0.2.8 (beta 3 tagged)

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

The message code is mostly working. There is one thing needed to be fixed: for example: /msg nemo hi nemo. This would send me a message, but it will also send the "nemo" part. So the message to me is "nemo hi nemo". Heres a diff if you want to mess around with it. (I don't know how to diff against multiple files, so you must add

Code: Select all

// Message code stuff
int CompareBufferToPlayerNames(tString);
int BruteForceStrCompare(tString,int,tString,int);
to the end of ePlayer.h before that last #endif).

The file is actually zipped.
Attachments
message_code-01.diff.zip
Expand and patch :)
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

nemostultae wrote:The message code is mostly working. There is one thing needed to be fixed: for example: /msg nemo hi nemo. This would send me a message, but it will also send the "nemo" part. So the message to me is "nemo hi nemo".
Should be simple to fix...
nemostultae wrote:Heres a diff if you want to mess around with it. (I don't know how to diff against multiple files,
Copy the source directory before you mess with it and do

Code: Select all

diff -ur armagetron.BASEDON armagetron.MSG
nemostultae wrote:The file is actually zipped.
Blarg. If you're going to compress it, at least use gzip of bzip2 so I can zcat it to patch =p
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Also, patch doesn't like spaces in pathnames =p
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Luke-Jr wrote:Should be simple to fix...
fixed
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sorry, I was offline for some hours and did not notice nemo was still working on it. Meanwhile, I already fixed the patch up for integration. I changed the search behavior in the same way, too. Another functional change I did was that now all paticipants ( sender, receiver and server ) get the same line

sender ---> receiver : message

because sometimes, more than one player sits on one machine and then they would not know who the message was for. That, and the formatting of the original messages hopelessly confused me.

And I fixed a bug in ID handling. Player ID and network client ID are something totally unrelated, and at one point they got mixed.

Nemo: where do you want to get the code review? Here or in private? No terrible atrocities have been committed, just little sins ( some of them obviously copied from other contributors of the chat handling :) ). If we make it public, everyone can see what a bastard nitpicker I am, just like Luke :twisted:
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

z-man wrote:Sorry, I was offline for some hours and did not notice nemo was still working on it. Meanwhile, I already fixed the patch up for integration. I changed the search behavior in the same way, too. Another functional change I did was that now all paticipants ( sender, receiver and server ) get the same line

sender ---> receiver : message

because sometimes, more than one player sits on one machine and then they would not know who the message was for. That, and the formatting of the original messages hopelessly confused me.

And I fixed a bug in ID handling. Player ID and network client ID are something totally unrelated, and at one point they got mixed.

Nemo: where do you want to get the code review? Here or in private? No terrible atrocities have been committed, just little sins ( some of them obviously copied from other contributors of the chat handling :) ). If we make it public, everyone can see what a bastard nitpicker I am, just like Luke :twisted:
Message me here :wink:

Edit: message code is now in cvs. Jonathan's /team message code shall be added also.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Nemo read

Post by Luke-Jr »

Nemo please try doing an OS X of current CVS now. I've got code to handle ~ and such added :)
some win32 person, please advise on how to make tools/tDirectories.cpp/expand_home work on your broken OS.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Re: Nemo read

Post by dlh »

Luke-Jr wrote:Nemo please try doing an OS X of current CVS now. I've got code to handle ~ and such added :)
some win32 person, please advise on how to make tools/tDirectories.cpp/expand_home work on your broken OS.
It is working now. 8)
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Will there be a way to toggle transparent walls? Heres my problem with them:

Go to the outer-rim, and use your glance keys. Your camera swings outside the outer rim-wall blocking off your view of all other rim-walls, they suddenly disappear from your view. When there are many walls, it gets difficult to see where you are going, too.

edit: disabling high rim helps, but there still is that floor rendering bug on my machine :(
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Can someone who speaks German please translate these messages:

"Too many matches found for [search term]. Please be more specific.
"No matches were found that contained [search term]".
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Both tasks sound like they are my job.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

My instant chat binds are not being saved when I change them in-game. Net settings are reset too (lag_o_meter, ping charity). Perhaps this is the last of the resetting settings? :D
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yes. I disabled the resetting today in CVS. Well, not quite, I properly implemented it. Only the settings the server has contol over are reverted to their defaults. Others stay untouched. (All the configuration items that were reported to have problems are among them.) Sorry for the inconvenience.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

There are a few problems I've been noticing playing on my server:

The first is phasing, or what common-folk like me call going through another player's wall. It happens frequently, more so when arena_axes is greater than four. Your_mom + others can back me up on how much this has happened. There have been reports of this happening on 2.7.1 servers, and I know it happens on 2.7.0 and less servers.

Second, with arena_axes greater than four, your double binds become very helpful. Well, for these situations I may use up to sextuple binds (not easy on the hands, but you turn on a dime). But under these conditions, sometimes a section of wall will disappear. You can drive through the missing piece. I only have a picture of a small hole, but sometimes they get to be pretty big.

I should note that I set the rubber on my server a little high (50-100 :o ), and delay anywhere from .01-.03.

Note: PNG screenshot worked, but upon next restart it again went back to not working and causing a crash. odd :|
Attachments
arena_axes 12 or 16
arena_axes 12 or 16
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

I think there are too many redering and game problems(*) appearing because of the axis/map code. I feel those are pretty much show stoppers for any kind of release.

If this cant be fixed for the deadline set by luke, I propose that it (axis/map) be moved out of the release. I dont want people (inclusive of the aa crowd out there that doesnt follow this forum) to have a negative perception of the whole map/axis idea as my goal is to push it (whole world concept) forward, not to have to stop to argue and defend every step of it. Enough time already went on that.

I feel it will require much hard work to hammer those problems out of the code, as the whole axis problem seems to break many of the reasonable assumptions that z-man used for the 4 axes version. Much digging in the code for my part so I can go and put new unreasonable assuptions ;).

I understand that many of you will be dissapointed if the axis/map code doesnt make the release. But understand my desire to give you something that wont cause more problems than it is worth.

Thanks

-ph

(*) Problems that I know of:
-nemo's hole in the wall
-traces coming at angles to the cycle instead of right from behind.
Canis meus id comedit.