Server list loading gets stuck

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
D33P
Average Program

Server list loading gets stuck

Post by D33P »

I've heard some people talking about it on forums, and didn't see a thread dedicated to it yet, so I'm going to start one. For the past few weeks (don't know how many), I, along with many other people I've talked to, have been getting stuck on the server list loading at around the 100 server mark. It suddenly stops loading, and waiting it out (for me) tends to not work, as the window stops responding, so I end up having to force quit, open tron back up, change the screen size back to normal, and try again.

When this first started happening, it wasn't too frequent (maybe 1/5 of the time) and wasn't too much of an inconvenience. However, it's gotten to the point (happens 3/4 of the time now) where I sometimes have to wait 5-10 minutes just to get the list to appear.

Does anyone know the cause of this? Is there a way to fix the issue or prevent it from happening?

Edit: I use version 0.2.8.3.2
Last edited by D33P on Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malachi
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Server list loading gets stuck

Post by Malachi »

Ye this has been happening for me as well.

Is it the version I have?

I have 0.2.8.3.2 which is supposedly the most stable version.

My game just freezes whilst loading the server list and I get the swirling beach ball of death (Mac) for about 2 min.

It's a minor problem but I think if it isn't looked it may increase and become a major problem.
Toast

Post by Toast »

Also happening to me, stuck at 100 for 3 or 5 min then it eventually works

Been happening for around 2 weeks i think?
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

I would assume this may be due to zman changing server, so while the DNS is changing it may not be working correctly (when one of his master servers is selected to use)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Happens to me, too. At least, the part where the serve browser hangs. Z-man has been able to replicate that, but there's still a bit to do.

Can y'all provide debug recordings when it happens? When we try to replicate it from a recording, all the net communication comes from the recording. So, I don't know, maybe give the recording and a what the world looked like when you tried it?

Some bugs are harder to track than others. And this one may be an underlying library....

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I've seen this as well when I fired up the game yesterday. I seem to recall that the "Receiving servers" text skipped 100, going directly from 90 to 110.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Oops, looks like this was the bug I moaned about when I tested Lucifer's master. Turns out I had not, as I thought, compiled the master on the new VPS without authentication and so it was affected by the bug, too. Should be fixed now.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

How to debug record?
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Remember months ago when I complained about this and you all called it my fault?

I CACKLE AT YOU.

For reference (granted I was quite wrong about the cause.)

http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 41&t=23568