0.2.8 FPS drop

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Vogue
Match Winner

0.2.8 FPS drop

Post by Vogue »

In 0.4 I have a steady 200-300 fps while playing, in any server under any circumstance. I've been wanting to switch to 0.2.8 but whenever I do, I start off with really high FPS, then after a little bit it drops to 70-80-90.... doesn't happen in the other clients as I've said. Why does this happen? I have all settings on low(sparks off etc) and no vsync.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Re: 0.2.8 FPS drop

Post by LOVER$BOY »

This happens to me as well but I don't find it a bothersome. I think it's simply the amount of data, display and process required causes the FTP to drop down. Although in my LOVER$BOY's Racing server it doesn't drop below 100 unless the load is pretty heavy. So maybe others might have other explanations to the drop in FPS but this is my explanation from my experience :)
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

That doesn't really explain anything. 0.2.8 used to be more stable for me than 0.3/0.4 yet the latter versions give me more FPS now.
S0lutai
Average Program

Post by S0lutai »

It is almost the same for me but in different versions; I get smooth FPS in .2.8. ( 200-100 in lucky days) and for some reason I get pretty much 40 FPS in .4.

^ All with sparks, graphics etc turned off.

Also, I might be wrong, but the amount of people playing in the server is a factor, in a 1v1 fortress match one could get a nice amount of FPS but when playing 9v9 megafortress for example, things will be different.

Also, did you specify which servers/local game you try? what maps, the amount of people in the server. If FPS drop is even noticeable in local game, I don't have anything to say.

EDIT: Just saw the any server under any circunstance thing, wasn't sure I saw it ^^
A tragedy is commonplace but in the end they go away.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

My FPS significantly drops the more tails appear (I only play sumo and fort so there are quite a lot of tails after a few seconds). This doesn't happen in 0.3/0.4, the tails don't affect my FPS there. I used to not have this issue in 2.8 either, I wonder what changed. :c

*trails?
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

The other thing could also be your computer specs, like the amount of memory it can sustain and performance rate and so on. These things always caused me to have FPS of 60 or less when I used my old laptops but with a brand new laptop with better specs, my FPS stays above 100 most of the time.
Last edited by LOVER$BOY on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I think the question is, what code was changed between .2x and .4x that would cause such a drastic difference in FPS on the same hardware?
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

sinewav wrote:I think the question is, what code was changed between .2x and .4x that would cause such a drastic difference in FPS on the same hardware?
Yes but I don't believe any latest additions to the code had anything to do with the drop in FPS although there is the possibility they could've had some affect on it... not sure...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

LOVER$BOY wrote:Yes but...
Attachments
aaaaahhhhh.jpeg
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

LOVER$BOY wrote:The other thing could also be your computer specs, like the amount of memory it can sustain and performance rate and so on. These things always caused me to have FTP of 60 or less when I used my old laptops but with a brand new laptop with better specs, my FPS stays above 100 most of the time.
You're clearly not reading my posts so just stop trying to help. It's FPS btw, not FTP.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Vogue wrote:
LOVER$BOY wrote:The other thing could also be your computer specs, like the amount of memory it can sustain and performance rate and so on. These things always caused me to have FTP of 60 or less when I used my old laptops but with a brand new laptop with better specs, my FPS stays above 100 most of the time.
You're clearly not reading my posts so just stop trying to help. It's FPS btw, not FTP.
Ok... and that's a spelling mistake, sorry :(
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

You changed your GPU? A handful of new ones seem to support older DX releases and other stuff only in compatibility mode. Also, try changing your floor settings. If your client draws an endless plane rather than only the required amount of floor, you'll drop FPS like hot chestnuts.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

delinquent wrote:You changed your GPU? A handful of new ones seem to support older DX releases and other stuff only in compatibility mode. Also, try changing your floor settings. If your client draws an endless plane rather than only the required amount of floor, you'll drop FPS like hot chestnuts.
"System Setup -> Display Settings -> Performance Tweaks -> Infinity: OFF" doesn't seem like that should make a huge difference between versions on the same hardware. I wonder if people aren't actually reading the problem and just giving generic FPS advice. The question is, "why should .2x perform so poorly compared to .4x on the same hardware?" I have the problem where the opposite is true; I get about 20 fps with the .4x branch. You mentioned DX. How much DX is in Armagetron? It seems counterintuitive that older software should perform so poorly with more resources available.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Sounds to me like it's related to graphics card, perhaps even similar to the issue I had when trying to set up a good stream. I'd go to the control panel and check whether the old client is absent from some kind of list that already includes the new one.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I'd go to the control pane
Doubt Arma appears anywhere in the control panel.
"System Setup -> Di...
I'm not so sure tbh. I noticed a comparable drop in fps when I changed that setting, from almost 600fps to about 120, back when I didn't have an absolutely ****** GPU.

Also, to clarify, I intended to use the differences in DX support only as an example. Think of it like trying to install Win95 on a system built for Win8 - You're bound to run into some sort of problem. That being said, I was only theorising.

On a similar note, what does Arma use as a graphical engine? OpenGL? OpenCL?

Oh, something else to think about: It could be something to do with the difference in colour depth between 0.2 and 0.4. Again, only theorising.