[Ubuntu] Failed to resolve hostname

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

[Ubuntu] Failed to resolve hostname

Post by Light »

This is something I've brought up in the past, that only seems to occur on Ubuntu. After moving to Debian, I no longer had this problem, but for other reasons, I needed Ubuntu back. So ...

When I try to view the LAN server list, the servers take a bit to respond, and some timeout (unavailable). When I try to view the main server list, I see the console output showing it failed to resolve hostname lightron.no-ip.org when viewing the LAN list. When I load the main list though, I get a bunch of other messages of the same, for different addresses.

It seems the only ones affected by this are the ones that use a DNS server address. It seems odd to me that this only happens on Ubuntu though, and not other distros. Also, I've tried clearing the master list file as Z-Man suggested before when I brought this up to him, and had no luck.

I'll attatch a debug if it's of any help.
Thanks.
Attachments
armagetron.txt
(488.29 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: [Ubuntu] Failed to resolve hostname

Post by Z-Man »

I suppose the difference between distributions comes from differences in DNS timeout values. The root problem is that some DNS resolutions simply time out, especially those from some free dynamic DNS providers. Lacking better threading support, 0.2.8 handles those cases poorly, this has been fixed for 0.4.

What you can do: switch to a more reliable DNS host?
Light

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:I suppose the difference between distributions comes from differences in DNS timeout values. The root problem is that some DNS resolutions simply time out, especially those from some free dynamic DNS providers. Lacking better threading support, 0.2.8 handles those cases poorly, this has been fixed for 0.4.

What you can do: switch to a more reliable DNS host?
I do use 0.4, and when it comes to using it anywhere else, I have no problems. And pinging it is less than 1ms response time.

Code: Select all

64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=2 ttl=64 time=0.387 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=3 ttl=64 time=0.403 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=4 ttl=64 time=0.377 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=5 ttl=64 time=0.426 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=6 ttl=64 time=0.368 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=7 ttl=64 time=0.409 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=8 ttl=64 time=0.366 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=9 ttl=64 time=0.401 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=10 ttl=64 time=0.364 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=11 ttl=64 time=0.395 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=12 ttl=64 time=0.374 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=13 ttl=64 time=0.428 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=14 ttl=64 time=0.422 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=15 ttl=64 time=0.407 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=16 ttl=64 time=0.427 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=17 ttl=64 time=0.412 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=18 ttl=64 time=0.426 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=19 ttl=64 time=0.414 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=20 ttl=64 time=0.441 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=21 ttl=64 time=0.428 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=22 ttl=64 time=0.403 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=23 ttl=64 time=0.420 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=24 ttl=64 time=0.406 ms
64 bytes from xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-dhcp.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): icmp_req=25 ttl=64 time=0.432 ms
Light

Post by Light »

Er .. thanks for puttin' me on the right track. Apparently you can't use your router IP as the DNS server on connection, you have to explicitly put the DNS servers in, even if they're specified on the router.

That fixed it ..
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Weird, usually routers do have working DNS servers.
Light

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:Weird, usually routers do have working DNS servers.
It worked fine everywhere else I did it, and that's why I've always done it in Ubuntu. I explicitly set the same DNS servers used on the router, and it worked fine. Idk .. Just glad it got figured out. I forgot about it when I decided to come back to Ubuntu for a while.