Starship models

For developmental things relating to the graphics of the game.
pscreator1
On Lightcycle Grid

Starship models

Post by pscreator1 »

I know armegatron is all about the tron light cycles but how about getting some starships in there? I've really been looking around and hoping someones made and arwing mod by now.

I could make the mesh but the textures would be dificult. I also dont have a program that could get it into the proper format that would allow it to work with the game. Right now I'm using metasequoia and can export to 3Ds.

what program will I need to convert the mesh with?
how would I make textures that work with the mesh and the game?
what formats can the mesh be in in order for it to work?
pscreator1
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by pscreator1 »

ok I'v made the mesh. now how do I get it to the .ase format?
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

talk to supertard or pm him, im sure he could help u out

p.s. starfox fan?
pscreator1
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by pscreator1 »

I'm finding textures really dificult.

can someone texture the arwing for me also? :cry: I honestly have no idea what i'm doing.

can supertard also do textures?

you could say i'm a starfox fan... but I really made that mesh first because i had no previous experience making meshes before. I however am used to making unfolds for paper modeling, so I see them a lot.

its also my first time modding armagetron.
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

nice job on that mesh! especially for 26 polygons.

the texturemap is 3x3 pixels..

i thought about texturing firefox & a cockpit on the front two polygons, but decided to go more minimalist with the texture mapping..

the wingpods are 2 different colors of the bike color U pick

this thing looks dope in the game!

enjoy
Attachments
arwing.zip
unzip & replace files to /moviepack/
(3.2 KiB) Downloaded 797 times
2 screenshots 2 bike colors
2 screenshots 2 bike colors
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

That looks very nice guys
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

hmm.. i'm sorry, it looks 2 much spaceshippish to me...
pscreator1
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by pscreator1 »

its supposed to be spaceship.

I thank you supertard! the conversion is comlete! mod will be ready for download in a few minuts!
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

hehe i know, but i don't think spaceships fit in any tron game: it's a light CYCLE game...

just my opinion
pscreator1
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by pscreator1 »

I'm having trouble adding attachments. can anyone upload for me?
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

will upload this shortly..

the tron movie had lots of vehicles.. 3 types on the grids & more elsewhere... the solar sailer was very space-ship like

spaceships look kinda cool in armagetron cuz of the way they tilt when u turn or grind.. something different anyways, to each his own

blah

posting pic of mod to link to:
Attachments
sfscreen.jpg
Last edited by SuPeRTaRD on Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pscreator1
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by pscreator1 »

mesh, floor, arena walls by pscreator1
textures by supertard
title screen from internet (i forget the site)
sounds from Asteroids 3d
Attachments
Starfox Mod 1.0.zip
(1007.71 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

SuPeRTaRD wrote:the tron movie had lots of vehicles.. 3 types on the grids & more elsewhere... the solar sailer was very space-ship like
Tron Solar Sailer! (or beam riders more like it weren't they?)

What an excellent idea this would be for a bike replacement, they were way cool!

actually this all reminds me about how nice it would be to be able to change the shape of the trails... but as an interim solution since the solar thingys were symmetrical i think a good solution would be to only mesh/texture the upper half, place them flat on the floor, turn on reflectivity (afaik the reflectivity is just inverted copies of the models), turn floor color to completely black for max reflectivity and voilá! (and maybe a custom trail texture that is almost completely transparent except for really close to the grid floor). i don't think any significant amount of fps or cpu/gpu power should be lost on this since the mesh is half the size in the first place.

as for future changing of the trail 3d code it think philippeqc will be able to help out on that at some point (where has he been lately? hope he's doing ok)

damn i need to start working on my (totally unrelated to this topic) theme again, forgot all about it lol, i digress :?
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

on an un-related note, i'm running into health problems again with my leg.. hopefully not bad, but u never know.

dunno how good a mod thread moderator i will be till i get this resolved..

just a heads up, in case someone wants to take over for a little while, elsewise i will catch up with the new skins and stuff as time allows.

"What an excellent idea this would be for a bike replacement, they were way cool!"

they werent THAT cool. ;) btw, are you requesting i make one?
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

n54 wrote:Tron Solar Sailer! (or beam riders more like it weren't they?)

What an excellent idea this would be for a bike replacement, they were way cool!

actually this all reminds me about how nice it would be to be able to change the shape of the trails... but as an interim solution since the solar thingys were symmetrical i think a good solution would be to only mesh/texture the upper half, place them flat on the floor, turn on reflectivity (afaik the reflectivity is just inverted copies of the models), turn floor color to completely black for max reflectivity and voilá! (and maybe a custom trail texture that is almost completely transparent except for really close to the grid floor). i don't think any significant amount of fps or cpu/gpu power should be lost on this since the mesh is half the size in the first place.
what if u flipped the grid upside down and had the solar sailers flying around making beams instead of walls and if u crash into a beam you would die... it would be armagetron only a solar sailer bike, wall textures upside down black top would be nice, sky has grid texture,walls get a beamlike texture and the grid would be black it would be back words compatable with all curent servers because its the same game just with some fancy paint and flipped upside down. i think this would be cool although it would have to have some massive amout of coding done to make it work. but still i think the idea has some pontential. i think it would be pretty cool.

EDIT - after messing with skining the moviepack and texture file i got pretty close to what i was talking about so i turned of hud edited out the bike flipped it upside down added in the hud and pasted in an image of a solar sailer... i think it looks pretty cool.if oly i could play like this ... hehe posting the concept picture for u guys to either drool or laugh at either way only took ten minutes of my time that i woulda just waisted watching tv... btw would it be possible to make the game look like this easily if a solar sailer model was available?

edit sorry to hear about your leg supertard
Attachments
hehe.jpg