Scoreboard Delay

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Scoreboard Delay

Post by INW »

Why is there a delay between a match hitting the score limit and the message actually displaying the match winner.

An event today reminded me of this but it has happened a lot in tournament and casual play.

In fortress, a team might hit 100 first, but then someone dies during that "delay" and the score is tied, continuing the match.

Technically the team that hit 100 first should win, but they don't.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Scoreboard Delay

Post by Z-Man »

That delay is specifically there to not give a team or player the match win just because they managed to score their final point .001s earlier than the other team. And it's one of those things that are hard to make configurable.
INW

Post by INW »

But scoring that winning point .001 seconds before the tied point is acquired is still a win right?

It would make sense to have it at maybe .25 seconds so if two people "hug", the match continues but what is it at right now, 1 or 2 seconds?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Personally, I've always liked that delay, going all the way back. It makes for some fun and exciting match endings of various sorts. You know it's there, so be prepared and aware of its potential impact and act accordingly.

I'd much rather the accuracy of the actual score detection be improved. :)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:Personally, I've always liked that delay, going all the way back. It makes for some fun and exciting match endings of various sorts. You know it's there, so be prepared and aware of its potential impact and act accordingly.

I'd much rather the accuracy of the actual score detection be improved. :)
Agreed. :)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

For analogy purposes: In basketball or (American) football, the game isn't necessarily over right as soon as the clock expires.

In basketball, if the ball is in there air when the buzzer goes off but before the shot goes in, that shot still counts. Buzzer beater! One of the most exciting moments in basketball. (Hey Wildcat, you watching this? :P )

In football, if the clock expires after the snap the play can continue, and in football that could carry on for quite a bit, the result of that play counts. I don't know if you're familiar with the historic River City Relay. Here, the play continued for another 16 full seconds after the game clock expired. They even got to attempt the PAT...but missed.

There are countless classic plays like these you'll find all over YouTube by just following the related links. THE BAND IS OUT ON THE FIELD!!!
Last edited by Phytotron on Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
INW

Post by INW »

sinewav wrote:
Phytotron wrote:I'd much rather the accuracy of the actual score detection be improved. :)
Agreed. :)
✔+
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Not only that, when you have a team hit the 100 mark, while the other team is at 98, and the other team scores the 2 points to tie during the delay, then you have the requirement to have a rematch.

Isn't that fun?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

INW wrote:But scoring that winning point .001 seconds before the tied point is acquired is still a win right?
Obviously not :)
INW wrote:It would make sense to have it at maybe .25 seconds so if two people "hug", the match continues but what is it at right now, 1 or 2 seconds?
See, that's impossible. The score analysis function only runs once per second. A shorter delay would mean a fluctuating delay, consistent .25 seconds are not possible. .25 to 1.25 seconds, yes, but that's a huge relative inconsistency people would notice and consider unfairly random.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Lucifer wrote:Not only that, when you have a team hit the 100 mark, while the other team is at 98, and the other team scores the 2 points to tie during the delay, then you have the requirement to have a rematch.

Isn't that fun?
Indeed, just one of the "various sorts" of match endings I meant above. Sudden death overtime! :D Or even multiple overtimes, heh.