Ladle 54

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Ladle 54

Post by Mkay1 »

18:00 is more active than 23:00 gmt. When have you seen a 9on9 in mb at 18:00? Quite often. What about 23:00? Solely American Sumo servers are populated
ElmosWorld
Match Winner

Post by ElmosWorld »

spin wrote:
ElmosWorld wrote:People rank them before they are randomized. If you want to be included, be in the IRC channel to give your opinion. Don't wait until afterwards to complain.
When did we start doing this?
And I am in school. This should be done when most Americans and Europeans are online at the same time which isn't 18:00 GMT during the week.
Ummmmm always? Or at least the year and a half I've played ladle
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

spin wrote:When did we start doing this?
We started doing it this way around the same time we started with seeding. But even before that, the bracket producers decided the servers in dialogue in the irc channel while randomizing. There's been talk about doing proper server rankings for many many months but we've never gotten around to it.

In my personal opinion, a server ranking committee would be the most practical solution (indirect democracy), but I don't have the time or know-how to set it up. Full democracy would be hard to regulate, and the way it is now it puts a lot of pressure on the bracket volunteers. I don't have any problem with the current way though
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Spin, stop complaining about every goddamn thing. You're the first person I've seen complain about SP1, versus several people who find it stable and reliable. And your opinion doesn't count because you have Time Warner as your ISP, so too bad.

It doesn't matter what time the brackets are chosen because hardly anyone volunteers to do it anyway. The scheduled time isn't the problem, the lack of enthusiasm is.

The easiest way I can think to rate the servers doesn't involve a committee, it involves you. I propose that everyone who wishes too, post a rating in the Ladle thread after the event. The rating can be a simple yes/no, good/bad. Votes in either direction cancel the others out and we keep a running total on a wiki page (I'll volunteer to keep it updated I guess, since I'm the one who usually does this stuff anyway).

Example after Ladle 54:
Spin: SP1 sucks (-1)
Titan: Team Elite's was bad for me (-1)
Poke: SP1 was stable (+1)
Wap: I liked CT MBX today (+1)
insa: SP1 performed great. (+1)
M-Kay1: Yeah SP1 felt good. (+1)
Desolate: Couldn't do anything on Team Elite's (-1), and MBX was bad too (-1)

The wiki page would have a simple rating such as:
SP1: +1
Team Elite: -2
CT MBX: 0

As long as people are explicit in their feedback using (+/- 1) then we can record this feedback for later. If you feel people are unfairly ranking a server because the are sore losers or big complainers, you should just counter their vote with a positive one. Over time the bad servers will get shuffled lower and stable one's will rise up (and picking servers gets easier).
Concord

Post by Concord »

I'd suggest a bit of rating decay as well, just to weight recent performance more.

So each individual Ladle's rating decays with time, so it's a rating of e^(-t/5) where t is the number of Ladles that have been played since the rating.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Yeah I was thinking about something similar.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

That's easy enough, just do something like

new score = old score * factor + new votes

Where factor can be 0.5 or something so the votes of the previous ladle are worth half, the one before worth a quarter etc.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

Mkay, not if the ladle lasts as long as last time, didn't it end around 6:30 est?
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

Oh I wasn't planning on making finals. ;)
-*inS*-
Round Winner

Post by -*inS*- »

Mkay1 wrote:Oh I was planning on beating everyone really quick so the ladle would end early
smh...
oak
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by oak »

sinewav wrote:Spin, stop complaining about every goddamn thing. You're the first person I've seen complain about SP1...
liz complained about SP2 on teamspeak. I've never seen her complain about a eu server.
And also, Acid's wst team complained about it in the wst results thread. I heard his entire team complaining on teamspeak during the event.

Maybe it was just a bad month for the server. w/e.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

SP is not going to host a server. don't know why it was still on the list

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

ElmosWorld
Match Winner

Post by ElmosWorld »

Replace it with CT LIV then?
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

For server rating: extend the player rater on playfortress for server rating. With the rating code you can make sure to give 1 vote per month for each player.
Concord

Post by Concord »