help on a dedicated server!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
halo3

help on a dedicated server!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by halo3 »

okay. so i downloaded an armagetron advanced dedicated server and installed it. when i click it i type commands and stuff but after i type all of the commands i want what do i do to make it start on the net so others can play on it? please help! :!: :!: :!:
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Try reading through this.

P.S. Nice username :P.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

more descriptive subject line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Self_Destructo
Round Winner

Post by Self_Destructo »

It's funny that the need for support almost always seems to get exaggerated. :) But nevertheless, it's our own fault if we just take a look.

We should have sticky posts up that scream:

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING

And have a directory listing with links for the most common problems that people post about, such as this one.

Then we have the right to complain about noobs posting common (almost everyday) questions.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Quite honestly, I don't mind if we all take a turn linking these kinds of questions to the appropriate places. The total work for any individual is very small, you could even bookmark the FAQ and just do a little drag and drop. There's all sorts of people here who can easily point people in that direction.

What I seriously mind is these subject lines that, as you say, really exaggerate the need for support. It's whining, plain and simple. The whole purpose is to show us how the person feels. They do not provide us any information at all, and no reason to read the thread, other than "Hey look at me, I'm whining over here". Why should I read that thread? I ignore most of them. Every now and then I come into such a thread and complain much like I'm doing now.

When you've got many support threads and you're actively trying to support several of them, you want some way to distinguish them in a list. When the list is 4 threads that all say "PLZ HELP IM DUMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", which ones do you respond to? How do you distinguish them?

- Iron Maiden
Self_Destructo
Round Winner

Post by Self_Destructo »

Good question. And the answer is: You can't. ;)

All I am saying is that we could lessen the need for support (and the complete ignorance) if we would do as I suggested. I suppose even I could make up the list and post it and someone else could sticky it, and I might if I can find some time to do such.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

What you suggested will help for threads posted in the support section. There are a lot of these threads that get posted in other locations, but I think I could stomach linking them to the support section and asking them to re-state their question there.

- Iron Maiden
QUARG
Round Winner

Post by QUARG »

S.D. i have tried even going as far as sending a person a pm with step by step instructions on how to setup and boot a mac based dedicated server and still get the "what do i do?" question. I mean i couldnt have been any clearer in the procedure and still get it.
I agree that it might be helpful for the semi intelligent people out there but you still have the others that dont even take the 2 seconds and scroll down 2 topics for a similar thread and just post "HELP!!!!!!" like its life threatening.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

You know what? I've got a few minutes, I'll write that post. :)

- Iron Maiden
Self_Destructo
Round Winner

Post by Self_Destructo »

Nice work.

Quarg: At least the few semi smart people don't have to wait for an answer. And if they are totally dumb, they shouldn't be trying it. Which, most of them are so dumb that they not even realize that for themselves. Nevertheless, we are committed to helping even the dumbest of them all. :|
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Locking the READ ME FIRST subject so that only us devs can post to it would also be useful, elseway I see the thread flooded with generic help requests :)