local game q

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Vogue
Match Winner

local game q

Post by Vogue »

how do i include a sumo map in local game on 0.4
Cadillac_
Average Program

Re: local game q

Post by Cadillac_ »

If you need just the map:
MAP_FILE Emphasis/sumo/8player_zone-0.0.3.aamap.xml(http://empha.nl/armagetron/resource/Emp ... .aamap.xml)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Yeah, just type this in the console, assuming you have visited the server the map originated from:

MAP_FILE Emphasis/sumo/8player_zone-0.0.3.aamap.xml

Alternatively, you can paste that and any other settings you like into a file names "settings.cfg" and place it into your moviepack folder.

And, you can add the above map_file argument to your autoexec.cfg and the map will always be your local game. I recently added Fort/Sumo settings to my autoexec.cfg since I can't really play online anymore; I just play locally.
ogo
Average Program

Post by ogo »

That doesn't change the actual physics of the cycle though - how do you do that? The 0.4. local game default is like dogfight physics or something
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

ogo wrote:That doesn't change the actual physics of the cycle though - how do you do that? The 0.4. local game default is like dogfight physics or something
sinewav wrote:Alternatively, you can paste that and any other settings you like into a file names "settings.cfg" and place it into your moviepack folder.

And, you can add the above map_file argument to your autoexec.cfg and the map will always be your local game. I recently added Fort/Sumo settings to my autoexec.cfg since I can't really play online anymore; I just play locally.
I tend to keep that for settings related to the moviepack and use the autoexec.cfg for game settings, but he gave you the answer.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Right Light, let's break this down for them.

At the simplest level you can change any setting in a local game using the console entering each command individually, like CYCLE_RUBBER 5. This is cumbersome.

If you want to use the same settings for every local game there are a couple places you can do it. settings_custom.cfg is one, autoexec.cfg is the other. I prefer the later. Here are a few sections from my autoexec.cfg:

Code: Select all

########################
#   Visual settings    #
########################

EXPLOSION 0
FADEOUT_NAME_DELAY -1
ZONE_ALPHA_TOGGLE 1
ZONE_HEIGHT .2
ZONE_SEG_LENGTH 1
ZONE_SEGMENTS 16
FLOOR_DETAIL 0
HIGH_RIM 0

########################
#      Local Game      #
########################

CYCLE_RUBBER 5
As you can see, I have changed the rubber in my local game. You can do this to change any of your default settings by placing console commands here.

Sometimes I place complete games into a settings.cfg file and copy that to my moviepack folder. This allows me to change quickly between different settings/maps. However, most people don't play locally or they have one set of favorite settings to use so it is more practical put them in autoexec.cfg

Keep in mind some maps have setting written into them!

Actually, does someone want to make a special Sumo map for local play that has all the setting built-in? That might be helpful.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

You can also include from the location of autoexec.

etc/games/armagetronad-experimental/

I have a directory "settings" for different cameras and whatnot stored there. So, I just use "include settings/df" or whatever I want it set up for. You could also put normal game settings in there.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Yes, that is a good suggestion Light. I also have several .cfg files in my var folder I can call up at will using /console include <name>.cfg. For example, I have different visual settings for Fortress zones than Sumo zones, so when I play Fortress I type /console include fort.cfg (I actually use an instant chat) and this loads my custom zone settings. You can also use this technique for different custom cameras. It is possible to have several camera .cfgs and load them on the fly while gaming!

For anyone who wants Fort/Sumo settings, you can extract them from the Ladle.cfg.

You can start with the entire CYCLE_ family of settings. Things like wall length can be set in your local game menu. You will also need SP_EXPLOSION_RADIUS .75 since the lowest you can set holes in a local game is 2 meters.
Cadillac_
Average Program

Post by Cadillac_ »

ogo wrote:That doesn't change the actual physics of the cycle though - how do you do that? The 0.4. local game default is like dogfight physics or something
in addition(or substitution) to what sine.wav said ogo, you could do

INCLUDE examples/cvs_test/fortress_physics.cfg

the fort/sumo settings are already in the client but many ppl don't know. I didn't for a while >.>
ogo
Average Program

Post by ogo »

Nice! Problem sorted thanks to your suggestions, I am very happy :)