How about implementing the * chat icon ingame?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

How about implementing the * chat icon ingame?

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Hey guys!

Thinking about how the 0.4 Trunk Version has the * icon beside the player's names to indicate that they are chatting, I had decided that it should also exist in the other versions. I have already implemented it into the Alpha Project's code and you can find it here.

Source: Launchpad: Alpha Project - ePlayer.cpp
Inside:

Code: Select all

tString ePlayerNetIDs::Ranking( int MAX, bool cut )
You will notice that I have added

ret.SetPos(2, cut);
before the

ret << tColoredString::ColorString(1,.5,.5);
and the same with

if (p->IsChatting())
                line << "*";
            line.SetPos(2, cut);
Source: Launchpad: Alpha Project - eTeam.cpp
Inside:

tString eTeam::Ranking( int MAX, bool cut )
You will notice that I have added

ret.SetPos(2, cut);
before the

ret << tColoredString::ColorString(1,.5,.5);
How does it sound guys? Pretty simple to implement I hope. I've already got it running on my windows client.
Magi
Match Winner

Re: How about implementing the * chat icon ingame?

Post by Magi »

No offense, but I can usually tell when someone is chatting. Seems kind of useless.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Magi wrote:No offense, but I can usually tell when someone is chatting. Seems kind of useless.
Pewphead! It's fun to see when people are chatting though :P
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

None taken :)
I just thought that it would help those (especially admins) to see who is chatting and who is not.
And as Ratchet said, it also could be fun to see them considering you can simply watch their switch come on and off :P
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I still don't get this. Isn't the big yellow arrow over a chatbot and/or, in the case of a dead/spectating player, the fact that, you know, chat is displayed on your screen indication enough that someone is chatting?
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

True but with some camera views, the yellow indicator disappears.

Besides, it's easier to use to check scores to see who is chatting than to try and look at the bike's yellow indicators.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

If I'm alive...I don't care who the hell is chatting...and I'm not going to check the score to see if they're chatting. lol

bye
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

LOVER$BOY wrote:I had decided that it should also exist in the other versions.
Theres a reason why it hasnt been implemented in other versions. And also, the * in the score table or the yellow triangle doesnt mean the player is chatting exclusively, it also means the window is out of focus.
Magi wrote:If I'm alive...I don't care who the hell is chatting...and I'm not going to check the score to see if they're chatting. lol
Nobody is going to develop based on YOUR needs. If you dont find this useful, just say so and walk away. We dont care what you care about.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

I'm pretty sure the majority of tronners would agree that they're not focused on someone talking, and the point of the matter is that like it's already been said, most people can tell when someone is chatting via chat on their screen.

bye
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Magi wrote:I'm pretty sure the majority of tronners would agree that they're not focused on someone talking, and the point of the matter is that like it's already been said, most people can tell when someone is chatting via chat on their screen.
So let me get this straight, you are opposing this feature because you believe the majority of players dont need to know when other players are chatting?
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

nux wrote:the yellow triangle doesnt mean the player is chatting exclusively, it also means the window is out of focus.
Er, if you're contending what I think you are--that the triangle will appear when someone is playing in windowed mode, then selects a different window, putting Arma in the background--then, false. It only appears when the chat, console, or menu key is engaged. That's why we call it a chatbot, eh.
Nobody is going to develop based on YOUR needs. ... We dont care what you care about. ...you are [expressing an opinion about] this feature because you believe the majority of players...
So just who the hell do you think the game is developed for? And who is this "we" of whom you speak and are including yourself?
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

Nux, you can say I'm opposing it if you want, I'm just not sure what the point of this feature would be. Pretty obvious to me when people are chatting. I see their name, I see the text, oh hey look, they're chatting. If they're chatting in game and alive, they're apt to die because of it, and they should know that chatting will get them killed. Just an extra little feature that wouldn't serve much of a purpose.

bye
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Well if it doesn't seem that much useful then don't implement it.
As for me, I'll keep it in Alpha Project's production.
It's a lot easier for admin to see who is chatting/idle than to keep clicking the movement buttons to go and see what the other players are doing.

Besides, I've implemented commands that allows the admins to see who is chatting :P
CHATTER_... commands do the trick for Alpha Project.

Sorry if this idea caused such a fuss. :(
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Phytotron wrote:
nux wrote:the yellow triangle doesnt mean the player is chatting exclusively, it also means the window is out of focus.
Er, if you're contending what I think you are--that the triangle will appear when someone is playing in windowed mode, then selects a different window, putting Arma in the background--then, false. It only appears when the chat, console, or menu key is engaged. That's why we call it a chatbot, eh.
Oh really? Then how do you explain this? (bottom one is the active one, taken in CTWF)

http://www.imagebin.com.ar/index.php/view/53734431
Phytotron wrote:
Nobody is going to develop based on YOUR needs. ... We dont care what you care about. ...you are [expressing an opinion about] this feature because you believe the majority of players...
So just who the hell do you think the game is developed for? And who is this "we" of whom you speak and are including yourself?
"We" as in developers (although not necessarily for Arma) and "you" as in whoever talks crap about a feature they dont personally find useful. There is a line between saying "i dont find this useful" and "this is useless". But dont get me wrong, i do believe everybody is entitled to their opinion, but there is no need to bring LOVER$BOY's contribution down for no real reason. And no, this is not a real reason:
I'm pretty sure the majority of tronners would agree that they're not focused on someone talking, and the point of the matter is that like it's already been said, most people can tell when someone is chatting via chat on their screen.
This is pure speculation; if in doubt, read the first 3 words.

@LOVER$BOY: if you see me online, message me, i wanna tell you something. Ill try to remember but i cant promise anything.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Very perceptive reasons, you got there nux :)

nux if it's private, how about pming me or sending me a message at my clan website?
Anyway, I'll pm you when I see you online (hopefully soon).