Error while doing "make install"

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
chrisd
Round Winner

Error while doing "make install"

Post by chrisd »

Dear developers,

Today I compiled arma from source attempting to install it on Fedora 16 with the prefix /usr/local. At the "make install" step, it said

Code: Select all

/bin/sh /home/chrisd/download/armagetronad-0.2.8.3.2/install-sh -c batch/make/uninstall /usr/local/bin/armagetronad-uninstall
rm /usr/local/bin/armagetronad-uninstall
ROOTDIR= DESTDIR= MAKE="make" PREFIX="/usr/local" PROGTITLE="Armagetron Advanced" PROGNAME="armagetronad" SCRIPTDIR="/usr/local/share/games/armagetronad/scripts" sh batch/make/uninstall /usr/local/bin/armagetronad-uninstall ""
Generating uninstallation script /usr/local/bin/armagetronad-uninstall.../bin/sh: line 4: cd: DESTDIR_UNINSTALL/usr/local/share/doc/games/armagetronad/html/net: No such file or directory
Apparently this has something to do with the code fragment

Code: Select all

# invoke "make uninstall" with path bend to the rm wrapper
OLDPATH=$PATH
PATH=${TMPBIN}:$OLDPATH
export PATH
AA_FAKE_UNINSTALL="YES" DESTDIR=DESTDIR_UNINSTALL ${MAKE} uninstall > /dev/null || exit 1
that occurs in the script batch/make/uninstall. In any case writing "DESTDIR_UNINSTALL" is not the way to access a variable of that name. And if anyone had the idea of accessing a variable of that name at that point.... it is undefined..... So I really am not sure what is the idea....

In any case, just emptying the file batch/make/uninstall leads to a smooth "make install" but I am sure that is not what the author of said file had in mind....

All the best,
Chris
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Error while doing "make install"

Post by Z-Man »

This is an old issue. You probably re-ran ./bootstrap.sh, you're not supposed to do that for tarballs. You can work around it by passing --disable-uninstall to configure.

And no, it's not a variable. It's just a special fixed string.
chrisd
Round Winner

Post by chrisd »

Actually, I did no such thing. I just retried it and I did exactly:

rm -r -f armagetronad-0.2.8.3.2/
tar xzf armagetronad-0.2.8.3.2.src.tar.gz
cd armagetronad-0.2.8.3.2/
./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make
su
make install

and then the error occurs.
chrisd
Round Winner

Post by chrisd »

Ow... I found the Fedora package armacyclesad, so I do not really need to compile from source... o well... Apparently this is called armacyclesad because armagetronad would infring on the trademark TRON... This is the point where trademarks go crazy. We really should all vote for the pirate party to get some sense back into the world....
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Oh, hum, then I may have packaged that wrong.

Edit: I'll be fixing the archive, uploaded it as 0.2.8.3.2.1. It's the same source, just processed with an older automake.

Just a note, the rename Red Hat did was just out of caution. No complaint from Disney has ever been made.