Development in Progress

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Fazeuout
On Lightcycle Grid

Development in Progress

Post by Fazeuout »

Currently i'm 14 and have wanted to learn C++ but there's just never been motivation to learn anything other than C# so I've stuck with that. However this game is an inspiration to learn C++ and so i'm starting to learn and teach myself C++. I've only developed for Iphone before this so this whole C++ thing is completely new to me. My two current projects are...

Making a code hack sort of like shooting but its Shooting + other types of what you would call "Magic." There would be abilities like placing dz's that stand still, adding different effects to the room of the map your in like changing the direction you go to opposite mode by pressing a key and all sorts of other stuff. The hack would also change input config some so that you can choose magics while in a magic server.

The other thing I'm working on is adding custom menu to the game. Basically you'd have 5 different Menu spots and you can set which menu items you use most as an item on this custom menu. In Input Config in the regular settings you would define the key that opens the default menu.

Just some stuff that I thought I could do in the process of learning C++.

P.S. Development Team: I think you should make a game guide. So when someone downloads the game he/she can have an easy reference without having to memorize urls to find how to do 2binds, 3binds, 4binds, Color codes etc. It could all be a compilation of wiki articles and stuff thats made in 5 minutes. It would be stored in a txt file that comes with the game. It would be helpful I think for a lot of people. Just clear and simple would work, nothing fancy in game strategy or fortress defense tips, just basic skills explained.

Do you guys think these are cool ideas?
Fazeuout
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Development in Progress

Post by Fazeuout »

Sorry I forgot to mention. Ill make the guide if you'd like. If you'll include it
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

Good Luck. Where are you going to release it?
Fazeuout wrote:P.S. Development Team: I think you should make a game guide. So when someone downloads the game he/she can have an easy reference without having to memorize urls to find how to do 2binds, 3binds, 4binds, Color codes etc. It could all be a compilation of wiki articles and stuff thats made in 5 minutes. It would be stored in a txt file that comes with the game. It would be helpful I think for a lot of people. Just clear and simple would work, nothing fancy in game strategy or fortress defense tips, just basic skills explained.
Have you noticed the Tutorials / Challenges in 0.4 allready?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Also the help submenu that directs people to the wiki.
Fazeuout wrote:Making a code hack sort of like shooting but its Shooting + other types of what you would call "Magic."
Theme notice: The game is about programs battling it out in a simulated environment. "Hacks" would be the better term.
Fazeuout wrote:There would be abilities like placing dz's that stand still
Hmm, you're already dropping pretty much the equivalent of death zones all of the time. I find it hard to imagine this could bring anything new to the table. Yeah, you can make it 'work' by making it use up a scarce resource, but I think game elements need to be fun before you do that. Resource management should just be the icing on an already delicious cake.
Fazeuout wrote:adding different effects to the room of the map your in like changing the direction you go to opposite mode by pressing a key
You mean, reverse the controls? That could be difficult. It requires client cooperation or the extrapolation the clients do will be wrong and horrible, and that would give cheating clients the information they need to completely negate the effect. I'd be careful to add elements that allow for cheat clients (we have two currently, both just in corner cases of rarely used settings)
Fazeuout wrote:The hack would also change input config some so that you can choose magics while in a magic server.
That's something on the list. Look at eNetGameObject::SendControl and eNetGameObject::ReceiveControl, they provide the network infrastructure for custom actions; you'd just need to define the uActionPlayer objects to represent hacks. I'd be swell if they'd be just named 'Custom Command X' initially and while you're on a server supporting them, get renamed to 'Custom Command X (Press To Win)'. And you probably should change the ID of the network message, old servers have a bug in ReceiveControl so it's best to avoid accidentally triggering that.
Fazeuout wrote:The other thing I'm working on is adding custom menu to the game. Basically you'd have 5 different Menu spots and you can set which menu items you use most as an item on this custom menu. In Input Config in the regular settings you would define the key that opens the default menu.
You'll probably find this difficult due to the way the menus work. Some are static objects you can just activate at will, but many are dynamically created as you activate them. The best way to go about this may be to store the 'path' from the relevant top menu, like 'Main Menu/Player Config/Player 3/Camera Input Configuration', and replay that on demand. Where possible, it should use the language independent strings. Getting the UI for setting those shortcuts right is also challenging.
And if this turns out to be doable, I'd go one step further: activate the menus directly with just one keypress, not via the custom menu intermediate step.
Fazeuout
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Fazeuout »

Got it thanks for the advice. I'm mostly just studying the src code right now and figuring out how you all built the game. That will be helpful when doing this stuff. Honestly even if these ideas won't do much its a fun way to learn C++ so i'm going for it.
Fazeuout
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Fazeuout »

LOL! Fail cannot believe I didn't see that. Well done development team. Your always 2 steps ahead of my brain.