0.2.8.0 final: Release process and bugs

Help test release candidates for the next release
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

z-man wrote:
Luke-Jr wrote:Summary: We screwed up on handling directories. Let's fix this for 0.2.8.1.
No :) I found out who is guilty, and you'll like it :) Microsoft.
That's one of the many directory problems we have. I found in the end that not only SCRIPTDIR was being mangled, but also a few other directories. In addition to that, the directory variable expansion is stupid-- it should default to env variables, not enforce the user's set HOME default. Not to mention the lack of additional directory configuration options (docdir, logdir, etc)...
z-man wrote:The workaround will be to reinstall the strange backward searching in mkdir_recurse, that's silly, but it seemed to work.
If you plan to do this, be careful! The problem was that it would only search back as far as the first non-existing path element and would fail to check that for a '.' prefix. Perhaps an actual check if the directory exists is best (instead of trapping EEXIST)
z-man wrote:For the other error, try replacing "file:///etc/xml/catalog" in gParser.cpp with "file:///var/db/xmlcatalog".
It should be a warning anyway... I wonder if we can detect the path libxml2 uses?
z-man wrote:I'm currently installing freeBSD (didn't grok the OpenBSD partitioning), I hope I can see all those errors myself.
Perhaps we should setup something to automatically test builds on the SF compile farm?
z-man wrote:All four fixed Windows builds are now on my harddisk, plus a source "patch". The internal version is still 0.2.8.0, only the installer version reflects the change. I'm not really sure whether the "This is a workaround of an OS bug, hence no new version" is the right way to go, so I'm waiting for at least one team member to say "yes, that's absolutely right, up to aabeta and sourceforge with it!" and every team member has veto rights for the next hours.
For future reference, I suggest sticking the "-1" in the internal version.
z-man wrote:Second, write a small wrapper script, something simple like

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
while ./armagetronad-dedicated; do true; done
or the other way round if you want to continue after crashes or fatal exits.
I notice our init scripts do something like this... except if there's an error, they just keep restarting the server infinitely. :\
microbus
Core Dumper

Post by microbus »

On that error about the var directory, when I tried installing both windows
versions of Arma on my D drive, I got that error, even after uninstalling
then installing. So I uninstalled again, let Arma install into the default
directory ( c:\program files\Armagetron or whatever it was ), and
everything works fine. Maybe that will help with trying to figure it out?
When you uninstall though, make sure the armagetron folder from
documents and settings is gone too.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Gaaa!

Post by Z-Man »

Luke-Jr wrote:
z-man wrote:The workaround will be to reinstall the strange backward searching in mkdir_recurse, that's silly, but it seemed to work.
If you plan to do this, be careful! The problem was that it would only search back as far as the first non-existing path element and would fail to check that for a '.' prefix. Perhaps an actual check if the directory exists is best (instead of trapping EEXIST)
Aww, dammit. Build withdrawn from aabeta :( Those who fetched it need to get whatever comes next as soon as possible.

Could we keep the bsd and other random chitchat to other threads?
belenus
Round Winner

Re: Gaaa!

Post by belenus »

z-man wrote:Could we keep the bsd and other random chitchat to other threads?
Done, as long as noone forgets it there... :D

http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?p=44728
- bel
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I just realised that in the master server list, I'm getting this report back from nearly all servers:
Master Server wrote:Players: Server polled over master server, no reliable user data available.
And on the right, under "Users" it lists zero, even though there are players in the server. So basically, I can't search the master server list for users. Tonight, In Limbo, Shrunkland, and iceman's were the only ones that reported back users. And, well, this may have only begun happening in the last day or two. That is, I may have already had 0.2.8.0 final a couple days before this started happening. But I can't say for certain. Sorry; I've been rather out of it lately.
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

Not sure if its just this release, but I I think I found a bug that is reproduceable...

I should have been OUTSIDE of the wall, but somehow I landed inside. already happened to me on various occasions.

Recording is attached.

