The truth about TR2N Origins

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
noob_saibot
Round Winner

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by noob_saibot »

Concord wrote:
Destiny wrote:In fact, being a teacher, I can see the value of having such a gaming league to give the students something to do besides run the streets and getting into gangs.
What? Excuse me?
LOLmaximum!
WINNER OF: Ladle 47 .... preSsure's mom & Durka's mom

"If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom." -Perry Farrell
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

Destiny wrote:In fact, being a teacher, I can see the value of having such a gaming league to give the students something to do besides run the streets and getting into gangs.
Uhm really? You think kids who would be joining gangs would be playing tron.
PsYkO
Core Dumper

Post by PsYkO »

Tron helped me quit smoking.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

LucK wrote:
Uhm really? You think kids who would be joining gangs would be playing tron.
This is actually exactly how clans got started.
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Destiny&Manta wrote:The development in Arma tends to progress slowly, and part of that is due to the nature of the politics I referred to.
Actually nothing blocks you from developing your own code that could go into armagetron as it is. As you've chosen ct's fork for your base. As you are now aware that this is not maintained or developed by the magnetron developers, instead it is maintained my voodoo, eddie and myself. We also have allowed z-man and wrtl access to it.

Destiny&Manta wrote:Please keep in mind, the changes that we made to both our community website/forum and the game are changes that we pitched to the Arma community in the spring of 2009. We were met with strict criticism and decided that we needed a less restrictive environment in which to develop.
You never really fully pitched them to us, you got upset when we kept asking you questions.

I'm not worried about what you have done nor upset that you did this. It allows you to do what you want with it. I'm am a little upset that you guys really never tried to contact the developers first, what you did i believe they would be open to doing. in fact most only a few of your modifications intentionally broke armagetron compatibility. Also it appears that you like to use initiative hacks but you don't plan on allowing for innovation. If you truly don't want any changes made to a server code I know that several CT servers are unsupported with your code. Even though it remains open source code, you closed your community. Also thanks for helping armagetron advanced, I think the developers are back a bit now :)
FroZen
Average Program

Post by FroZen »

Destiny&Manta wrote: I do know we somehow left off the movie pack in the mac d/l. Path is aware of this issue and he is making a new client that is repaired.
Just to further emphasize this point: if you originally downloaded Tr2n Origins on a Mac, you should probably go download the updated version (http://senduit.com/17ad11). The normal movie pack makes a far greater visual impression than the previous one.
Nelhybel
Round Winner

Post by Nelhybel »

Not trying to troll, complain, or anything like that, just stating a thought.
The tron community is a game community attempting to attract more players to the game. If there are no tron players, or far too few, then tron can't exist (duh).
Now obviously the AA community is still healthy, and the tr2n community, though small, benefits from youth, and is also healthy.
But the sad truth is that one game will eventually flush the other out. It's just going to happen, sadly, but there is no way the two can maintain communities of healthy size when the games are so similar. Players who will for now play both games will over time choose one or the other.
In the case that neither clan outgrows the other, it seems likely that both will fail. Of course both could exist and thrive, but I just don't see that happening...
I personally don't think splitting away from the game was a polite idea :/
Feel free to contact me here or on the grid if you would like assistance or support in beginning a relationship with Jesus Christ.
---
uNa| United Noobs of Armagetron Forums
-=}ID< Immortal Dynasty Forums
_~`Ww_ Wild West Forums
Concord

Post by Concord »

Nelhybel wrote:Not trying to troll, complain, or anything like that, just stating a thought.
The tron community is a game community attempting to attract more players to the game. If there are no tron players, or far too few, then tron can't exist (duh).
Now obviously the AA community is still healthy, and the tr2n community, though small, benefits from youth, and is also healthy.
But the sad truth is that one game will eventually flush the other out. It's just going to happen, sadly, but there is no way the two can maintain communities of healthy size when the games are so similar. Players who will for now play both games will over time choose one or the other.
In the case that neither clan outgrows the other, it seems likely that both will fail. Of course both could exist and thrive, but I just don't see that happening...
I personally don't think splitting away from the game was a polite idea :/

Whichever has better players will be more popular. That's why more people watch the Premiership than the MLS, why more people support the Boston Celtics than the New Jersey Nets, and why more people play Fortress and Sumo than last man standing.
Nelhybel
Round Winner

Post by Nelhybel »

Good point. Thank you Concord.
I still don't see, a year from now, both games going strong :/ hopefully one or the other...

Also I believe they cited in their first post that this project is not associated with WW, but then they said that this was the result of a growing subcommunity in WW that decided to break away...?
Feel free to contact me here or on the grid if you would like assistance or support in beginning a relationship with Jesus Christ.
---
uNa| United Noobs of Armagetron Forums
-=}ID< Immortal Dynasty Forums
_~`Ww_ Wild West Forums
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

heh from my point of view tr2n will be more popular for ctf/df/hr players. Where AA will be more popular for Sumo/Fortress/Classic players. I can easily see myself playing both and that is mainly because I love how tr2n is more based upon competitions and I love competitions. But I still like AA more because of the people and the "freedom".

I had fun in the ctf tourney today even tho it was only me and eckz playing on our team lol
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

I'm just wondering, its great that you gave everyone a second chance in this Destiny&Manta, thats part of the reason why I made the Youtube video for some advertisement and feedback. However, I had to register on the forums under a fake/proxied name because under my own IP I get this message:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

I guess you thought because I made a video for your game that it was for you, Destiny *see sig*, but erm.. don't flatter yourself. :P
Last edited by Kijutsu on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Core Dumper

Post by newbie »

tr2n seems to be mainly focused around the american players
1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 21, 24, 33, 34, 35

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

nor were the game modes we want to develop valued at the Armagetron Community level (i/e rubber and game modes with zones)
Wait...say what? Unless myself and a minority of players somehow qualify as the entire Arma community, then this is absolutely, Orwellianly untrue. All the high rubber and zone-based crap is immensely popular, among players and developers alike, much to my chagrin. So, I don't know where you got the idea that no one's interested in that stuff.

I'm not going to dissect the rest. Maybe I'll register at your forums at some time in the future.
from my point of view tr2n will be more popular for ctf/df/hr players. Where AA will be more popular for Sumo/Fortress/Classic players
Those are rather arbitrary groupings.

Hey, I've got a great idea! Let's let the TR2N Origins take over all the fortress, sumo, ctf, shooting, styball, >4 axes, maps, and other stupid game modes and stuff. Arma can return to its roots and actually refine and improve sans these silly distractions. Yeah, I know, not gonna happen. :x

Yes, clans are basically half-assed gangs for internet gaming twerps. At their most modest, they're at least useless, codified cliques.

How the hell is playing a video game (with or without clans, but especially with) a constructive and beneficial alternative to "running the streets?" At least in the latter instance they're outdoors getting exercise, heh.

Is Frozen's link legit and safe, and if so, why isn't that build just on the main TR2N site?
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

Phytotron if we did that you would be the only one playing :)

Stick to your local game and get rid of the middle man.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

LucK wrote:Phytotron if we did that you would be the only one playing :)
QFT :) I personally do like Sumo and Fortress and CFT. Not so much high rubber and, urgh, DF, but I care enough about them to, well, take care for them.