Time based Fortress?

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Van-hayes
Round Winner

Re: Time based Fortress?

Post by Van-hayes »

Ya the sink death isn't really a death it just says "Vanhayes fell in a sink" or something like that, which isn't that deadly unless there is something leathal in said sink.
You've gone too far, turn back!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ACCESS_LEVEL_SHUFFLE_UP 20 please. Or 15.

Overall I'd say this server is quite good. Yes, quite good. I did die on an invisible wall once last night, but other than that I haven't seen many bugs.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

:D Hurray! We all love Fortress Onslaught.

:| But...

:x Goddamn does that server lag hard! Anyone want to pick up this game on another server? Or is it hopeless because of how hacked it is?

:wink: No other complains about the game, just that the voting seems a little messed up. It's really hard to kick a fool.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Vanhayes wrote:Vanhayes fell in a sink
It was full of Piranhas? :P
sinewav wrote:ACCESS_LEVEL_SHUFFLE_UP 20 please. Or 15.
Sorry, I missed this post. I've checked, and it is set to 15, ie you need to be authenticated in order to shuffle up. Is it not working like that?
sinewav wrote:Goddamn does that server lag hard!
I've never had a problem with bad lags there, ever since there was a limit of 5 players per team anyhow.
But I have recently had the vps Onslaught runs un re-imaged with ubuntu (it was debian). Maybe I need to tweek some settings or other configs to get the best out of it.
To be honest, I haven't actually played there on a full server since the re-image. I play this game rarely these days, and when I have recently the server is empty.
But I have played on Flower Sumo, which runs on the same server, and had no noticably bad lag there. Could you play on Flower Sumo one time, see if you get the same lags there?
sinewav wrote:Anyone want to pick up this game on another server? Or is it hopeless because of how hacked it is?
It's just a sty+ct server with a simple script running that controls respawns ( and lives, death messages, etc ). If indeed my server is proving it's not up to the task, I'm happy to pass my script on to someone else to have a go. Perhaps Kyle is interested? He understands how these scripts are used and has access to decent servers.
I would like to see what is wrong with my server first. I've checked the logs and a couple of people have said it's for more laggy than it used to be. I may be able to fix that.
sinewav wrote:the voting seems a little messed up. It's really hard to kick a fool.
It currently just uses default voting settings from examples/cvs_test/fortress_complete.cfg. If there are any more up to date tried and tested voting settings floating around, I'm happy to use them.

I will try and play there over the next few days, I'll pop into irc and try to get some players in the server so I can see the lag for myself and monitor the server in real time to see if I can't get to the bottom of the lag problem.

Another post I missed :S
Hoax wrote:Orange text regarding time left is not very visually pleasing
Yeah, colours are not really my forte. You wanna see the contents of my wardrobe :oops:
Someone post me a new colour, I can easily exchange it.
Hoax wrote:and still think the respawn is too quick
The trouble is if the last person on a team is not respawed within a certain time the other team will win.
If you've ever understood the matrix world you'll know what I mean. You can hack and bend your surroundings, but you're always bound by the underlying rules, bend these too much and the world starts to break.
Hoax wrote:I guess because you can't remove it?
See previous answer. Without it's own zone, the attacking team immediately wins the round.

Thanks for your comments :)
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I would love to pick up this server, if possible. I have begun scripting my first server, using php with the sty+ct binary. I would like to put it up on one of my NY dedicated servers. That would be a nice complement to the European one that you are hosting. I also would like to work with the script you have developed, to do something similar with CTF.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

ed wrote:
sinewav wrote:Anyone want to pick up this game on another server? Or is it hopeless because of how hacked it is?
It's just a sty+ct server with a simple script running that controls respawns ( and lives, death messages, etc ). If indeed my server is proving it's not up to the task, I'm happy to pass my script on to someone else to have a go. Perhaps Kyle is interested? He understands how these scripts are used and has access to decent servers.
I would like to see what is wrong with my server first. I've checked the logs and a couple of people have said it's for more laggy than it used to be. I may be able to fix that.
that's fine with me if you care to pass the script over
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

OK, do with as you will...

settings_custom.cfg and onslaught script.

Be aware compguygene, this script is messy and perhaps not a great introduction into the world of sty+ct scripting using php. Although there is much to be learnt from it as it was my attempt at trying new techniques.
The plan was to create classes for players and teams that could be easily reused in other scripts. Ended up being a bit overkill in this case, but I still think the idea has merit.
On the whole, the script works, but it is not the best way it could have been written. If time was not finite I would definately rewrite with a far smaller, neater script accomplishing the exact same thing. In reality, time is short and I can't be arsed.
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

Ah, i love the server too much, and my ping is like 200-250 at NY. Shall I use my server, too? Then we have two, one at EU, one at NY. If you agree, you need to tell me how to integrate the script into the server.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

The ct wiki has instructions and examples in the way of a scripted sty+ct server.
This of course is only one way to do it. Kyle runs his servers very differently using python.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

ed wrote:Kyle runs his servers very differently using python.
actually i run it almost the same. just my script does all the tailing and writing instead of using the pipes

anyways i should have it up on mine, it blended in on my server quite well. i just had to change the python stuff to php and use pipes for the parser
it's called Fortress Onslaught USA
usa.crazy-tronners.com:4540
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

ed wrote:The ct wiki has instructions and examples in the way of a scripted sty+ct server.
This of course is only one way to do it. Kyle runs his servers very differently using python.
Ok, i get it how to. Thank you for the link. I will do it today/evening tomorrow/morning. :)
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

sinewav wrote:Goddamn does that server lag hard!
I've just played on my Fortress Onslaught with a mainly full server for a good 30 minutes and there was very little lag for me. I asked around, and people said it was fine.
Granted the server was mainly housing Europeans at the time, it's hosted in Germany.
Maybe it's our American cousins who are lagging more? Possibly the server was having a bad day when you wrote this?
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

I agree with Hayes
That the deaths are
Illogical And faulty
screenshot_11.png
Ok above is saying i was thrown INTO
Frozen lake...I could be thrown ONTO
Afrozen lake, but not in one...

screenshot_12.png
Here Is way wrong
First of all i not Gay
Could you really Die from it?
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

I actually thinks that into works pretty fine and makes complete sense.

@ed have you added my death yet?
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

@mkay: the first one makes sense, even if a lake is frozen its not that hard to throw something in it, also you being from Florida I don't think you're an expert on frozen things. Your second complaint makes no sense, where did you get gay from red hot poker up the ass? I'm pretty sure no gay guy has ever done that. Ever. And yes it would probably kill you, in a horrifyingly painful way.

@ed I played here for a few hours today so here is what i saw: 1. It's always fun with a full server and 2. it got really laggy a few times there but for the most part with 5 on 5 and usually a spec or two it was pretty smooth, no more lag then any other euro server for me.
You've gone too far, turn back!