Cycle Turn Delay

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Cycle Turn Delay

Post by TiTnAsS »

Would it be possible to make a server setting that limits the amount of keys used for each input (like right or left turn) in one of the future builds? That way double binding (or sealing, whatever you want to call it) can be eliminated for those servers that don't care for it, but you don't have the drawbacks that the turn delay has.

Right now, I notice the turn delay solves the first problem, but makes it much more difficult to follow tight tunnels as well. Sure by doing this you'd still be able to seal somewhat, but it definitely wouldn't be to the magnitude that it is right now.

Sorry if this has been touched on before ;).
Damn, it sure has been a while!
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Cycle Turn Delay

Post by Desolate »

I've already played single-bind only sumo, Durka set up the settings for it.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

DOUBLEBIND_TIME
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

epsy wrote:DOUBLEBIND_TIME
Yuck! that setting prevents multi-threading in my head. :)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

TiTnAsS wrote:That way double binding (or sealing, whatever you want to call it)
Those are two completely different things. What are you wanting to accomplish? Disallowing doublebinding, or preventing "sealing?" And why the hell would you want to do the latter? Don't tell me you've bought into this "open" crap (although I suppose it would be appealing to you given your proclivities vis a vis tunneling).

In any event, in either case there are settings to facilitate both. DOUBLEBIND_TIME is the one for the first case. There are also (inexplicably) now a handful of settings designed to enforce "open play."
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

It was merely a passing thought that came to mind after being caught up on the wrong side of a few double bind sealings. Not really an issue, just something I thought I'd ask about. I'm not really chasing after the tunneling and mazing gameplay aspect anymore, only when in private with like minded souls I suppose. ;)

And aren't you the host of BiH or w/e? And if so, isn't that server an attempt at "open" play?

Honestly I don't care what server i'm playing on (although I do notice there is outrageously high rubber, and short tails on every server now days), I just figured I'd familiarize myself with the possibilities incase I ever decided to give a server a crack. :)

Thanks for the info. Is there a list and explanation of these different optional settings? I don't like the way BiH disallows quick sequential turning, but I am interested in seeing how to counter the double bind seals that take 3 or 4 dbs back and forth to pass.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

TiTnAsS wrote:
And aren't you the host of BiH or w/e? And if so, isn't that server an attempt at "open" play?

I'm rooting for Phytotron in this one
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I loathe and despise "open/loose/DF/whatever," and especially the insistence and enforcement thereof, so, hell no. And, in fact, had you read the fullscreen "Message of the Day" when entering Shrunkland or BiH, you'd have seen that. :) (Mind you, this is distinguished from the old voluntary, mutual tunneling and whatnot. That's fine.)

However, there are settings in place to discourage and penalise adjusting and 180-grinding against a wall ("the double bind seals that take 3 or 4 dbs back and forth to pass") in both Shrunkland and BiH, the former being a bit harsher than the latter. That is primarily accomplished with the combined use of CYCLE_RUBBER_DELAY and CYCLE_RUBBER_DELAY_BONUS. There's stuff about those settings elsewhere on the forum (usually involving me).

With respect to the turning in BiH, that's simply CYCLE_DELAY 0.1, which is also the default. I personally dislike and object on principle to anything less. I don't think that doublebinders (or more) should be given a turning advantage over single-binders, hence that setting. (There's still an advantage, but it's not nearly as pronounced.)

So, I think you're conflating settings and their effects. Neither doublebinding nor CYCLE_DELAY are what make adjusting or doubling back against a wall possible. It's the rubber code and settings that do that, primarily. But when it comes to preventing that sort of behaviour, the three settings I've mentioned here to work in concert with one another. There are other settings that can be adjusted to tweak and refine that, as well, such as _MINADJUST and the various MINDISTANCE settings.

By the way, you might want to read some of your own older posts. :wink:
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =46&t=2433
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Trust me, I don't want to read any of my old posts any more then you do. :oops:

Its been quite a while since I've had an opportunity to mess with these settings, and honestly, I didn't remember a single one of these settings purposes when I brought this topic up.

I suppose at this point it would be appropriate for me to just go and test all the settings and try to find that "sweet spot". Regardless, the issue stems from me not being aware that the capabilities of what I was suggesting were already in place. Seeing as I have no interest in running a server of my own, due to computer restraints, slow internet, and having forgotten my router password, I guess its a moot point. :lol:

It would seem that popular demand does not include the settings that I feel would be optimal, and the servers reflect that.

Thanks much for the great input though :).