Anything About Anything...
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

dialup connection speed

Post by iceman »

well you all know that ive got a shitty 44k connection

today i connected at 46.667k for the 1st time ever ! wow

an extra 266 bytes per second !!!! oh yeah baby yeah that can reduce my download time by a faction of a percent !!!!

bet it dont last though :(

Just wondered if any one else has dialup and what speed you get ?
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

You know, you can trick the modem into connecting at 115kbps? But I forget how. I had to do that when I had dialup, otherwise I got 28.8kbps on one computer, and 36.6kbps on another. Same isp back then too...
iceman

no way dude

Post by iceman »

if your connection says 115k thats the transfer rate from modem serial port NOT the connection speed
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

It was a really time ago on Win98. I had called up my isp about the fact that it was 28.8 while the other comp got 36.6 and I did what they told me to, and instead of seeing 28.8 I saw 115 and that's the truth. (Plus I think it was a PnP modem which does not use a serial port.)
iceman

re: speed

Post by iceman »

even a plug and play modem has an internal serial port (it has to take the serial data from the line and convert it to parallel for your pc and vice versa)

and there is a way to make the dialup networking or whatever etc show the serial transfer speed instead of the connection speed (its a simple tweak)

on the other hand most win95 users had this very problem (it showed serial speed not connection speed by default) and needed a tweak to reverse this problem

so i think your isp did a dirty on you and just fudged your display :(
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

ok guys i'm sorry to be a bad sport but you're both fooling yourself, or perhaps your computer is :D

i'd just like to point out that the transmission speeds given for modems (9.6/14.4/28.8/36 or 56 Kbps) all are theoretical maximums and not practical maximums (which are always lower as the world is not based on "perfect physical models" it's the other way around and some pieces of the puzzle are always missing) :!:

if you see values higher than the theoretical limit you are seeing effects from buffering or possibly degradation of hertz fluctuations in old hardware (which makes seconds longer than they really are and that of course affects the bps (bits per second) making it seem like more gets downloaded per second)

sorry guys, it almost breaks my heart to do this, but i'm sure you will not believe me and thus keep the dream alive :mrgreen:
locutus
Match Winner
Location: MST [Quotation: "No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished.."]

Post by locutus »

also, most phone companies cap off the speed (Usually 28-44k) you connect on a regular land line, you may have it all tweaked out but the phone company chops your feet out from under you, at least in the states. Connectiing higher than that cap is a miracle Ice.

:lol:
Majination
Hero Of 2004

Post by Majination »

I think what Tank might be referring to is a change in the modem initialization string so that the modems CARRIER speed is reported instead of the correct CONNECT speed.

I ran a bbs for a few years before the internet came and ruined the scene, heh. At the time I was pretty knowledgeable about such things. It's been ten years, though, so I don't remember the specifics. It is possible to do, but no it doesn't speed up your connection at all.

If you are really interested, do a search on Hayes compatible modem initialization codes.
http://bikecolors.shorturl.com -- ArmageTron Multi-Color Bike Picker
"Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me!" - Ren Hoek
iceman

i know

Post by iceman »

n54 wrote:ok guys i'm sorry to be a bad sport but you're both fooling yourself, or perhaps your computer is :D

i'd just like to point out that the transmission speeds given for modems (9.6/14.4/28.8/36 or 56 Kbps) all are theoretical maximums and not practical maximums (which are always lower as the world is not based on "perfect physical models" it's the other way around and some pieces of the puzzle are always missing) :!:

if you see values higher than the theoretical limit you are seeing effects from buffering or possibly degradation of hertz fluctuations in old hardware (which makes seconds longer than they really are and that of course affects the bps (bits per second) making it seem like more gets downloaded per second)

sorry guys, it almost breaks my heart to do this, but i'm sure you will not believe me and thus keep the dream alive :mrgreen:
i know that (btw the max you can ever get is 53k on 56k modem)

but what i said is correct if it shows 115k then thats the serial clock devisor telling the port to transfer 1 byte of data at this speed there might be 5 hours between bytes but it still transfers at 115k

but this 115k is not the line connection speed like i said in my reply

also i know that the line connection speed is the avg transfer rate govened by the compression used on flex etc and does not reflect the actual speed

but im still happy to get an extra 266 bytes per second ! lol
n54
MVP

Re: i know

Post by n54 »

iceman wrote:also i know that the line connection speed is the avg transfer rate govened by the compression used on flex etc and does not reflect the actual speed
ok afaik it is not average but maximum, i might be wrong it wouldn't be the first time, then again i could be right but i don't make modems and i'm not an engineer :mrgreen:
iceman

hehe

Post by iceman »

i am an engineer and hey all i wanted to know was what dialup speed peeps get

why does everything always get technical :(

:mrgreen: :!: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :!: :!: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :!:
:!: :!: :mrgreen: :!: :!: :mrgreen: :!: :mrgreen: :!: :!: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :!: :mrgreen: :!: :!: :!: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :!: :mrgreen: :!: :!: :mrgreen: :!: :mrgreen: :!: :!: :!:
:mrgreen: :!: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :!: :!: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :!:
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

maybe it all gets technical because you are an engineer? :mrgreen:

sorry but i didn't mean to drive it all off to a discussion on modem technology, maybe it happened because i don't have a modem? dunno
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

verizon DSL at the moment, but in four months when i move? ...not sure, back to dialup perhaps. :(
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I just told you my experiences. I am perfectly aware that you cannot go faster thet 56kbps on a 56k modem, and I also have known that in the US, the government requires all ISPs to cap the top speed out at 53kbps. Also, your speed depends a lot on the quality of your phone wires, so if you live in a less developed area (teephone wise), you will have slower speeds.
iceman

speed

Post by iceman »

i wonder if my isp would let me install a line-of-site laser link ???