Score setting when conquering a zone outside the zone.

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
nux
Round Winner

Score setting when conquering a zone outside the zone.

Post by nux »

When a zone collapses (not harmlessly) it gives the team half of the points it would give if there was a player inside the zone. The problem is that this is hardcoded.

Code: Select all

if ( 0 == enemiesInside_ )
        totalScore /= 2;
Im changing this and make it configurable as a 0+ float, i just cant think of a way to name the config item. Some of the options thought were:
  • FORTRESS_CONQUERED_OUTSIDE_RATIO
  • FORTRESS_CONQUEST_EMPTY_SCORE_FACTOR
  • FORTRESS_CONQUEST_SCORE_FACTOR
Any ideas?
Last edited by nux on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Score setting when conquering a zone outside the zone.

Post by epsy »

nux wrote:as a 0-1 float
Don't limit the server admin's craziness. Who knows, maybe someone might come up with something that brings double the points if you're out.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

epsy wrote:
nux wrote:as a 0-1 float
Don't limit the server admin's craziness. Who knows, maybe someone might come up with something that brings double the points if you're out.
My bad, i wasnt going to limit it, i read "0-1 float" somewhere else and it stuck.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

FORTRESS_CONQUEST_SCORE_FACTOR is good, but a little ambiguous when compared to the rest of the family.

FORTRESS_CONQUEST_EMPTY_SCORE_FACTOR is better, but really long. However, I prefer clarity over aesthetics so this would be my choice. I can't think of a better name right now.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

nux wrote:Im changing this and make it configurable as a 0+ float (...)
  • FORTRESS_CONQUERED_OUTSIDE_RATIO
  • FORTRESS_CONQUEST_EMPTY_SCORE_FACTOR
  • FORTRESS_CONQUEST_SCORE_FACTOR
What about negative values? Punishment for not being able to stay inside the sumo zone that is!

My personal preference about the name would be the first one, it tells from its name what it does. But as there'll be a help text anyways the 2nd one should be fine too.

And what about settings like CYCLE_RUBBER_MINDISTANCE_GAP_BACKDOOR or CAMERA_SERVER_CUSTOM_BACK_FROMSPEED? they're long-ass lines too, no problem with that :P
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

vov wrote:What about negative values? Punishment for not being able to stay inside the sumo zone that is!
Wouldn't that just be regular sumo zone behaviour, maybe combined with a score_die value?
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Phytotron wrote:
vov wrote:What about negative values? Punishment for not being able to stay inside the sumo zone that is!
Wouldn't that just be regular sumo zone behaviour, maybe combined with a score_die value?
No, if you open your mind you will see new game types can benefit from this. This isnt done to improve sumo, it is as good as it gets.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

nux wrote:No, if you open your mind you will see new game types can benefit from this. This isnt done to improve sumo, it is as good as it gets.
Wait, first you tell someone to "open their mind" then you say sumo "is as good as it gets?" That's the definition of having a closed mind. I can think of many, many ways to improve Sumo...
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Open your mind! I don't have to explain myself!

Open your mind! Always use the exact same physics in every Fortress and Sumo (et al) server!
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I will begin to use 'open-minded' as an insult for dogfight-players next time I get to play, because I can't stand it any longer.

"Oh, you died. Maybe you're too open-minded!" :)

"I forgot this server was full of open-mindedness."

"Please don't treat me as if I was open-minded."

Roland Barthes could have written a book about that.