Armagetron 0.4

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Armagetron 0.4

Post by Light »

Durf wrote: Really it's only a problem to already existing players who started on 0.2.8.
It's not the same look and feel (camera?), and getting used to that is part of what can allow a gamer to get really good (at certain game types). A competitor prefers to use the equipment they are most comfortable with.
Overall, there are plenty of reasons why 0.4 is better. I think the "problem" is change.
To a new user; they wouldn't know the difference.
Yeah. Disliking change is about all I could think of as well. I don't consider that to be a legitimate reason as to why it's actually bad though.
Durf wrote: Though IMO, the sounds are the biggest issue with 0.4.
Besides the annoying (sorry to the creator lol) music / sound effects, there's something off about the turning sound. Like an annoying clicking for each turn (this can get annoying with multiple binds).
Even to a new user, the sounds are a little bit of a turn off (not like the old sounds were all that great, but there wasn't as much overall so it was less bad)
I was never one to use the sounds. They annoyed the hell out of me on 0.2.8 and whatever other versions I've had. Throw on some music, blast it, and load a silent game of tron. Best way to play for me. The sounds actually throw me off my game at this point. There was a time long long ago that I used turn sounds. Idk .. I guess my view on it changes over time.
Durf wrote: Nothing that can't be fixed :)
Also, things that anyone can contribute to making better. You don't have to know the programming side of things to make sounds. Although, I can program, but not do shit with audio. lol FML
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

The turning sound has SDL's fake doppler effect applied to it. I think. Dunno, I never noticed it working when I turned it on, heh.

It's on my todo list to make a menu for turning off sound effects one-by-one or all at once. I need to put that on the 0.4 todo list, heh. It didn't used to matter, because there was no music, but now with music support (and some crappy drafts of riffs I threw together a few years back), players probably will want to turn sound off. I know I will, whenever I re-download my entire collection that got lost in a hard drive crash a few months ago.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

0.4? I have no complaint...
Blazehex22
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Blazehex22 »

OMG LUCIFER POSTED ON ONE OF MAH TOPICS! DAT IS SOO COOL. Anyways, I think that saying 0.4 is "bad" is just an opinion. Probably more good things in 0.4 than bad things anyways, like copying and pasting.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique... just like everybody else.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

What? I just posted something here and its not here anymore...
Blazehex22
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Blazehex22 »

Meh :/
Always remember that you are absolutely unique... just like everybody else.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Its pretty obvious why its broken if you use the rubber.