0.2.8.0_rc4: Release process and bugs

Help test release candidates for the next release
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I don't think I completely understand the problem. :) It sounded like you couldn't do make install, which means OS X users couldn't use the unix build system to build and install. Is this only a problem for make dist? Does it otherwise work?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Lucifer wrote:I don't think I completely understand the problem. :) It sounded like you couldn't do make install, which means OS X users couldn't use the unix build system to build and install. Is this only a problem for make dist? Does it otherwise work?
1. Install fails because of using -r flag.
2. make dist fails because of using flags that are only available in gnu coreutils -- I don't mind this problem, it can stay broken for systems without GNU coreutils.

(1) is the error that I have a problem with, and it can be fixed by changing -r to -R (possibly for 0.2.8.0 release? It's not really a huge change...)

;)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Here's a macro I found that can probably be modified to suit your needs. Put special macros in acinclude.m4 and aclocal will copy them to aclocal.m4 during bootstrap.sh.

More macros can be found at:
http://autoconf-archive.cryp.to/

Code: Select all

AC_DEFUN([AC_PROG_CP_S],
[AC_REQUIRE([AC_PROG_LN_S])dnl
AC_MSG_CHECKING(whether cp -s works)
AC_CACHE_VAL(ac_cv_prog_CP_S,
[rm -f conftestdata
if cp -s X conftestdata 2>/dev/null
then
  rm -f conftestdata
  ac_cv_prog_CP_S="cp -s"
else
  ac_cv_prog_CP_S=cp
fi
if test "$LN_S" = "ln -s" ; then
  ac_cv_prog_CP_S="ln -s"
fi])dnl
CP_S="$ac_cv_prog_CP_S"
if test "$ac_cv_prog_CP_S" = "ln -s"; then
  AC_MSG_RESULT(using ln -s)
elif test "$ac_cv_prog_CP_S" = "cp -s"; then
  AC_MSG_RESULT(yes)
else
  AC_MSG_RESULT(no, using cp)
fi
AC_SUBST(CP_S)dnl
])

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Lucifer wrote:Here's a macro I found that can probably be modified to suit your needs. Put special macros in acinclude.m4 and aclocal will copy them to aclocal.m4 during bootstrap.sh.

More macros can be found at:
http://autoconf-archive.cryp.to/

<code snipped>
I'll take a look at using this, but I just changed to using -R instead (GNU coreutils treats -r and -R indifferently). Without this fix the game will not install on FreeBSD (and even if they have coreutils, the command would be gcp).
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

If any of you gets it to run on FreeBSD... it would be cool if it would run on OpenBSD too... =)

Any chance you could write a little docu about how you got it to work on FreeBSD? =)
- bel
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yes, I'll squeeze the -r -> -R change in. I don't know what changes are really required, so I just went through all occurences (even in files that aren't actually used anymore, like install.in). We don't actually want -a or especially -x in there, either, so I replaced them by -R as well.

I thought the mac builds were done without configure via XCode?

We can put better non-Linux Unix compatibility on the todo list for 0.2.8.1. We have the SF compile farm to do tests, and I'll start to fetch *BSD copies.