improved scoreboard :)

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

improved scoreboard :)

Post by AI-team »

Patch: http://pastebin.com/MKmtH3Lw

It's tested and works with local and dedicated servers.
The only thing I don't like about it, is the fact that both servers AND clients need to run this patch and since 70% of the servers out there are sty+ct-servers, someone would have to adjust the patch for them.
Nevertheless I think it's a step in the right direction :wink:
Attachments
Too lazy to crop
Too lazy to crop

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Re: improved scoreboard :)

Post by Tank Program »

Hmm. I'm pretty sure it should be possible to count deaths without needing to sync it. Not so sure about kills. Also, the score table looks a bit wide now. I suspect that on 4:3 or 5:4 screens it won't look as good. Maybe it'd be possible to hide the kills/deaths columns depending on the server score settings? (If this information is sent from the server it should be possible to back calculate kills!) Personally I've never really thought about having such an addition to the table, but I suppose it could be useful to others. Good work.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

Tank Program wrote:Also, the score table looks a bit wide now. I suspect that on 4:3 or 5:4 screens it won't look as good.
Well I have a 22" screen, so maybe someone with a smaller screen could apply the patch and upload a screenshot
Tank Program wrote:Maybe it'd be possible to hide the kills/deaths columns depending on the server score settings? (If this information is sent from the server it should be possible to back calculate kills!)
I'm afraid the server doesn't send SCORE_KILL so this is out of the question.

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Not that I think we even need kills/deaths on the scoreboard, you can save space by combining them to one column: K/D
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

does that column contain the real kdr or just kill/deaths?

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It definitely needs to be configurable on both the client and server side. Sometimes, values don't make sense, and some players won't like the clutter.

Oh, and protocol error. You can't just move protobuf elements around, you can only add new ones. Old ID numbers need to stay the same. And technically, your additions need to come after legacy_sync_end. Though adding them just before that makes it at least possible to backport the change compatibly.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

I'd love to have that, gj :D
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

Z-Man wrote:It definitely needs to be configurable on both the client and server side. Sometimes, values don't make sense, and some players won't like the clutter.
I was thinking of adding a new category under "Display Settings", how does that sound?
Z-Man wrote:Oh, and protocol error. You can't just move protobuf elements around, you can only add new ones. Old ID numbers need to stay the same. And technically, your additions need to come after legacy_sync_end. Though adding them just before that makes it at least possible to backport the change compatibly.
I'm yet not fully aware of how protobuf works, but I'll change that right now :oops:

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

A few problems I see:

- The content isn't universally applicable.
- "Kills" oftentimes equates with score; redundant.
- "Deaths" are often irrelevant; clutter.
- The very use of the words "kills" and "deaths;" unfitting, crude, unoriginal. I thought we were moving away from that sort of terminology.
- Stats shouldn't be part of the scoreboard. The scoreboard should only contain what's relevant to that game at that moment. Maybe you could develop a separate stats board—be it as an optional part of the HUD or toggle-able like the scoreboard.
- I'll reiterate the bit about it potentially being too wide for 4:3 screens.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Phytotron wrote:- The content isn't universally applicable.
That's why it's going to be configurable.
Phytotron wrote:- "Deaths" are often irrelevant; clutter.
Ah. See, that's why it should be displayed. It is irrelevant to the game, but it can't be deduced from other displayed information and is of interest.
Unless you mean the standard mode where you are expected to die every round, where it is really irrelevant.
Phytotron wrote:- The very use of the words "kills" and "deaths;" unfitting, crude, unoriginal. I thought we were moving away from that sort of terminology.
Philosophically, I agree. We generally use "Core Dumps" for kills and "Segfaults" for deaths in displayed texts. But: those words are longer, space is scarce and abbreviations are going to be confusing. Everyone familiar with online games knows what K/D would mean on a scoreboard; C/S, not so much. I'd like to see it peppered with Tronish flavour, so suggestions would be welcome, but priority is usability.
Phytotron wrote:- Stats shouldn't be part of the scoreboard. The scoreboard should only contain what's relevant to that game at that moment. Maybe you could develop a separate stats board—be it as an optional part of the HUD or toggle-able like the scoreboard.
There I fundamentally disagree. The scoreboard as we have it now is the perfect place for these kinds of stats. It's fullscreen, so if we have a place for it anywhere, it's there. The condensed version with just the score (and not the additional stuff we already have, like the ping) is what should be part of the HUD.
Again, I won't merge it unless it's fully configurable on the client and server side. On old servers or servers that don't consider the information relevant, the new columns would be disabled. If you never want to see them, you don't have to.

By the way, how about we ditch the 'Member of Team' column and instead display individual player stats right below their respective team score? So they're no longer sorted by their individual scores, but by team and team score first. This would get rid of the annoying "CT on Top" chats you get now, too :)
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

You could just use w/l (win/loss) as gridstats is already using that format for duels.
Or a single word ("dumps"; "closed" - so you'd also put down 'open' a bit :P ) and below that the two values with a / between them - players should be able to figure out themselves which is which.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

*I* wouldn't know what a column titled 'closed' means any more that a column titled 'arglbargl'. Even in this context, I'm not entirely sure it's supposed to be deaths and not kills.
Dumps would be fine, if to the amusement of 13 year olds.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

Z-Man wrote:
Phytotron wrote:- The content isn't universally applicable.
That's why it's going to be configurable.
I've already made it configurable on the client side (will upload a screenshot later) and I'm sitting on the server side right now.
Z-Man wrote:
Phytotron wrote:- The very use of the words "kills" and "deaths;" unfitting, crude, unoriginal. I thought we were moving away from that sort of terminology.
Philosophically, I agree. We generally use "Core Dumps" for kills and "Segfaults" for deaths in displayed texts. But: those words are longer, space is scarce and abbreviations are going to be confusing. Everyone familiar with online games knows what K/D would mean on a scoreboard; C/S, not so much. I'd like to see it peppered with Tronish flavour, so suggestions would be welcome, but priority is usability.
I also thought about making it "core dumps" but especially in other languages the translation would be too long.
Z-Man wrote:By the way, how about we ditch the 'Member of Team' column and instead display individual player stats right below their respective team score? So they're no longer sorted by their individual scores, but by team and team score first.
That's a great idea. I will experiment around with that once I get the configuration working!
Z-Man wrote:This would get rid of the annoying "CT on Top" chats you get now, too :)
You really need to play more. Nowadays hardly any CTs manage to get on top :P

AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

I think that's the best way to implement the scoreboard configuration on the client side
Attachments
scoreboard_1.png
scoreboard_2.png

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Well, one thing I will say: At least you put it in the menu rather than making it a "resource" or something. I'm not looking forward to 0.4's cockpit for that reason, because I don't want to use someone else's (none of those on the wiki are close to satisfactory; too much crap, including those goofy bars), and frankly I don't want to take the time learning how to "code" (so to speak) a resource just for the cockpit, and I'm not keen on asking someone else to go to the trouble of doing it for me, either—though I guess I'll have to. :/ :x

The condensed version with just the score (and not the additional stuff we already have, like the ping) is what should be part of the HUD.
Wait, are you suggesting making the players' scores a permanent part of the HUD? I have to strongly object to that. That's even more clutter, something I don't want on my screen permanently. But it's something I need to check, which is why it should be toggle-able as the scoreboard is now. Not something constantly displayed in the HUD. Come on.