CVS test server

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Tank Program wrote:
iceman wrote:ileast annoying but still : name color blocking grrrrrrrrrr
ive told u a dozen times that this is fixed in cvs
I've specifically asked Iceman to list all issues of 0.2.7.0, even those he already reported. He can't know what is important to me.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

z-man wrote:
Tank Program wrote:
iceman wrote:ileast annoying but still : name color blocking grrrrrrrrrr
ive told u a dozen times that this is fixed in cvs
I've specifically asked Iceman to list all issues of 0.2.7.0, even those he already reported. He can't know what is important to me.
Can we have color blocking in names as an option? Or some way to gracefully recover from players being lazy and leaving the color codes so that it screws up chat a little bit? (That's my caveat with it, players don't usually put a white color code at the end)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Lucifer wrote: Can we have color blocking in names as an option? Or some way to gracefully recover from players being lazy and leaving the color codes so that it screws up chat a little bit? (That's my caveat with it, players don't usually put a white color code at the end)
We can have both, but it's a bit of work. I'll add a bug report and a feature request.

Edit ( so I don't bump this thread ):
CVS 2 is down for the weekend. I'm one of those crazy people who actually turn their computers off sometimes :) CVS 1 is just getting the improvements made over the day. Those include
- the security fix for Jonathan
- improvements to the eGameObject movement code: rubber should now work reliably, you won't get stuck while grinding
- improved rubber logic: before, the anti-rip rubber code would stop you cold at a certain distance of walls. Adjusting further to them or doing an 180 into them would not get you any closer. Now, every adjustment/180 will get you 10% ( configurable ) closer to any wall. That means that if you don't run out of rubber, you can get as close to any wall as you want again.
- topology police has been fixed ( the unjustified death reported by Jonathan ); it is now more permissive. However, it is still disabled because it will disallow full 180s and may occasionally eliminate really tight wall grinders.

There was a temporary bug in eGameObject.cpp 1.8 causing occasional floating point overflows ( assertions in debug mode, who-knows-what when optimized ). It is fixed in 1.9.
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

er uh,.. folks, i think its already fixed... colored names wont bump text around anymore..

not to sound like a broken record,.. but is there a change-log somewhere? like a current one ? one that ppl from this forum can just look at but not, like... add comments to, if they arent a developer

then 99 ppl wouldnt ask for & complain about the same thing thats already been done.. i feel stupid asking this & stupid in general.. & sorry i speak so much on the /development/ part of this forum.. since i dont know squat about programming.. blah blah
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

As far as I remember from another thread, the changelog would be semi-auto-generated from the CVS log entries on every release ( someone found a tool for it ), so there is no changelog that presents the current events in CVS. There is the bug and feature request database on SF.
In some instances ( I admit I've only seen debug-mode messages only so far ) the player color still extends to the message itself. And independent whether the current system works, some people may want to disable colored names anyway, so Lucifer has made at least one valid feature request that was not yet in the database.
Besides, you know, nobody reads changelogs. I only read the SDL changelog to see if I can blame a bug in AA on them :). And even less people look at the databases.
And it is perfectly OK to prowl the development area even if you can't code. If we don't want input on a topic or want to keep something secret for now, we use the "Developers Only" section. I don't know how things were intended, but I see this part of the forum as the place to communicate smaller recent developments to the player base and probe for feedback. The big news gets into the "News" forum, of course.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

hmmm... the color codes... turning off... i'll look at it all again soon
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

SuPeRTaRD wrote:but is there a change-log somewhere?
Here is attached one changelog that will let you know what will be fixed/new in the next version.

As u will see z-man is very busy lately :D
Attachments
ChangeLog.zip
changelog from 0.2.7.0 to now
(11.04 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

klax wrote:As u will see z-man is very busy lately :D
That's only since I commit every little thing because I'm working in parallel on 4 different computers and CVS is the most convenient way to copy stuff around. And for almost every commit, I have to push another one fixing the stuff the first one broke :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Wall tunneling: it is currently possible to tunnel through other player's walls at the last turn they made.

To reproduce, drive along someone else's trail when they are driving straight for a long time. When the other player turns towards you, you turn in the opposite direction towards his trail at the last possible moment. If you hit the last trail segment within its last 2% or so, you have a chance of tunneling through it.

Well, actually you don't tunnel, you move around it, the new more tolerant object movement code allows such things. The problem is that the wall segment that is currently coming out of the other cycle is not yet registered in the data structures that absolutely make sure you don't tunnel.

I'll think of a fix. In the meantime, enjoy the bug!
Attachments
Tunneling
Tunneling
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

meep :o
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I just wanted to report that... a bot got through my wall at a corner and boxed itself that way. 8)
Attachments
throughwall.png
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

The bots (and people) can now often get out of the arena. GDB does it in particular.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Jonathan wrote:The bots (and people) can now often get out of the arena. GDB does it in particular.
It's probably the same bug, the nasty thing is that the bots KNOW they can exploit it because their sensors are affected, too. I'll update the CVS test servers to the 0.2.7.1 branch for now. Do you know under what circumstances you can leave?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I only know there are too many. Nemo did it repeatedly on his international lag CVS server, maybe he knows more.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I put some sensors in the HUD code. Maybe I can see something on the readings before driving through a wall.

Edit: they're not linear and I haven't looked enough at the source to know what they are. Makes things harder...