0.2.8_beta4: release process and bugs

Help test release candidates for the next release
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

You still didn't answer my question zman about the text problems.

I did figure out that it happens whenever I can't connect to a server. If I try to connect to an unreachable or full server, I'll get a blank screen instead of a login error message. Then if I hit esc or enter or whatever, I get a blank screen with a red block where the menu text should be. I can move the block around by scrolling through the menu items, but still, no text.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sorry, I forgot about that. The basic font blurring bug does not happen here, not with your two recordings.
The blank screen/red bar looks like simply all textures got lost. Maybe a similar thing happens to the font, it just does not get lost, but only corrupted? We may be able to work around the problem by reloading all textures for the error message display, but I'd sleep better if we found the cause first. Unfortunately, I'm clueless. Any theories that go a bit beyond "Crappy ATI drivers"?
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

I get this problem in flashes while on the servers as well, where all the text on the screen will turn to blocks, but when I've tried to take a screenshot of that, it turns out with the text . :o :?:

But this problem with the menus seems to only happend when I try to connect to a server, and it fails.
Should I do a quick recording again, to see if I can get it? Or will that probably be of no use?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

:o :| That's easily the weirdest error thing I ever heard. No, a recording won't be of use here. When you do the screenshot, does the text flash up for a split second? If not, it's even weirder. Does anyone else observer similar things?
If you don't have it mapped to a game key, you can trigger a texture reload by hitting "r". Try it next time the console text disappears and see whether it helps.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Your_mom: there is a new test version in the other thread:
http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 7573#37573
Please test. It features messagebox debug output, I hope this sheds some light on the problem.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

z-man wrote::o :| That's easily the weirdest error thing I ever heard.
You should listen to the Klingon version of Jingle Bells I have on my hard drive.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

For the typing crash bug thing. Is there any way I can stop it from happening now? 'Cause it's really starting to piss me off.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Lucifer: I thought there was no Klingon word for fun? They probably translated it with honor :)

Fonkay: If you don't mind clicking away some message boxes on every game start, you can overwrite your exe with test exe for the installer problems. Direct link to the zip:
http://forums.armagetronad.net/download.php?id=2042
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Updated the site for beta4.
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

AA deb packages for beta4:

armagetronad 0.2.8.0 beta4 - Ubuntu Breezy 5.10 i386 packages:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by klax on Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

armagetronad 0.2.8.0 beta4 - Ubuntu Breezy 5.10 amd64 packages (common deb is the same)
Last edited by klax on Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

how do I rebuild these for sarge ?
I don't regularly use debian, but I feel having debian packages for ubuntu but not debian is a shame.
on the grid as ~free::zombie~
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

Walking Tree wrote:how do I rebuild these for sarge ?
I don't regularly use debian, but I feel having debian packages for ubuntu but not debian is a shame.
It will be nice to have debian sarge packages! But now that I'm becoming an expert doing chroots maybe I should set up one with debian sarge hehe.

Here are the steps to build deb packages (supposing you have installed the needed packages to build debs):
1. check from cvs the following modules: armagetronad, armagetronad_build
2. cd armagetronad_build
3. sudo make debian (you should this again if it asks)
4. the debs will be ir armagetronad_build/builds/version/RC?/Upload

But I need to fix something in the generic build process because it tries to find the packaged source with the wrong name (I renamed the file manually to get these builds)...

z-man: Could you explain me how the version is get with the generic build? And also why there is always a RCx subdir?

Edit: Now the ubuntu deb packages will be named with -0ubuntu1 (rebuilt and reuploaded them).

Here are the AA 0.2.8.0 Debian Sarge 3.1 i386 packages:
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

how will you name the finished version ? 0.2.8.0beta4-1 is gretaer than 0.2.8.0 with dpkg AFAIK.

--
/me asks himself why klax would install a chroot sarge when there is a complete debian system here already...
on the grid as ~free::zombie~
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

Walking Tree wrote:how will you name the finished version ? 0.2.8.0beta4-1 is gretaer than 0.2.8.0 with dpkg AFAIK.
Don't know... Any proposed naming?