Clans

What do you want to see here? Some more categories, forums, and mods? Hmm...

Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Good Idea!
50%
Bad Idea!
50%

Total votes: 24

DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Clans

Post by DDMJ »

Tank: did you ever think of creating a new category on the armagetron forums for clans. Right now the categories are Armagetron, Armagetron-Ad ons, Armagetron Network, etc. How about a category called Armagetron Clans. Then some forums called Clan Matches, Clan Tournaments, Clan Admins, Clan Servers, etc. so it could be much easier to arrange matches and tournaments and for clan admins to discuss different things. The FOC thing is kind of dumb since everyone will have to go register on another forums. Same thing by going to a clans forums you also have to register there and this gets annoying. Also 2020 wouldn't have to keep spamming about the Ladle in the general section, he could use the Clan Tournaments forum :wink:. How about giving this a thought?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ladle isn't a clan tournament, though, so even with a Clan Tournaments section, 2020 should still spam General with it. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Hi,

I think its a good idea. Clans are a big part of the community, and (I beleive) this forums aims to be a reflection of the community.

I have a vague recollection that this was mentioned before, and that one argument agains was "clans will generate clan-based traffic", which might not be of interess to all. That argument had a second weight when the forums was hosted on hard-drive and served on bandwidth provided out of Tank's (parents) pocket, but now that we are on sourceforge, it might be time to reconsider it.

Maybe by having clans spaces on this forum might bring both the clan and non-clan folks to see that the other side might not be that horrible ;).

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

It could be done but from past experience clans & the like for some reason don't like to use these forums. Maybe one for tournaments if someone would paste links to all the threads that currently exist and talk about tournaments.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Have you been to the CT forums lately?
So much rubbish. There are interesting topics in there if you look deep enough. You just have to trawl through the crap first.
If you allow all sorts of clans to make this forum their home it could so quickly go the same way.
But, at the same time, it would bring far more visitors to this site, perhaps getting more talent actively involved.
Last edited by ed on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

ed,

There are many forums out there where leet spelling is the norm,
there are many forums out there where bad grammer is the norm,
there are many forums out there where flame wars are the norm,
but we have good people who, through different methods, have
convinced the rest of the forum community that they gained more
to express themself in a clear and respectfull way.

So maybe our clan section is at risk to draw thoses curse upon
ourself, but with what I'd beleive are better odds, the welcomed
clans will find they too stand to gain from following our norms,
at least on this forum.

Or so do I hope.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Tbh most clans have thier own forum anyways for arranging matches etc.

Personaly I like to view here to get away from clan stuff :wink:
Outside Corner Grinder

?

Post by 2020 »

spamming?
me?

tut

i did ask for a tournament category
but i guess there hasn't been enough involvement to justify one yet...
and that's an open invitation for
clan and non-clan
noob and psyko-madmax-zop-style
monks monkeys and anyone brave enough to port onto the grid
hold the line
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

philippeqc wrote:ed,

There are many forums out there where leet spelling is the norm,
there are many forums out there where bad grammer is the norm,
there are many forums out there where flame wars are the norm,
but we have good people who, through different methods, have
convinced the rest of the forum community that they gained more
to express themself in a clear and respectfull way.

So maybe our clan section is at risk to draw thoses curse upon
ourself, but with what I'd beleive are better odds, the welcomed
clans will find they too stand to gain from following our norms,
at least on this forum.

Or so do I hope.

-ph

If someone mashes the keyboard and calls it a sentence and starts flaming everybody. Its not like anything cant be done about this. Go Mods. Go! :wink:

EDIT: it would definatly make these boards kind of fun. We all saw what wonderful gold dylan brought us. Modding is gonna be much funner.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

The general attitude of clans doesn't fit here IMO.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Are we the real non-clan now? heh.

I voted no, but I'm not opposed to it. I voted no because I think we can provide clan forums in a way where we could host clan forums for them and basically syndicate them into ours. Here's the thing, every clan has "private" forums of some sort, forums that are only available to clan-members to post and/or read. As long as they have those, they need their own forums, because I just don't see tank or anybody else here making all the stuff to give every clan their own private forums for whatever they want to talk about in them. Also, since Tank isn't a clanner, but he is in charge here, he'll have access to them anyway, and most clans will object to that. And as long as clans want private forums, they'll have to go get their own somewhere anyway, which means we can't bring them here completely.

What you're asking for would be better provided without the word "clan" in them at all. imo.

Besides, we get good clan traffic here. It'd be nice if we quit beating up on clanners every time they show up so they don't feel so unwelcome. It's one thing to have an opinion, quite another to use it as a reason to jump everybody's shit.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

I think it could make the bridge between developers and users smaller. I remember z-man not getting what people were calling 'tail-lag' because none of those players who used that term went to the forums. More people give more feedback, which should be good.

On the other hand, I don't think I (and the real developers even more so) would like to see 15 topics calling for the developers to 'fix lag'. (Btw, could that topic by z-man '10 things that cause lag' be stickied?)
EagleEye
Average Program

Post by EagleEye »

I just don't see tank or anybody else here making all the stuff to give every clan their own private forums for whatever they want to talk about in them.
Well, i dont think that giving each clan its own forum here is needed. Maybe just one clan forum. Maybe 2, one for fortress clans, one for high rubber clans. Overall i like the idea though.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

I don't see individual clans getting thier own private section of this forum anytime soon. I wouldnt mind having a section called <<Vs.>> or some such thing where clans could come to set up matches or Help tournaments form although right now there isnt a need for it i guess you kind of need a bunch more people on the forums that would want such a section. I guess that kind of leaves what im saying in a paradox. We need a section for clan members/tourny guys to join the forums but we need to have a large enough group of clan members/tourny guys to validate having such a section
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I see the forums here as "neutral ground". Lucifer is right, clans have their own forums, they always will have them to discuss intra-clan matters nobody else is interested in/should know about, to bitch about other clans, how much they suck and how much our clan rules, and general chit-chat (anti-clan stereotypes at work here). By its very nature, we can't bring this traffic here, it's clan private, and the clan forums are an essential part of a clan's identity.

Other clan-related stuff is different; there's the possibility of clan tournaments or clan vs clan friendly matches. The latter, I think, is usually arranged by a member of the challenging clan registering on the challanged clan's froum and posting the match challenge there; tournaments are more complicated to organize, therefore it would be convenient if they could be organized here, so the participant's of the last tournament (organized by SP on their forum) don't have to get accounts on CT's forum when the next tournament is organized by them.

So, in conclusion, I don't think this is the place for general clan stuff (hence I voted "bad idea"), but nevertheless, a general clan related subforum where they can organize tournaments and stuff would get my support. Forum-technical, that means I just don't want a subsubforum for each clan. And now I realize that's what Durka's initial post was basically about, so voting "good idea" and clarifying which parts I don't like (Clan Admins and etc., I guess) would have been better. Oh well.