking about this amp the other day, trying to find a good excuse to buy it.
Four years later I bought a found an excuse to buy a Blackstar Fly Bass amp. I'm extremely happy with this purchase! I live in a quiet apartment complex and my Marshall MG10 just isn't appropriate and also not good for bass. The Blackstar amp sounds surprising good and versatile. The overdrive is decent. The compressor sucks really bad though. The attack/release time is nonsensical. I can only think of a few things it would be useful for, specifically finger or slap bass in a narrow temp range.

I like plugging one of my pocket operators into the input jack and jamming along. Super fun.
Word

Post by Word »

Glad you like it. :-) I mostly use a Felleretta Career amp (5 W). I've bought it at my local guitar store. The guy has some crazy amps on his website (currently under maintenance) and on his facebook page, mostly recycled electronic products of the past: https://www.facebook.com/Felleretta/
Future hobby? :moustache:
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:15 pmFelleretta Career amp
Interesting. About two meters away from me is a Fender Blues Junior amp that looks similar. My friend let me borrow it for practice because I'm scheduled to play a couple shows with his band over the next couple weeks. The Blues Junior has a great tube distortion and the built-in spring reverb can't be beat. It's really a great sounding amp, but not for my quiet apartment. The equalizer is barely responsive because I can't turn the amp up loud enough to sculpt the tone. I might try to find a good tube-distortion/spring-reverb software plugin because the sound makes me play a certain way. I won't have the amp forever, which is fine. The sound is a little too distinct and not versatile enough.
Word

Post by Word »

Yep, the Blues Junior served as the Career's blueprint, especially the 12 inch speaker. It's exactly right for my apartment, but then again I didn't consult my neighbours.
Kronkleberry
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Kronkleberry »

I've used a fender blues jr as my primary amp since I was 11 years old, I love the thing. I've found that the best tone for it has a minimum threshold is when the volume is ≤ 4.5 (assuming you have the FAT switch on, because why would you ever turn that off). That's kinda the sweet spot for where it kicks in and usually what I look for when I'm recording through it. Unfortunately that's extremely loud for a small space, especially in a shared building. As a solution I bought this little attenuator here that pushes the pre amp to get that sweet tube soft clipping you're looking for without deafening yourself and making your neighbors hate you. I would highly recommend it if you plan on using a fender tube amp for a long time, especially if you like to record on it.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Kronkleberry wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:39 pm(assuming you have the FAT switch on, because why would you ever turn that off).
I turned it off right away, ha. It's to aggressive sounding for my tastes. I like warm, clean, quiet sounds these days. Also, I can't turn the volume past 2. Way too loud for my apartment. The FAT boost is too much. That attenuator is a brilliant idea, I wasn't aware those existed. I bet I have all the parts needed to build my own, I should look around for a schematic.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I was a little metalhead back in the day (and I'm a big one now), so I was always into those Line6 things with the band presets. I sold it a few years ago along with my guitars, and I regret it every day. Some day I'll get myself another razorback, but I can't remember for the life of me what pickups I had in the old one. Shame really.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

delinquent wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:44 pmI was always into those Line6 things...
I have no experience with Line6 equipment. I am primarily a bass player who's sound and rig was decided on before Line6 existed, though I've heard lots of good things. The guitar/singer player in my band uses a Line6 HX Effects and some of the sounds are incredible.

Back on topic, a friend of mine got me listening to DIIV. They are crossing ground well-traveled, but in a refreshing way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWk1v5YSGUY
Word

Post by Word »

DIIV is great. This might be a little boring, but like everyone and their dog I listen to Kate Bush a lot again, thanks to this particular scene from the new season of Stranger Things. (Really, don't click the link if you're going to watch the show. It's best left unspoiled!)