0.2.8.1: Release process and bugs

Help test release candidates for the next release
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

0.2.8.1: Release process and bugs

Post by Z-Man »

Short recap of what happened for 0.2.8.0:
We found a security flaw.
I decided, and take the responsibility, to fix it and go directly to 0.2.8.0 without a further release candidate which would have been the normal procedure. The rationale was that we'd get users to upgrade faster and get them out of danger fast.
I still think it was the right decision at that time, but MS Windows threw a totally unexpected error at some of our users, making 0.2.8.0 unusable for them. So in retrospect, it was the wrong decision.
My attempt to fix the situation with a build update failed, there was no easy fix. 0.2.8.0-1, as it was called, only half fixed the security problem.

So, we're deep in the shit, and it's my fault. We need 0.2.8.1 ASAP, and it needs to be source identical to a test version.

A "candidate candidate" alpha build, version 0.2.8_alpha20060319, has been pushed to AABeta. The security fix code has been reworked there, those Windows users who had problem with 0.2.8.0 should grab it. It's surely better than running around with an insecure version.

I ask everyone with a bit of time to test it and report here how it works. Thanks in advance.

Note: everything that has been said to come in 0.2.8.1 obviously is postponend for 0.2.8.2.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

0.2.8.1 should NOT be a release fixing only a single platform. Do a 0.2.8.0-r1 or such. I have patches for fixes all ready to commit for 0.2.8.1 when b0_2_8_0 is closed and development returns to b0_2_8.
belenus
Round Winner

Re: 0.2.8.1: Release process and bugs

Post by belenus »

z-man wrote:I ask everyone with a bit of time to test it and report here how it works. Thanks in advance.
Done, although I didn't test them thoroughly.

I installed and started both GCC and VC6 version and both start just fine under Windows, inside D:\Programme\Arma....

Any other changes inside, or just for Windows?
- bel
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Thanks, belenus. There are other changes as well for all platforms, otherwise this wouldn't be 0.2.8.1, as Luke correctly says.
Luke-Jr wrote:I have patches for fixes all ready to commit for 0.2.8.1 when b0_2_8_0 is closed and development returns to b0_2_8.
Development never left b_0_2_8, that's what branches are for :) You could have committed them any time after b0_2_8_0 was started.

Is there a way for me to find out how often the alpha was downloaded?
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

z-man wrote:
Luke-Jr wrote:I have patches for fixes all ready to commit for 0.2.8.1 when b0_2_8_0 is closed and development returns to b0_2_8.
Development never left b_0_2_8, that's what branches are for :) You could have committed them any time after b0_2_8_0 was started.
When in limited-time mode, I like to keep all my changes to a single branch to reduce personal confusion. ;)
Also, I suspect parts may depend on changes in 0280, hence why I'm waiting to hear that 0280 is merged into 028 and discontinued.
z-man wrote:Is there a way for me to find out how often the alpha was downloaded?
Certainly is... assuming you don't want to exclude incomplete downloads: (result is 22 right now)

Code: Select all

grep 'GET.*fetch\.php' /var/log/apache2/access_log | grep 20060319 | wc -l
Note: This is why the main website (www.) should be linking via fetch.php and not directly to SF downloads!
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

The main site links to sf directly because downloads from it can't be offline. Ever.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Luke-Jr wrote:Also, I suspect parts may depend on changes in 0280, hence why I'm waiting to hear that 0280 is merged into 028 and discontinued.
The branch has been merged after every release candidate using partial merging; I just forgot to announce that for 0.2.8.0. b0_2_8 currently contains all changes in b0_2_8_0 up to 0.2.8.0, the trunk all the changes up to beta4 since I did not manage to merge it yet, it's more complicated. So if your patches were against b0_2_8_0, they are likely to already work in b0_2_8.
Self_Destructo
Round Winner

Post by Self_Destructo »

Ok, screen shutters alot, if you need a recording I suppose I can give you one.

Also, I tried to switch from fullscreen to windowed mode and I got no window. All I could hear was sound. I tried to go back to fullscreen, it wouldn't. I had to shut it down by alt f4. I didn't try to duplicate it though to see if it happened again.

Also, the first time I started it none of the keys worked. I had to ctrl + alt + del to get out of it and shut it down. Then I start it up again, and it works fine from then on.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Self_Destructo wrote:Ok, screen shutters alot, if you need a recording I suppose I can give you one.
Yes, a recording would be nice. I don't know if it will help.
Self_Destructo wrote:Also, the first time I started it none of the keys worked. I had to ctrl + alt + del to get out of it and shut it down. Then I start it up again, and it works fine from then on.
Sometimes, something goes wrong when you start the game from the installer. The input focus is not transfered to the app, but it goes to fullscreen anyway. alt-tab cycling works for me in these cases, and it does not happen if I start it from the menu and wait until it is up before pressing any more keys. I'll see whether it's possible to catch that case, but I don't think the app can ask anyone whether it currently has input focus.
Self_Destructo wrote:Also, I tried to switch from fullscreen to windowed mode and I got no window. All I could hear was sound. I tried to go back to fullscreen, it wouldn't. I had to shut it down by alt f4. I didn't try to duplicate it though to see if it happened again.
Hmm, almost that happened with some versions of SDL, maybe I built with the wrong one. I'll check that. Did it come up right in windowed mode after that?
Self_Destructo
Round Winner

Post by Self_Destructo »

I'll get you a recording.

Yes, it did come back up in windowed mode.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

SD: I couldn't find differences in the SDL build source. The binaries differ, but that may just be date tags or whatever the compiler adds. Did you fetch the GCC or the VC6 build? Perhaps the other works better?

One other thing you could try: a little surgery :) Take your last working version of AA and reinstall it into a different directory than the alpha. Then copy over one DLL file after the other from the working version to the alpha and test whether it improves things. Last, copy over the executable. If that doesn't help either, it's not the build's fault :)

Or just reinstall AA. Sometimes, shit happens.

Is anybody else experiencing such strange problems?
Self_Destructo
Round Winner

Post by Self_Destructo »

Ok, I'll start working on this now. I normally always download the VC6 because it always works better for me (even though I don't know the difference) but this time I downlaoded the GCC build. I'm gonna do some of this testing for you.

I do recall, the last version I used that didn't shutter on me was beta 4. So, do you want me to do the file overwriting with it despite it's so far back?
Self_Destructo
Round Winner

Post by Self_Destructo »

Ok, here is the recording of the shuttering. Almost seems like it's something wrong with the cam... *makes me think I should try different cams*.

Edit: It does it on all cams, some more prominent than others.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Thanks for the recording. Yes, it must be the camera code. I only looked at it for now, I can't assess yet whether it qualifies for an immediate fix (it would need to be surely free of bad side effects). Please report such errors earlier in the future, we're not telepathic here :). If there is a bug that's not fixed, especially if it persists across several versions, we don't know about it.

The surgery would be for the other issue with the switch to windowed mode. Nothing should have changed to our support libraries for a long time and they should be exchangeable between builds.
Self_Destructo
Round Winner

Post by Self_Destructo »

Ok, np. I guess I just report them if I have time. Also, I don't have a recording (maybe I should record every game lol) but I went trough a bike wall in my server today. :) I just pressed the brake and ground really deep into it in a very short amount of time. I'll try it again sometime.