0.2.8.0 final: Release process and bugs

Help test release candidates for the next release
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Depth buffer can't handle it => Walls are too close => Settings make grinding too easy?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yes, that'd be my best guess as well. CYCLE_RUBBER_MINDISTANCE may be too low, or CYCLE_RUBBER_SPEED times CYCLE_RUBBER too high.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yep, mindistance was the culprit. It had been set to zero. :oops:

(cycle_rubber and cycle_rubber_speed are currently 3.5 and 40, respectively)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Oscilloscope wrote:Yep, mindistance was the culprit
Scratch that. It still happens sometimes with mindistance upped.

Um, in other additional news, is it expected behaviour that MINADJUST 0 combined with MINDISTANCE .01 should produce bounce?

Searching for "minadjust" led me to this http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=1774, but besides being about 2.7.1, it also didn't give me the answer. (An update of those explanations would be great, though.)

Recording attached in case.

(I again apologize if I'm resembling a child pulling at his parent's pants with questions. Just checking things.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Oscilloscope wrote:
Increase it some more? Floating point inaccuracies are unavoidable sometimes.
Oscilloscope wrote:Um, in other additional news, is it expected behaviour that MINADJUST 0 combined with MINDISTANCE .01 should produce bounce?
No. Luckily, your recording does not show bounces, they're perfect 180s. Since your first grind is already pretty deep, your 180 can't go any deeper (because of MINADJUST 0). I'm on them, and you just gave me an easier way to produce them :) Thanks.

What was true about minadjust et al back then is still true now. Still, it may be a good idea to place all this stuff on the wiki when I have time.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

z-man wrote:
Oscilloscope wrote:
Increase it some more? Floating point inaccuracies are unavoidable sometimes.
Whatever mindistance is set to is irrelevant—so long as it allows putting one wall up against another, it'll happen. Any server, any settings.

Besides, as I said, this has never happened with previous versions. I haven't changed anything on my side, hardware-wise. It's not a big deal to me, but I figured if it has never happened with any previous version (including the last 2.8 rc) and it suddenly began happening with this one, then something related changed with this version and you would therefore want to know about it. But, whatever.