Armagetron Wii

Something else for Armagetron? Goody!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You should be able to rent Zelda for a day if you just want the homebrew channel. You only need it once, as soon as the channel is installed, it has all the functionality of the original hack.

I haven't said yet what I'm using :) It's these things.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ok, so now I have the Twilight Hack, the Homebrew channel and I ran self compiled OpenGL code on my Wii. Currently, I'm battling with SDL, I haven't got a build of it consistent with the rest of the development stuff yet.

Hrmpf. SDL is pretty useless in its current from. It doesn't interact with the OpenGL port and it doesn't support the Wiimote. I hope at least SDL_Image works.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Ah, that was the wrong version of SDL, it was only for the gamecube. A different version indeed has Wiimote support, it will pretend it's a mouse/joystick combination. Neat! Successfully build a binary with that. Of course, it immediately exits with an error message. But it's one of our error messages, yay!
ivantis
Round Winner

Post by ivantis »

oh yeah, i looked at wiibrew a while ago
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Texture loading now works, provided the source image already has an alpha channel. The main menu shows and is usable (I'm mapping the dpad of the wiimote to the cursor keys).

New problems:
The Unix timer functions don't work.
The map parser corrupts the stack. I'm using the good old hardcoded map for now.
Several things just hang the console without a crash hexdump. One of them is playing :(

Well, looks like I'll have to look at the debugging possibilities.
ivantis
Round Winner

Post by ivantis »

Unix timer functions dont work? well, that ought to be an issue. what i always do in actionscript or something when i feel lazy, make an if statement that checks "if" something that will always be true is true, and then make a variable add, like

Code: Select all

if (ss_nothing == 1) {
  ss_added += 1;
}
i know that on different hardware, this doesnt work so well, but you could measure it on the wii and see about how fast it is
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, the remote debugger sucks, it introduces bugs as you step through the code. Took me a while to figure that out :/ After that, the real problem was soon identified. So no more crashes,a local game recording runs through, but instead of game graphics, you get the console output whirling around :) So back to tangible problems, yay!