Edit:
Another thing for future releases, it would be really nice if during checks in configure, it would NOT create the init.d directory when doing make install when the OS is *BSD, because they don't exist and *BSD uses another mechanism for automatic system starts. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- bel
Self_Destructo
Round Winner

Post by Self_Destructo »

Is this a bug? It didn't put this third line in until after I put this into evertime.cfg.

Code: Select all

console_message -----------------------------------------------------------------------
console_message Server stats can now be found at stats.xzlclan.com.
console_message Visit our website at xzlclan.com.
console_message -----------------------------------------------------------------------
SAY No cussing or bots allowed! ---Violators will be Banned---
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Silly: Looks like either all your score biases have been turned down or somebody set BROWSER_QUERY_FILTER to 2 (in settings.cfg), then that's the specified behavior :) Could you send over your frommaster.srv?
To fix, turn down BROWSER_QUERY_FILTER, delete frommaster.srv or give all servers you're interested in a positive score bias. Depending on the cause, one of them should work.

The other two just popped up after I hit submit, having a look at them now.
Self_Destructo
Round Winner

Post by Self_Destructo »

lol, ok, I was like... huh?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Belenus: try --disable-initscripts :)
The recording shows a perfect, rubber assisted 180. You turn around on the spot on those, and it's not really possible for the current code to tell on which side of the wall you should be. There is some special case code in place to handle this situation, but it doesn't work reliably as it appears. It's definitely not a fix for 0.2.8.1 as it is just too quirky.

SD: Yes, it's a bug. Interesting, it really happens every round. I'll see what I can find out.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

z-man wrote:Belenus: try --disable-initscripts :)
I think he was suggesting the configure script determine the correct default.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Luke: Ok, then, suggestions how to do this welcome. Detection can be done by the machine type (we already do some stuff based on it, like selecting the right way to link with X11), that's no problem. But for the implementation of the init mechanism, I'd need help.

SD: Say, what's the value of ROUND_CONSOLE_MESSAGE? I ask because it would be printed in exactly the spot the extra line appears :)
Self_Destructo
Round Winner

Post by Self_Destructo »

That was it. It was set that way from when I put ROUND_CONSOLE_MESSAGE in the everytime.cfg and I just didn't think about it. :) So, yeah, it was a bug - in my head. :D
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

z-man wrote:Silly: Looks like either all your score biases have been turned down or somebody set BROWSER_QUERY_FILTER to 2 (in settings.cfg), then that's the specified behavior :) Could you send over your frommaster.srv?
To fix, turn down BROWSER_QUERY_FILTER, delete frommaster.srv or give all servers you're interested in a positive score bias. Depending on the cause, one of them should work.
Well, BROWSER_QUERY_FILTER is and was set to 1. I removed frommaster.srv and didn't get that message from any servers, so that fixed it (at least right now). I've attached the removed frommaster.srv, anyway, since you requested it. I put a ".gif" extension on it so it would upload, heh. Just delete that part, needless to say.

And since you mention score bias: Is it correct that those should change automatically every time I go to the master server list? I mean, I can set one as positive or negative, high or low, but it'll be completely different next time I look, and I think regardless of what I've done (e.g., what servers I've gone in and out of). Why set a score bias if it always changes around anyway? Why have BROWSER_QUERY_FILTER set to 1 when some server one likes can be given a negative score bias without the user's intention to do so? Am I missing something? Oh, and that's always happened, to my recollection, even before this version. Erm, sorry if this should've been put elsewhere, then.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yes, there were some negative score biases in there.

The score bias should never change automatically, only if you press +/-. It's only a bias to the calculated score (hardcoded from ping and player count int some half-braindead way). With BROWSER_QUERY_FILTER 1, if you press -, you're telling the system "I don't care about this server at all". If you want it just further down in the list, set BROWSER_QUERY_FILTER to 0. Entering a server does not do anything to the bias. If you never pressed -, then it's a bug.

No worries about reporting bugs late. You're just not getting a fix until you report, I don't mind too much :)