Ladle 77 Voting Thread | CLOSED

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Overrated
Match Winner

Re: Ladle 77 Voting Thread | CLOSED

Post by Overrated »

For me, 1 seed is almost a punishment. Unless we get 16+ teams, we'll always have that winning team get a bye. I always consider ladle more enjoyable with more games played. As a possible ladle winner, I don't want to come back next month knowing I won't be playing more matches and to possibly prove more by playing more competition.

Only thing ladle winner gains is knowing that they probably will get a later start time.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Overrated wrote:Unless we get 16+ teams, we'll always have that winning team get a bye.
The Ladle winner has received a bye 15 out of the last 17 Ladles, so having 1 seed does not really change anything for now.

After Ladle I will write up the new bracket procedure for L-78 and beyond.
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

sinewav wrote:
Overrated wrote:Unless we get 16+ teams, we'll always have that winning team get a bye.
The Ladle winner has received a bye 15 out of the last 17 Ladles, so having 1 seed does not really change anything for now.
That was my point! It seems to be a punishment to win the ladle in terms of matches played in the scenario of any seeds (I was pointing out my reasoning for 0 seeds). I would rather let randomness decide whether I play in the opening round instead of being practically forced to sit out (based off of activity/teams in previous ladles).
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Overrated wrote:It seems to be a punishment to win the ladle in terms of matches played in the scenario of any seeds (I was pointing out my reasoning for 0 seeds).
:P You can always throw the Ladle after you reach the finals!

I see your point, but consider this counterpoint:
  1. Current Ladle winners, if they play at all, are almost guaranteed to play a terrible team in the opening round. Sometimes the team is so bad it doesn't even quality as a warm-up. (This is actually one of the arguments against seeding.)
  2. When good teams face each other the matches are generally longer. So long in fact that playing the extra opening round can contribute to major exhaustion by the time they reach the finals.
  3. Full randomization doesn't necessarily mean you can play more, it also means you are more likely to be eliminated in the first round!
How about we try using 1 seed for a few months and see how it goes? We can change it later if it doesn't work!
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

I would prefer 0 seeds over the other options for the same reasons that Overrated stated.
1 seed does make some sense though and I can also agree to that. :done: