Dedicated Server: Help

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
Vader
On Lightcycle Grid

Dedicated Server: Help

Post by Vader »

Hi, newbie at server setup here. I'm developing a dedicated server (A Dogfight server) and I'm having trouble getting it to connect to the internet. I set TALK_TO_MASTER to 1, but the server connects to the LAN instead. Does anyone know how to fix this?
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Dedicated Server: Help

Post by INW »

can we really make a sticky for this subject....hasnt there been like 1 million of these topics made in the last month?...i wonder if it is the same person using their different alias logins......
Vader
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Vader »

How kind. It's not that I have any trouble with settings and the like. I'm just wondering HOW to post it onto the Internet servers.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Hello Vader and welcome to the ArmagetronAd forums. Can you tell us a little more about your setup? Is your dedicated server on a home computer, trying to talk to the Internet? Have you set your firewall properly? Are you familiar with port forwarding? (more info)

Please refresh your memory and the steps you've taken so far with this page in the Armagatron Wiki. Give us as much detail as possible, even if you need to tell us what you do step-by-step until you reach a problem.

@INW: Please try to make a good first impression. This forum already has a welcome thread that gives many links to resources, so there is no need for a sticky. It wouldn't help too much anyway. :wink:
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

INW wrote:can we really make a sticky for this subject
Pretty much everything we have to say is in the FAQ, which is linked to in the fat READ BEFORE POSTING thread in the support forum.
Vader
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Vader »

I'm hosting from home on an older, not as much used, Windows XP. I have port forwarding enabled, and play Armagetron Advanced V. 0.2.8.3.1.
The server shows up on LAN. I connect to it via the same computer on the normal Armagetron.exe - Should I be connecting/disconnecting on another computer?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Hmm, that setup should work, the fact the client runs on the same PC should not matter. what's your global IP so we can check the master logs?
Vader
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Vader »

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

My master gets told about the server all right, but ping attempts fail. Custom connection from the outside fails, too. You probably should re-check your port forwarding; the port is 4534, protocol UDP, and you need to give your router the INTERNAL IP of your server (likely something starting with 192.168).
Vader
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Vader »

How would I do that? I'm not that good with the port forwarding, I got it set-up at least...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, basically repeating the setup steps :) The details depend on your router type. Check our FAQ again, it has links to portforward.com where you can pick your model and just follow instructions.
Vader
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Vader »

Ok...I set it up again, but it still won't connect? What should I do now?