0.2.8 (beta 3 tagged)

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Ok, theres still a problem. The directory is created fine, but armagetron says

Code: Select all

Error in int SDL_main(int, char**) in ../src/tron/gArmagetron.cpp:376 : 
        var directory not writable or does not exist. Don't start Armagetron directly, use the wrapper script in /usr/local/bin.
so I don't know whats going on. I'm going try going back to VAR_DIR :-\

Edit: kinda worked. except the game doesn't create user.cfg, so more stuff will have to be added into SDLMain.mm :-\
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

nemostultae wrote:Ok, theres still a problem.
Try it now, nemo. Just moved all the directory creating code into tDirectories... :)
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Luke-Jr wrote:
Try it now, nemo. Just moved all the directory creating code into tDirectories... :)
You sure? last change was by z-man 18 hours ago to beautify the code.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

nemostultae wrote:
Luke-Jr wrote:
So... tell me why again you're not an AA dev? =p
SourceForge anonymous CVS mirrors are on a delay... wait until they update again or get dev perms from Tank.
http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/armagetronad says:

01:15 on May 07, 2005  armagetronad
   Commit by luke-jr  ::  armagetronad/src/macosx/SDLMain.mm: 
 Drop directory creation from OS-specific stuff 
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Luke-Jr wrote:
nemostultae wrote:
Luke-Jr wrote: Try it now, nemo. Just moved all the directory creating code into tDirectories... :)
So... tell me why again you're not an AA dev? =p
SourceForge anonymous CVS mirrors are on a delay... wait until they update again or get dev perms from Tank.
http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/armagetronad says:

01:15 on May 07, 2005  armagetronad
   Commit by luke-jr  ::  armagetronad/src/macosx/SDLMain.mm: 
 Drop directory creation from OS-specific stuff 
bah, guess I'll have to wait :(

I can't connect to http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/armagetronad but http://www.navi.cx works

Edit: works now Edit of the Edit: I mean navi.cx works
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Whoever added the Keep Window Active option is awesome. 8)

@luke-jr: in gArmagetron.cpp, line 353. The code to create the directories needs to be run before this. Using the code in SDLMain.mm is a workaround. For example, what if you use a dedicated server on mac os x. Dedicated doesn't use SDL, so no directory creation code. :o All other platforms use an installer and create the directories, right?

Also needs to be added (since no installer on OS X): the files that need to be in config/ have to be copied over at first launch.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

nemostultae wrote:@luke-jr: in gArmagetron.cpp, line 353. The code to create the directories needs to be run before this. Using the code in SDLMain.mm is a workaround.
The Open call now uses GetWritePath as it should... This fixed it in my test environment. Try again :)
nemostultae wrote:All other platforms use an installer and create the directories, right?
Nope. Linux uses a wrapper script in batch/starter whenever you run the game to create directories. With the changes to tDirectories I've been working on, we *should* be able to remove (or at least) shrink the script.
nemostultae wrote:Also needs to be added (since no installer on OS X): the files that need to be in config/ have to be copied over at first launch.
Nope. AA should look for the config directory in DATA_DIR, not USER_DATA_DIR.
FYI: The Linux setup is in effect installer-less also-- there's a set program directory (as there is an App directory in OS X), but the user's data dir is assumed to not exist.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Can we get support for 16:9 aspect ratio in the GUI? Seems like all you have to do is establish a list of common horizontal resolutions, have another line for aspect ratio, then just multiple the horizontal resolutions by the vertical to build the list of available resolutions.

Would that be too tricky? :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Actually, there should be no need to build a list that way. I think SDL has a function that lists all available resolutions. However, it was not available when I started (I think), and I never got around to using it later.
Have you tried the CUSTOM_SCREEN_* settings? At least for the game, they should give you correct aspect ratio.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

z-man wrote:Actually, there should be no need to build a list that way. I think SDL has a function that lists all available resolutions. However, it was not available when I started (I think), and I never got around to using it later.
Have you tried the CUSTOM_SCREEN_* settings? At least for the game, they should give you correct aspect ratio.
I have, and I've been able to get it tweaked a bit, but always had some horizontal stretching. Now that I've got linux + 3d acceleration setup on my laptop I'll be beating on it some more. The nvidia driver in linux doesn't stretch horizontally so I should be able to get it working pretty well with the custom settings.

I was just thinking that with the wider usage of 16:9 aspect ratio laptops, aa should support them more directly. :)

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Right, Lucifer. I added a bug entry for it (because it's more than just a feature request).
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

I've finished adding string searching to the message code. This takes away the ability to /msg NetIDs, because player names can consist of either numbers, symbols, or letters. But using this way is just as quick, for example you could message me by typing /msg nem, and if no other player had "nem" in their name, it would work. It is now easy to message players with color code in their name.

Right now it uses the brute-force method to search, but another algorithm could be adopted easily. I just need to make modifications to the code, and I will post a diff soon. And after that, I will finish up the Favorite Server menu ;)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Good concept.

AFAIK, there is nothing much better than the brute force method for substring matching (for sensible values of "much" and "better", I know there are faster methods, much faster if you don't mind wasting tons of memory), and it's only activated on user input on a very limited data set. No need to worry about it eating performance.
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

Lucifer wrote: I was just thinking that with the wider usage of 16:9 aspect ratio laptops, aa should support them more directly. :)
Correct me if im wrong but most wide screen laptops are WXGA (1280x800) to SWXGA (1600x1050) which make them 16:10 ?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

subby wrote: Correct me if im wrong but most wide screen laptops are WXGA (1280x800) to SWXGA (1600x1050) which make them 16:10 ?
You're totally wrong! That can't possibly be!

/me gets out a calculator

Oh yeah, you're right. :)

Seriously, I wasn't even aware there were other implemented aspect ratios. Learn something new every couple of weeks or something like that...

- Iron Maiden