0.2.8_beta4: release process and bugs

Help test release candidates for the next release
Revan
Core Dumper

Post by Revan »

z-man wrote:Please be more specific.
There was some type of alpha version that I saw...It works the best for me but windows is being a jack ass and saying it's corrupted... :(

Maybe I could go in my downloads folder *shudders* and hunt for it for endless hours... :| :wink:
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

There is some weird stuff going in my log files. I have my single player settings for one bot. I was playing against the bot and left, but the logs show two bots leaving.

Code: Select all

[0] Consumer_bot core dumped nemostultae for 1 points.
[0] Winner: Consumer_bot
[1] received logout from 1.
[1] nemostultae left the game.
... closing socket, etc.
[0] Consumer_bot left the game.
[0] ArmagetronAdvanced_bot left the game. # <-- This bot wasn't in the game
On a similar line -- the one bot is always Consumer_bot. Always. It is never another one.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Revan: AABeta has a nice button that says "hide old" you can uncheck to see old versions. Anything that's not up there does not exist:
http://beta.armagetronad.net/?product=c ... =#download
You should however check out beta4.2. If you can give specific information about what exactly works better in your alpha than on beta4.2, thay would be useful.

Nemostultae: Yes, the messages have gotten a bit strange lately. I fixed one automatic balancing bug that caused quite a long line of messages on the client, maybe that was also your problem. I'll look over all of them again this evening.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Nemo: done. The bot creation message was suppressed because the program was no longer in server mode; I activated it. The additional AI was created in the first place because the server thought there were not enough active teams; I fixed that, so the AI should no longer appear.

I also fixed the new strangeness that AIs would enter named "AI", then rename to their correct name.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

How do you get back the original smart cam in b4.2 . Nemo was telling me how to get it back to the original settings, however i cant remember what he said.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Put

# Old settings
CAMERA_CUSTOM_BACK    15  # how much the camera is moved back
CAMERA_CUSTOM_RISE    10  # the height of the camera above the cycle
CAMERA_CUSTOM_BACK_FROMSPEED 0  # how much the camera is moved back for every m/s speed
CAMERA_CUSTOM_RISE_FROMSPEED 0  # the height of the camera above the cycle for every m/s speed
CAMERA_CUSTOM_PITCH   -.7 # inclination of the camera
CAMERA_CUSTOM_ZOOM    .5  # how much the camera zooms in your cycle at the beginning of the round (to show the team's formation)
CAMERA_CUSTOM_TURN_SPEED     40  # speed the custom camera turns with
CAMERA_CUSTOM_TURN_SPEED_180 2   # factor to the turn speed after a quick reversal
in config/autoexec.cfg. The old settings are listed in settings.cfg (commented out)
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

Thanks
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

Is there anyway to get back the smart cam from beta 3? ive been using the cam settings from the old smart cam(from nemo's instructions) and it just doesnt seem right. its very distracting and i've been swapping thru incam external custom and smart trying to get different views that the cam in beta 3 gave... or mabey im having a really tough time adjusting to the change, im not sure. can i request the cam from the betas with the high up glance and low pointed foward far back normal view be put in the next release as smart cam2 or something?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I'm not exactly sure what change confuses you. I'll try to list the changes that I am aware of, maybe you can put your finger on one. I also try to explain why I think the changes were good.

- The custom camera has been extended with speed dependant distance settings so it can move away from the cycle when you go faster. Nemo already told you how to revert to the old settings. The camera position of the smart camera glance is determined by the custom camera settings as well, so this is relevant.

- The way the camera blends from the smart camera settings to the custom camera settings when you glance has been reworked. Before, if you had a really high framerate, the camera would twitch just before it reached the final glancing position. That was because the code was not truly framerate independent. Now it is. This influences everything between the moment you hit the left or right glance key and the moment the final glancing position is reached.

- What happens when the smart camera finds itself in front of your cycle has changed. The algorithm before often got stuck in front, squiggling left and right a bit, while the cycle then passed below the camera. The new code picks one side to evade to and sticks to it.

- When you glance left and turn left, the glancing stops (same for right). Before, the camera would snap back as if you had released the glance key before you turned, now it stays where it is and moves according to the smart camera rules from there.

- The point the smart camera focuses on has been changed; it was overshooting after turns.

All except the last change affect you in well defined situations, I hope you can just pick the one that disturbs you, then we revert that part of the code. Customizing the smart camera is not a real option, I'm afraid, as it is a weird bunch of code trying to be smart.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

In your first bullet point you're referring to the custom cam. Is there any way with the smart cam to prevent it from moving back from the cycle when your speed increases?

Edit: I think I've asked this before and got a nope, but I'm wondering if anything has been put in recently.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

No, you can't disable that, and it has always done this AFAIR. The possibility still exists to turn all the magic values of the smart camera into undocumented settings, though.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

One minor problem:

armagetronad/src/doc/HtmlMakefile

{ echo "define(CHANGEDATE,`date +"%b %d %Y" -r ../../../../armagetronad/src/doc/net/index.html.m4`) include(../../../src/doc/html.m4)" ; cat ../../../../armagetronad/src/doc/net/index.html.m4 ; } | m4 -I ../../../../armagetronad/src/doc/net > index.html
date: illegal time format
usage: date [-nu] [-r seconds] [+format]
       date [[[[[cc]yy]mm]dd]hh]mm[.ss]
My `date' doesn't have an option to find when a file was last modified.

-r on my `date' is

-r      Print out the date and time that is seconds from the Epoch.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

We'll have to let configure check for that and just use the current date if -r is not supported the way we want it. I'll add a bug entry.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

z-man wrote:I don't know who is the receiving end and I can't find the string 0.2.8.0_beta4.2 anywhere, not in the source, not on aabeta, not on SF, not in posts. Soo, yes, a bit of more specific information from Luke would be useful if he wants certain people to change :)
I wasn't going to point out names, but if you insist... the most obvious example is in Tank's postings on http://armagetronad.net

Also, just a side note: I always considered the cursor-position-at-0-during-colourentry to be correct behavior. :p
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

z-man wrote:Revan: AABeta has a nice button that says "hide old" you can uncheck to see old versions. Anything that's not up there does not exist:
Not always true... current policy for known broken releases is to comment them in releases.php, thus hiding them completely. IIRC, that is the case with at least one build having symptoms he described.