..D.o.g.F.i.g.h.t.. Settings

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

..D.o.g.F.i.g.h.t.. Settings

Post by LittleSteps »

Hello, LittleSteps again; I was wondering if anyone had the settings for the old server named "..D.o.g.F.i.g.h.t.. ". I would be happy to host it again for I believe it was a great server for new players to learn how to play with its instant respawns, brakes, and slow speed. Plus without it I feel as if all the noobs who once went to this fun server to learn how to play migrated to high rubber and turned it into a noob feast :oops:.

I know Manta was the owner of this server but don't know if he still plays, If I remember correctly this server has existed all the way from 2006 to around 2012, I couldn't find anyone with the settings but I would like to bring this fun server back. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :wink:
Last edited by LittleSteps on Thu May 07, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChiefKeefOTF

Re: ..D.o.g.F.i.g.h.t..

Post by ChiefKeefOTF »

Those settings didn't take much just basic Loose Setting with twice as much rubber and infinit brakes.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

add 100 to the default rubber and then cry when anyone grinds, thats dogfight.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Manta hosted that server. When he and Destiny divorced, those settings disappeared with him and the servers he hosted.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

I don't know what exact settings it had or where to get them from. A quick search for dogfight settings on this forum was not successful (also the search ignored the words "settings" and "server" >_<).
If you are searching for similar servers to play on with instant respawns, the ones that I know of are "Tron Trek", "Wildcat Cont", and my own "The Potato - Bounty Hunt".

- Tron Trek has special respawning as you respawn exactly where you died. It has no turn delay and probably from the descriptions rather similar rubber values to ..D.o.g.F.i.g.h.t..
- Wildcat Cont has a faster speed and also no turn delay, if you know FastTrack, it is quite similar in the way stuff handles, but with a bit less ridiculous acceleration, brakes and rubber values.
- Bounty Hunt has quite special physics that are very likely very different from ..D.o.g.F.i.g.h.t.. - slow, low rubber, lots of close combat or tunneling if you fancy it but also beginner friendly, and its gimmick in addition to instant respawns is kills on high scoring players being worth more (hence the name ;)).

I do like to advertise a bit for my own stuff whereever it fits of course but I do think Tron Trek might be closest to what you want in the end. :D
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

LittleSteps wrote:I believe it was a great server for new players
Absolutely terrible place for new players. Besides the fact the rubber was absurdly high and the turns absurdly tight (favoring multibinding button mashers), worst is the idiotic and arbitrary unwritten gameplay rules. Don't play "open/loose/whatever" and you get verbally abused and kicked.

Yeah, real friggin' great for new players. The ones you want to drive away, that is.
ChiefKeefOTF wrote:basic Loose Setting
This crap always cracks me up, the way that you all have conflated unwritten gameplay rules with a specific physics set.

These sorts of servers need to stay in the boneyard.
xXSyagehtllikXx
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by xXSyagehtllikXx »

Phytotron wrote:
Absolutely terrible place for new players. Besides the fact the rubber was absurdly high and the turns absurdly tight (favoring multibinding button mashers), worst is the idiotic and arbitrary unwritten gameplay rules. Don't play "open/loose/whatever" and you get verbally abused and kicked.

Yeah, real friggin' great for new players. The ones you want to drive away, that is.
ChiefKeefOTF wrote:basic Loose Setting
This crap always cracks me up, the way that you all have conflated unwritten gameplay rules with a specific physics set.

These sorts of servers need to stay in the boneyard.
1. D.OGFIGHT Had no rules.
2.You don't play the game, Your opinion is irrelevant on Loose Gameplay or the game itself.
3.If its so bad why the **** are Loose DF Servers full everyday?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Who are you trying to kid?
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

The d.o.g.f.i.g.h.t. server was silly in the fact that you could toggle your brakes, make a triple bind and never die. Of course the goal is to win so you're not going to win that way but still the fact that you couldn't die while holding brakes was pretty bad
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

xXSyagehtllikXx wrote: You don't play the game, Your opinion is irrelevant on Loose Gameplay or the game itself.
I agree that your opinion should be shrugged off if you don't even play.
It's sort of like trying to tell me how to eat my bacon when you're a vegetarian.
xXSyagehtllikXx wrote:If its so bad why the **** are Loose DF Servers full everyday?
Phytotron wrote:Who are you trying to kid?
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

Phytotron wrote:

You speak as if you never have actually played on this server and you are going off your opinion of Loose Dogfight, this server was very different you didn't get kicked for how you play nor did you get verbally abused. Anyways, didn't make this topic to start discussing your opinion on what you believe the server is like.

Thank you vov, compguygene, and anyone else actually helping me which is what this topic was made for.

Seems as if a post like this was made in 2011 and no one had the settings either.
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =2&t=21068
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Re: ..D.o.g.F.i.g.h.t.. Settings

Post by ConVicT »

People would have known, they just couldn't be bothered to post.

You should ask yourself: What made the server what it was (rubber, brakes, speed, etc)?
If you know what it was you liked about it then it shouldn't be difficult for you to copy.

Commands

If I could remember what it was like, I could easily do it for you.
Was it like "Tron Trek"?

Edit: link didn't work.
Last edited by ConVicT on Thu May 07, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

I'm not sure about the more detailed settings (mostly the rubber ones) but you can probably get reasonably close physics to what common "loose dogfight" servers use with these:

Code: Select all

cycle_delay .03
cycle_speed 18
cycle_accel 5
cycle_brake 20
cycle_brake_deplete 0
cycle_rubber_mindistance_gap .4 
Last time I played it was some tourney but these feel quite like it. The last setting is afaik not used on many "loose" servers for reason of stubbornness but it is the setting that should enable tunneling even if there is a large "dig" on a wall - use it if you want, Tron Trek uses it for example.
If you want to rebuild settings for that server then these might be a good start. I know what most of the physics settings do so don't hesitate to ask if you got questions!

On another note the settings I went for in my server seem to improve exactly what Phytotron is complaining about (and I agree with, heh). Now if only newbies knew it existed. :P
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

vov wrote:

cycle_delay .03
cycle_speed 18
cycle_accel 5
cycle_brake 20
cycle_brake_deplete 0
cycle_rubber_mindistance_gap .4 
The last setting is afaik not used on many "loose" servers for reason of stubbornness but it is the setting that should enable tunneling even if there is a large "dig" on a wall
Actually, when I was trying to do this I had to use two commands

CYCLE_RUBBER_MINDISTANCE	0.4 
CYCLE_RUBBER_MINDISTANCE_GAP 0.2 
My thread for non-stab/non-closing, whatever you wanna call it.

Additional: 0.4 is the same as .4... I always use 0's before my point X's, no need to, I just do.
xXSyagehtllikXx
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by xXSyagehtllikXx »

vov wrote:not used on many "loose" servers for reason of stubbornness [/size]
You're ethier going to help LittleSteps or talk shit about a Game Type you've never played for a full week. Which one is it ffs