Freedomware Gaming Tournament, featuring Armagetron?

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

I signed up.

My gamemode of choice would be either sumo, because that's my favourist ffa mode, or classic play,
since.. it's the classic mode
shrunkland settings would be great (or goshdarn of course ;)).

Anyone else gonna sign up? It would be good publicity if we can make a decent tournament out of this. I wish there was some way for people to get a notice of events like this ingame, since most people don't read the forums/wiki all that much.

If it's gonna be sumo-oriented maybe Durka can advertise it a bit in his AFL newsletter?
libervisco
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by libervisco »

Thanks for signing up Lackadaisical. I should go in-game to invite some more people. Any recommendations for a server where such things would be allowed (let's not call it spamming since it's relevant and helpful to AA ;) ). :)

Cheers
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

I signed up as well. Keep me posted, I'm interested.
libervisco
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by libervisco »

Thank you for signing up DDMJ.

Well seeing as new Armagetron players are coming, in hope of encouraging more joins I started a topic for discussing the actual organization of the Armagetron Advanced tournament as part of the gamefest. Here it is: http://www.nuxified.org/topic/organizin ... tournament

Anyone who signed up already has an account on Nuxified.org so shouldn't be a problem posting there, but I'll be looking at this thread for input too. :)

Cheers
FoFo
Core Dumper

Post by FoFo »

i signed up , i ll speak other x'ers about it.
Concord

Post by Concord »

+me

looks good
libervisco
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by libervisco »

Thanks guys.

It's been suggested a couple of times to merge the AFL tournament under this game fest. I'd need more information about what exactly AFL is, the way its organized and related details.

It could possibly be a good thing. We basically just promote it as part of the game fest potentially giving it more attention and also the winner of AFL would in that case be eligible for the universal game fest prize. :)

Cheers
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

AFL isn't a tournament. It's a league. Teams sign up and play weekly, then there's playoffs and a champion. (technically it's a tournament, but it's not a tournament in the sense of 1-3 days and there's a winner)

Signup happens during a limited time, then the season plays over the course of several months, then there's new signups and a new season.

I wouldn't recommend merging it, but promoting it would be good. It would show your players that the community here is lively and playful and has lots of stuff to offer (and our own players that play in your tournament). I'd recommend instead doing either a regular freestyle tournament that can be resolved in a few hours or a sumo tournament (there's not a lot of difference between the two, imo) that can also be resolved in a few hours.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
tonybbb
Average Program

Post by tonybbb »

where can I download Open arena??I can't find it i searched on google and couldn't find it someone give me a link please.
Signature:
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Umm, this is the first link on google when you search for both OpenArena and Open Arena, what did you search for?
Concord

Post by Concord »

roflmao
libervisco
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by libervisco »

Lucifer wrote: I wouldn't recommend merging it, but promoting it would be good. It would show your players that the community here is lively and playful and has lots of stuff to offer (and our own players that play in your tournament).
Sounds good. :)
Lucifer wrote: I'd recommend instead doing either a regular freestyle tournament that can be resolved in a few hours or a sumo tournament (there's not a lot of difference between the two, imo) that can also be resolved in a few hours.
Only few hours for a whole tournament? That's rather short I'd say.. maybe it'd be better to split this up a bit.

The standard way of the game fest is to first have qualifications when everyone plays with everyone else (twice even if applicable) until we come up with a chart of which the third gets disqualified and the rest proceed to a single elimination tournament.

But that's from standard universal guidelines for the gamefest. For specific games it can always be further adapted.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

you mean like a 1 v 1 ladder ?
libervisco
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by libervisco »

1vs1 seems like the simplest way to have a tournament that's longer than a few hours (at least if we don't do all matches at once :P ).

So basically everyone plays 1vs1 against each other twice as part of qualifications and then qualified among them (2 thirds basically) proceed into the final tournament per single or double elimination tournament.

For example if we have 10 players we can split them into two qualification groups of 5 players. Every player plays the rest of the four twice, so we end up having 20 matches for each group: total of 40 matches.

The results of these matches (winning, losing or a forfeit) is rated according to this points system: http://www.libervis.com/wiki/index.php? ... nts_system

So finally we have a two top 5 lists of which bottom two are disqualified and top three proceed into the 6-player tournament.

Of course, we can adjust this number if we have 12 players. In that case groups could be of 6 and then we just have to decide whether to disqualify 3 or 2 of them. :) If it's only 2 then the tournament would be 8-player one.

Cheers
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Hmmm, the only real criticism I have for that is that armagetron isn't really a two-player duelling game. :) You can play it that way, but I think a lot of the fun in the game is being on a grid with 5-10 other people and duking it out.

Maybe that's why we generally expect tournaments not to last very long. :)

I don't have an alternate solution right off the top of my head, other than splitting into groups to a maximum of 8 and putting everyone in a grid together. The end of match rankings can be used to seed them, and play multiple matches and just add the ranks together. So if you play 3 matches, the top-ranked player will have 3 points (1st place * 3).

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden