Broken connector

Anything About Anything...
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Broken connector

Post by aP|Nelg »

I know this isn't a DIY forum, but...
so I have a DVI to HDMI connector that I was using with a computer for a TV, but it broke when I was trying to work on the computer (I probably should have unplugged the HDMI cable to prevent this) and I'm not really sure how to fix it... Any suggestions?
Both pieces
Both pieces
Both pieces - top view (right piece is a bit out of focus)
Both pieces - top view (right piece is a bit out of focus)
HDMI piece
HDMI piece
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Broken connector

Post by Word »

I'm not sure whether this even would have worked. I tried to buy one of these two years ago because I wanted to connect an old computer screen to a television receiver and the guy at the electronics shop told me SVGA/HDMI cables are the only option - normal, "short" VGA wouldn't function properly without some kind of converter (see here for an internet discussion about that). So I ended up with one of these and that worked.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

aP|Nelg wrote:Any suggestions?
It would be cheaper to replace than to repair. Seriously. I'm pretty hardcore about fixing electronics and I even build my own cables occasionally, but a repair on that adapter is pure folly, especially considering you can buy a new one on Ebay for under $4 with free shipping. It will likely come from China and arrive in less than two weeks assuming you live somewhere in the modern world. Buy two and so you can break it again!
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Your pins appear to be bent to hell and back. I would buy a new one before I took the time to do that. As sine said, it's only a couple bucks on Ebay.

99 cents (free shipping)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVI-Male-to-HDM ... SwT6pVknfe

$2.39 for the luxury of faster shipping from the US (free shipping)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVI-D-Male-Dual ... Swv9hW39qH
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

double post ..........
Last edited by ConVicT on Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I would go ahead and egree with everyone here but I'm guessing buying a new one was the first thing you thought of...
You want to fix it, right?

There's a chance if you take it out of the plastic; you won't get anywhere like that because once you put in the connector, you can't see, or do anything.
But, looking at your pictures, I can't really tell if there's pins missing either (but I have bad eyesight and Light thinks they're only bent), if they're there, it's fixable.

This reminds me of these Image
I went through at least 5 of these a year, they are the worst invention ever!
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

ConVicT wrote:But, looking at your pictures, I can't really tell if there's pins missing either (but I have bad eyesight and Light thinks they're only bent), if they're there, it's fixable.
I can't really tell if any are broken off. It looks like there could be some missing on the top row, but not sure. Even so, bending them back in to place is bound to break some unless it's not as bad as the picture appears to me. I mean, if you're that desperate to save a dollar, go for it.