Strange behaviour if you hit the end of your own trail

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Strange behaviour if you hit the end of your own trail

Post by wrtlprnft »

I think other people must have noticed that quite a while ago, but i never saw an actual post dealing with it, so I'll post it in here.

The server and client seem to have different opinions on how long the tail of a cycle is. If I hit the ending of my trail on the fortress server my cycle gets stopped dead and the rubber goes up. But after a fraction of a second the cycle jumps to where it would be if there was no trail at all. I guess it's a correction by the server...

This is sometimes annoying if you have a high ping and defend on fortress... you get no real indication where the heck you really are and have to guess when you follow your own zigzag trail as close as possible (you don't want anyone to get in ;) )
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I can try to do a fix for 0.2.8.1 (sounds like it'll be risky) and test it on Fortress. Of course, that will mean that you'll suddenly start to die every time your client says you got stuck :)
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Well, that's what you're supposed to do, right? Currently there's no indication where your trail really ends, so I guess every change can only make it better :)