Quick start / Starting Parameters

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Runn3R

Quick start / Starting Parameters

Post by Runn3R »

Hello guys,

I want to create a sort of a arcade machine, inculding armagetron advanced.
It will run on Windows and what I want to do is that if Armagetron advanced is selected I want it to go directly into a singleplayer game with bots.

I tried to find some informations on my problem in the wiki but didn't find any.

I think the way to go would be to open the .exe of armagetron with starting parameters?
If so is the a list existing with all parameters?

Thanks

Runn3R
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Quick start / Starting Parameters

Post by Z-Man »

There is no such parameter.

But! You can fake it using debug recordings, exploiting the fact that if a debug recording ends unexpectedly, the game switches back to regular input and goes on like normal.

So, first, you make your debug recording. Start arma with
armagetronad --record straighttosp.aarec
Then you use the menus to enter your single player game. It helps if you already prepared the settings you want, but you can also set them up while you record. Right after you enter the game, press SHIFT-ESC to exit.
Then you need to edit the recording. Open it in any text editor and remove the last couple of lines. I can't say how many; any END markers have to go and probably also the last line starting with INPUT.

And then, to start the game, start it with
armagetronad --playback straighttosp.aarec --fastforward 9999
You'll have to tolerate an "Recording ends abruptly, prepare for crash" message, though.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

Really? That's amazing!

This could be used to create mazing tutorials or similar stuff.
That's awesome!

Y'know how with chess, there's "puzzles" like they present a board setup to you and you must continue from there..?
Do that with tron! omg!
This could be used to set up really tough scenarios (like "continue this maze" or "make the cut").
OMG can this be used on ladle recordings? Like a second chance on a mistake you've made..?

I'm just speculating here.

Still though, very neat "feature" (bug?).
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Durf wrote:Really? That's amazing!

This could be used to create mazing tutorials or similar stuff.
That's awesome!

Y'know how with chess, there's "puzzles" like they present a board setup to you and you must continue from there..?
Do that with tron! omg!
This could be used to set up really tough scenarios (like "continue this maze" or "make the cut").
Yes. However, two caveats: The keyboard config is always going to be that of the one recording, and debug recordings are very fragile by design when it comes to version changes. So you'd have to redo the challenge for every new version.
Durf wrote:OMG can this be used on ladle recordings? Like a second chance on a mistake you've made..?
Unlikely. When you do this with a clientside recording, all you get after regaining control is that you lose contact with the server, everyone else goes in straight lines for a bit. If you do it on the serer, you have no connections to any real clients.
Durf wrote:Still though, very neat "feature" (bug?).
Feature. Usually, when a debug recording ends, that means the recording session ended with a crash, and you want the playback to reproduce the crash, so it has to just go on.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Gelide is a kickass frontend for that kind of setup.
Runn3R

Post by Runn3R »

Thanks very much guys,

the thing with the demo record worked very well for me! :-))

Thanks

Runn3R