Demo Mode

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Neo

Demo Mode

Post by Neo »

Hi Everyone

I always put open source software on laptops that I sell in the little phone shop I work in. I would like to put one of the laptops in the window showing Armagetron Advanced playing in a "Demo Mode" to catch peoples eye as they come past the shop.

I tried a screen video captcha but it did not work all that well and did not find a suitable clip on youtube. Could we create a demo mode for this purpose? The more laptops I sell the more people discover the joy of armagetron advanced, libre office and other open source software!

I have done a little programing and would be willing to help.

Kind Regards

Neo of thephonebox.co.uk
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Demo Mode

Post by syllabear »

Couldn't you just put it on a local game with some bots?

If the player is "talking" then they are also bot controlled, and so if someone wants a go, they simply press esc or enter to come back into the game.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

-Enter local game
-Esc>Change Game> Game setup
-Change things like number of AI players etc to what you want, change "Finish Mode" to "Normal Finish", put yourself on spectate

et voila
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Or, add this to autoexec.cfg:

Code: Select all

CHATBOT_ALWAYS_ACTIVE 1                                                                 
CHATBOT_MIN_TIMESTEP .01                                                                
CHATBOT_RANGE 2                                                                         
CHATBOT_NEW_WALL_BLINDNESS 0                                                            
CHATBOT_DECAY 0
And enter a local game with parameters of your choice. This lets the active player be chatbot controlled at all times. It's not aggressive at all, but does some spectacular moves at times with these settings.

Also, you may experiment with splitscreen. Horizontal two player mode may help bridge periods where nothing much happens for one player.
Neo

Post by Neo »

Syllabear, Ppotter, Z-man thankyou so much for your quick responces I will try your ideas later today!

Thanks again :D :D :D