0.2.8.0 final: Release process and bugs

Help test release candidates for the next release
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Mac builds are on sourceforge. I added them to AABeta, but the changes haven't picked up yet.

Mac OS X 10.2.8 build (not tested). Please test and report back.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

nemostultae wrote:Mac OS X 10.2.8 build (not tested). Please test and report back.
Seems to work fine.
nemostultae wrote:...but the changes haven't picked up yet.
Is that anything I or other users need to be concerned with?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Erm, I'm again getting that deal where you enter a server and the camera is just sitting there in one corner somewheres rather than following a player. Not a big deal, but I think I recall this being dealt with before and fixed, so methinks you'll know what I'm talking about.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Unfortunately, the fix for that bug had undesireable side effects during later rounds, so it was reverted. I'll stab at it again for 0.2.8.1. Press both left or right turn and the camera mode change key to work around it.
~|DS|~|Patch|
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by ~|DS|~|Patch| »

6 hours of straight playing, with the final, and no bugs to be found, i think you guys did good.
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

The Windows dedicated version, both GCC and VS6, cannot be started, it complains about "var" not existing or accessible in the user path although it exists and I tried to upgrade from RC4... so I reinstalled RC4 and all runs fine again.
- bel
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Preliminary Gentoo ebuild uploaded to aabeta last night in a rush to leave for work. It should work, but needs a bit of cleanup. I'll probably replace it with -r1 soon (though the ebuild itself will not have the revision bump, since it won't have any effect on the result; this is a Gentoo policy).
Edit: nevermind, I can't find anything to clean...

Also new for 0.2.8.0 is a very basic automatic resource submission for the official repository. Link to http://beta.armagetronad.net/028-link/addmaps

Developer's Note: to make this resource uploader secure, I had to setup setuid php scripts on the server. This means that it now has an 'armagetronad' user which owns the 'htdocs' and 'resource' directories. It also involved reworking the automatic cvs update on the 'htdocs' directory to run as the new user (instead of root, as it was prior to the change). As a result, this new setup has not had much testing and updates might have problems. Bug me every time it fails (give changes 5 minutes or so) to be sure I know the problem persists. ;)
belenus
Round Winner

Post by belenus »

Last edited by belenus on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
- bel
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Belenus: Could you post the full Windows error? You may be bitten here by our security fix.
The first error probably is caused by binreloc not being supported on BSD, we'll have to work around that. The second error apparently needs special fixing for each platform, we already ignore requests for "../etc/catalog" and "file:///etc/xml/catalog", your newly found xml catalog (what is this thing, anyway, and why does libxml2 want it?) needs to be added.

Luke: compiling the ebuild now, working fine so far. Is there an one-line way to build it from the file you gave? Like "unpack-into-local-portage-tree-and-build ..."?
microbus
Core Dumper

Post by microbus »

just for info, on the updated downloads page, the exe vc6 file for
client links to a dedicated server file instead:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/arma ... .win32.exe?
the exe gcc file is okay though
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

microbus wrote:just for info, on the updated downloads page, the exe vc6 file for
client links to a dedicated server file instead:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/arma ... .win32.exe?
the exe gcc file is okay though
Thanks for pointing that out, it's been fixed now.

Which of course means that the main site has been updated for 0.2.8.0. Should we do a sf.net news post as well?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yes, we should make a news entry. Do you want to do it? I'll take care of freshmeat and the happy penguin. Feel free to swarm over all the other software update sites.

Ebuild is working. Well, I had to throw out all the other installations that had accumulated for the binary in /usr/games/bin to be selected :) The uninstall scripts were useful there.
I suppose this starup message is something we'll have to live with for now:

Code: Select all

Warning in void FindConfigurationPath(const char*) in /Big/tmp/portage/armagetronad-0.2.8.0/work/armagetronad-0.2.8.0/src/tools/tDirectories.cpp:1166 :
        Could not determine path to configuration files. Using defaults or command line arguments.
I didn't build the server yet, that's next.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Tank Program wrote:Thanks for pointing that out, it's been fixed now.

Which of course means that the main site has been updated for 0.2.8.0. Should we do a sf.net news post as well?
http://armagetronad.net/downloads/index.php wrote:dmg (ppc, osx <= v10.2.8)
Can you just call this one PPC, OS X 10.2.8? It won't run on anything less than 10.2.8.

Edit: And maybe put OS labels on all of them, PPC DMG doesn't necessarily imply Mac OS X.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

belenus wrote:When I start AA from the directory that contains "configure" the server can be started and runs... but I also get this message there:
[0] Warning in tString tPathResource::GetWritePath(const char*) const in tools/tDirectories.cpp:454 :
[0] Could not create path to ./resource/automatic/file:///var/db/xmlcatalog. Check your user's rights.
[0] ERROR: Cannot determine path to write resource to.
Ignore this one. We don't use XML catalogs.
z-man wrote:Luke: compiling the ebuild now, working fine so far. Is there an one-line way to build it from the file you gave? Like "unpack-into-local-portage-tree-and-build ..."?
Theoretically: tar xjvf armagetronad-0.2.8.0.ebuild.tbz2 && emerge --oneshot $PWD/games-action/armagetronad/armagetronad-0.2.8.0.ebuild.tbz2
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

ArmagetronAd 0.2.8.0 on Windows 2000 wrote: Error in in E:\Development\AADevel\0_2_8\0.2.8.0\vc6\armagetronad-0.2.8.0-win\src\tron\gArmagetron.cpp:534 :
var directory not writable or does not exist. It should reside inside your user data directory and should have been created automatically on first start, but something must have gone wrong. You can access your user data directory over one of the start menu entries we installed.
I already tried to rename my existing var or "Application Data\Armagetron" directory. ArmagetronAd will create a new empty directory a user.cfg, but will always show this error and exit. Might the settings.cfg already be open and can't be opened twice for exclusive access ?

This is a major show stopper for me ... I'm not sure if other's have the same problem. I'll try to find a way to fix it later... g2g now... birthday party.