0.2.8_beta4: release process and bugs

Help test release candidates for the next release
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Revan: yes, that one is gone.

I put up two complete test builds with more debugging output on directory creation. I treated them exactly the same way as I would treat a regular release, minus the source tagging. Builds done with vc6 and gcc/mingw:
http://beta.armagetronad.net/fetch.php/ ... .win32.exe
http://beta.armagetronad.net/fetch.php/ ... .win32.exe
Your_mom, Angel: please test. You should install them into a fresh directory, start them and report back the error message (if any) and send back the files stdout.txt and stderr.txt to be found in the system data directory (where you installed the game to, accessible through the start menu), if they exist.

Possible problem: If AA tries to write stdout.txt and stderr.txt into the current directory and that's the system data directory and the user does not have writing rights there, what happens????? I have to test that myself.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

Umm opening the alpha version doesn't work, however for some reason the record mode shortcut does work. So the only way to use the alpha for me is to use record mode. posting zipped stdout.

edit- forgot to attach the zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Did you test the GCC or VC6 version or both? How does it fail? Does it do nothing again like the last test exe?
Also, could you temporarily rename your user data directory and try whether it gets recreated if you start the test version?

Oh, for the others, the test version has the voting bug fixed. So if you absolutely want to vote and don't mind the usual risks of intermediate alphas, grab it.
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

I figured out how to crash AA. Or at least what I do when it does it. although I've yet to figure out why.
I happens when I type between rounds. If I type while a round is loading, I get the error "pure vital call" or something like that. Will do a recording in a sec.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

where can I get the beta4 source ? (or ebuild ;))
on the grid as ~free::zombie~
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

Ok, the first recording is of the crash, it's short and sweet, and actually includes the text problem I've been having that seems to not really exist. :?: So if you can tell me whether there is a text problem in the menus or if it's just my vid card that would be nice. :D

The second is the re-enter you requested, although I couldn't get it to crash again, so it might not be of much use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sweet! The error is reproduced here. Good job!

Tree: beta.armagetronad.net :) To get beta4, you have to disselect "Hide old".
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

Glad to be of service.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Fixed. It was a new bug in beta4, although the root of the problem was much older.

It was a problem involving static variables and someone (well, me, of course) accessing them and interpreting them wrongly. We need proper events to permanently avoid errors of this kind.

What exactly happened:
Fonkay hit the chat key. This caused the chat menu to be scheduled for activation. Then, before the actual activation took place, she pressed another key. The code handling that mistook the scheduled chat menu with a chat menu already running and tried to send it a message with an exception. Since the menu was not actually active, the exception did not get caught and terminated the program.
An event system would have prevented that, because then the information needed for the chat menu popup would have been stored in the event and not in a static variable.

Hey, I guess this means we're pretty much ready for a release candidate! Well, if the XP problems sort themselves out.
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

Does that mean I can delete them now?

Also, did you check out the menu text problem?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, I'm glad Fonkay managed to get a recording, because it hasn't happened to me in awhile. :( But it happened exactly like that. ;) Good work, guys!

Um, can we get a installs-and-runs-for-everyone installer before we go to RC? I'm not feeling too hot about what I've been hearing about the installers....

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

Maybe I need to chat a lot less, 'cause that damn crash is getting annoying, it happens like once every half hour to me. Very annoying when you're playing a reg game, and even when you're playing team servers.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

z-man wrote:Did you test the GCC or VC6 version or both? How does it fail? Does it do nothing again like the last test exe?
Also, could you temporarily rename your user data directory and try whether it gets recreated if you start the test version?
i tested VC6. same thing as before no responce from opening armagetron, but the recording mode works for somereason, i can get in and play using that but i cant play a game using the alpha without using the record shortcut. I renamed var to ~var~ and a new var folder was created using the working recording mode, tryed using the normal exe before trying recording mode and it still gave no responce.

~tired, spelling and grammer your on your own
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Your_mom: the other thread gave rise to the suspicion that something may be wrong with the current directory. stdout.txt and stderr.txt of the completely failed attempts may thus be anywhere on your system. Could you search for them, tell me where they are (if you find any outside of AA installation directories) and post the content?
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

z-man wrote:Your_mom: the other thread gave rise to the suspicion that something may be wrong with the current directory. stdout.txt and stderr.txt of the completely failed attempts may thus be anywhere on your system. Could you search for them, tell me where they are (if you find any outside of AA installation directories) and post the content?
all but one where in \armagetronad
i found one it in C:\Documents and Settings\User

the one stray stderr.txt said
stderr.txt wrote:Error in in E:\Development\AADevel\Distribute\armagetronad-0.2.7.2.pre1-win\src\tron\gArmagetron.cpp:362 :
Data files not found. You have to run Armagetron from its own directory.
doesnt look like that was what you where looking for though