Armagetron terminating when connecting to server list

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
breeze
Average Program

Armagetron terminating when connecting to server list

Post by breeze »

I am running Windows 7 64-bit. I mainly use the latest 0.4 version of Armagetron but it occurs on 0.28 too. What happens is when I run the program everything works perfectly fine (local game, all menus, settings etc.) but when I attempt to connect to the master server to play online it terminates the program. It happens roughly half the time. Although, it will let me custom connect to any server, only terminating when I attempt to access the server browser. This error has been occurring on and off for several months. I am including a few error messages I receive from Windows. I should also note that numerous fresh installs don't fix the problem. Any help would be great, even if it's something on my end. Thanks.
Attachments
Armagetron Error 3 - Copy.PNG
Armagetron Error 2 - Copy.PNG
Armagetron Error - Copy.PNG
Ratchet
Match Winner

Re: Armagetron terminating when connecting to server list

Post by Ratchet »

Interesting. So, both of your clients ( 0.4 and 0.2.8 ) exhibit this same problem when you try to connect to the master server?

My prediction is that perhaps your antivirus program is not letting it connect to the internet in an unusual way such that armagetronad isn't getting some information back that it is expecting, hence the exception.

You could help the developers solve your problem by creating a debug recording of this happening (although this may not be helpful, it's usually a good start).

Additionally, since it happens across both versions, you could try renaming your user.cfg file to user1.cfg to see if that remedies the problem. Perhaps something in your user file is causing havoc (it has happened to me before) and it is worth a shot.

Also, some of these questions may be helpful to know:
- What antivirus are you using?
- Has this ever happened before?
- When did it start happening?
- Do other applications connect to the internet when this happens?
- When you fresh install armagetron, do you re-download the binary or use one you had already downloaded?
- Have you tried renaming your user.cfg file so that the game can re-initiate its default settings?
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
breeze
Average Program

Post by breeze »

I am using Avast Anti-Virus, not sure of the version number at the moment, probably the latest. Although, I remember it happening long before I had AV software installed. I also have tried it with Avast turned off and also with Armagetron on some exception list. Maybe it needs it's port number? But still, it works sometimes, so I don't know if this could be it. The internet also works 100% on all other programs. I have not messed up with cfg at all or looked at it, yet. When I install Armagetron I just use the .exe from SourceForge, nothing special just a plain install.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

thats a memory error, a av wont cause that. Make sure your ram is seated correctly
Run a burn in test too.
breeze
Average Program

Post by breeze »

Unfortunately, it's a laptop. I'd feel comfortable doing that on a desktop, but I don't want to crack open the laptop and not be able to get it back together. I'll run diagnostics tomorrow when I have some time. It's funny though because it doesn't seem to cause problems with any other programs. Thanks for the responses so far.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

On most laptops, the RAM is convenient to access under a single cover, usually with one screw holding it in. It may even be labelled.
breeze
Average Program

Post by breeze »

I might give it a go, but I'm still a little wary. If that's really the problem I'll probably just tolerate it until I can get a new computer. It's not unbearable, just annoying.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

As Light has said, it is really easy to get to the RAM on most laptops. Almost as easy as getting the batteries out of a remote control, to put it into perspective. The only difference is that you need a small screwdriver :)

However, I don't think it would be RAM seating issues based on the fact that this happens to a single program.
breeze wrote:I also have tried it with Avast turned off and also with Armagetron on some exception list.
I can vouch that Avast shouldn't be causing any problems, as it's what I use. As far as the exception list goes, do you mean this?

http://i.imgur.com/Bg46Zd2.png

Perhaps you could check and see if yours looks like that. Open up the start menu and type "Allow a program" and it should come up with "Allow a program through Windows Firewall." Make sure that Armagetron has the checkboxes next to it.
breeze wrote:I have not messed up with cfg at all or looked at it, yet.
I suggest you try doing this:

1. Navigate to the folder: "C:\Users\Your_Username\AppData\Roaming\Armagetron\var" (you may need to enable hidden folders to get here)

2. In that folder, there should be something named "user.cfg", Rename it to "user1.cfg"**

3. Launch armagetron (it should boot full-screen as if you just installed it for the first time)

4. Report back here and let me know if the error still occurred.

**Note: Don't delete user.cfg because it contains all of your defined settings. You'll need to rename it back to user.cfg when you're done if this isn't what is causing the problem.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
breeze
Average Program

Post by breeze »

I ran mdsched.exe, Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. It found no errors in the memory. Time permitting, I will check the cfg later and report back.
Attachments
Memory Diagnostic - Copy.PNG
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

to fully discount the memory, you need to run memtest86
As for a single program crashing, due to a memory seating issue (building one my machines drunk) I could play doom fine but IE would hard lock the machine, which was unfortunate, since the windows file browser is ie.
breeze
Average Program

Post by breeze »

Thanks, I'll run memtest86 in the next few days as it seems like it will take a good few hours to run properly. I did play around with the cfg file, but nothing happened.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

its not a fast tool that is for sure

but if it passes, you can know your ram and mobo's ram controller are fine
from there, its either a ssd error (not marking a known bad bit) or the same option on a hdd, SMART usually catches that on real hdds though. DUnno.