FAQ FAQ   Search Search  Register Register   Login Login  
   Main Site   Wiki  



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

Author Message
 PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:15 am  Post subject: Ladle 12 - Private?
Offline
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:15 am
Posts: 1880
Location: LA, CA, USA, NA
I guess we can just continue the discussion here:

I'm guessing turning off the server from the master list would be good, but what about the players that bookmark servers. They won't be able to see it on the master list not knowing there is a tournament.

How about password protected servers. As 2020 said, it might attract players.

Or, just changing the port to a different # so the bookmarks won't work, but custom connect will.

Post your comments below.

_________________
[Armagetron Fortress League]


Top
Profile
 
 PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:11 am  Post subject:
Offline
Core Dumper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:11 am
Posts: 161
Location: C eh N eh D eh
The changeing of the port #'s is what z-man and others have been talking about since this topic was brought up a month or so ago


Top
Profile
 
 PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:22 am  Post subject:
Offline
Shutout Match Winner

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:24 pm
Posts: 869
Location: UK
I guess the ip/password would have to be handed out somehow, email or a forum pm. Either could also just be distibuted by each teams captain though.

If it was individual then every player would have to be 'signed up' therefore eliminating confusion about player numbers (an issue that i think was raised on the ladle 11 feedback page).
However this in turn may hinder the tournament as extra players may not be able to connect, for example 2020 & wrtl helping us out last ladle.
Maybe the best option would be to have a system like the TST. This might kill the wiki element though.
Even so i think every player has the brains to use custom conect or use the password; maybe this will test 2020's concept on a self organised tournament :wink:


Top
Profile
 
 PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:57 am  Post subject:
Offline
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:42 am
Posts: 1679
Location: 0x08048000
We can already prevent players to switch teams/prevent new players to join a team no matter what by a simple setting. At least all servers built from a recent SVN checkout can.

If you start to complain about lag now, noone has ever proven that spectators significantly increase it.
If you start to talk about the fact that spectators can chat and disturb you I suggest you enable the SILENCE_ALL setting as soon as the match starts. It won't silence people already on the server, but it will silence any player who joins the game after you set it. You'll still see the join and leave messages, but there's more redundand talk by actual players than join/leave messages, so I doubt it would matter a lot.

You won't ever attract new players to the ladle if you stop them from watching or even knowing that there is a match.

z-man: why doesn't the SILENCE_ALL setting on the server act like it does on the client?

_________________
There's no place like ::1


Top
Profile
 
 PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:34 pm  Post subject:
Offline
God & Project Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Posts: 10562
Location: Cologne, Jabber: z-man@amessage.de
Most spectators who joined this time were in fact other ladle players, they'd be informed about the secret servers anyway and won't be kept out. I'm with wrtl, it doesn't make too much sense to keep the servers locked or secret.

wrtlprnft wrote:
why doesn't the SILENCE_ALL setting on the server act like it does on the client?
Because I'm inconsistent and lazy. Really, the effect SILENCE_ALL currently has on the client should come from a setting called SILENCE_ALL_NEW, and both effects should be available on server and client.


Top
Profile
 
 PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:41 pm  Post subject:
Offline
Outside Corner Grinder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:21 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: the future
HoAX wrote:
I guess the ip/password would have to be handed out somehow, email or a forum pm. Either could also just be distibuted by each teams captain though.

captains should be turning up at irc
where they could get the passwords...
this also might encourage players to turn up to an irc chatroom
though the captain may use whatever system they want to in distributinng the info...
HoAX wrote:
If it was individual then every player would have to be 'signed up' therefore eliminating confusion about player numbers (an issue that i think was raised on the ladle 11 feedback page).
However this in turn may hinder the tournament as extra players may not be able to connect, for example 2020 & wrtl helping us out last ladle.

i don't think we can draw a hard line with player-named entries
if we had
the ladle series would have come to an end by number 3 or 4 if i remember...
maybe one day we are popular enough to enforce this kind of thing
imho it can work with pairs but no larger...
HoAX wrote:
Maybe the best option would be to have a system like the TST. This might kill the wiki element though.

i like the tst system with private emails going to players...
though i think this could be used by teamcaptains...
HoAX wrote:
Even so i think every player has the brains to use custom conect or use the password; maybe this will test 2020's concept on a self organised tournament :wink:

cheeky )
one thing is to get your ass at a server on time with your teammates
another is fiddling around with technical stuff...
i mean...
i only was able to use irc because of joda's interface
otherwise it was impenetrable
(to my little mind)

_________________
hold the line


Top
Profile
 
 PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:47 pm  Post subject:
Offline
Outside Corner Grinder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:21 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: the future
wrtlprnft wrote:
You won't ever attract new players to the ladle if you stop them from watching or even knowing that there is a match.

z-man wrote:
Most spectators who joined this time were in fact other ladle players, they'd be informed about the secret servers anyway and won't be kept out. I'm with wrtl, it doesn't make too much sense to keep the servers locked or secret.


secret servers will not only make games invisible
it makes the entire competition invisible...
players unaware of fortress tournaments will be none the wiser

hence
password protected servers will show on the master list
and new players will want to know what is going on...
and i suspect some will visit the wiki to find out if there is a link

regarding live spectating of games...
at this stage
my guess is that a game report video might be best...
until we can get some kind of server-mirror thing

so
if we can not get passwords written in to server code
then let's do the secret thing
though i hope to god it is easy...

perhaps we can consider passwords and spectator solutions for the next run...?

_________________
hold the line


Top
Profile
 
 PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:25 pm  Post subject:
Offline
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:42 am
Posts: 1679
Location: 0x08048000
z-man wrote:
wrtlprnft wrote:
why doesn't the SILENCE_ALL setting on the server act like it does on the client?
Because I'm inconsistent and lazy. Really, the effect SILENCE_ALL currently has on the client should come from a setting called SILENCE_ALL_NEW, and both effects should be available on server and client.
Given that we can't change the meaning of the clientside SILENCE_ALL and we want to keep it consistent, I'd suggest we make the serverside SILENCE_ALL act like the current clientside setting.
The setting to really silence everyone (current serverside SILENCE_ALL behavior) could be called ENABLE_CHAT (inverted, of course) and work the same way on the server and client.

Also, while we're at it, what about a serverside WEAK_SILENCING? If enabled, silenced people could still send messages, but only other silenced players and logged in people would be able to read them. This would be useful for spectator to spectator chat and asking the admin to unsilence you.

By the way, I doubt a password-protected server would have any more attractive effect than an invisible one.

_________________
There's no place like ::1


Top
Profile
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TheNate and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by two camels and phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group