Keep on being logged out?

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Keep on being logged out?

Post by ConVicT »

Why, every time I visit, do I have to login, even though I tick the box which says "Log me in automatically each time I visit"?
Edit: In addition, this never used to happen.
Attachments
login.PNG
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Keep on being logged out?

Post by sinewav »

Have yor recently upgraded your browser or changed locations?
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I haven't changed location, but my Chrome updated on its own, Is it something to do with that?
I had a look through some stuff and I'm also being logged out of yahoo a lot.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:I haven't changed location, but my Chrome updated on its own, Is it something to do with that?
I had a look through some stuff and I'm also being logged out of yahoo a lot.
I don't actually know. I had a similar problem while I was out of town on a friend's wireless connection in a new location. I think the wireless kept dropping me and renewing my IP or something. Super annoying, so I sympathize.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

There could be all sorts of reasons:
  • Private browsing/incognito.
  • Throwing out 'tracking cookies' indiscriminately.
  • IP address change too dramatic to be accepted by phpBB. Can happen if you access the forum elsewhere, if your IP address changes a lot, if using certain proxies, etc.
  • Perhaps some sort of session reset on the forum itself. But I doubt it'd pick on you specifically.
I have experienced it just a few times myself. Haven't investigated. My usual IP address isn't fixed but tends to be stable for months at a time.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Modify the expiration dates on the 3 cookies to make sure they don't expire. Make sure your browser doesn't clear cookies when you close it. Don't manually clear the cookies, which you may do while clearing cache or browser history.

It's possible there's IP detection, so if you attempt to hijack it would simply log you out to avoid allowing people to steal your cookies. If that's the problem, you may have your IP address changing too frequently. You can monitor your IP with sites like http://whatismyip.com, or a browser plugin and maybe even on your router.

Maybe try some of what's above and let us know if you notice anything that needed changed such as settings or whatnot. You can view the expiration date before you change it to see if it is set too close to the current time. If your local time changes for any reason, that may trigger the browser to clear them.

There's just too many possibilities and you haven't really showed us that you tried anything.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

My IP doesn't change that often, I've kinda monitored that in this game funnily enough.
Says that the cookies don't expire for a whole year (on all 3).
I don't use incog..
As for what I said about Yahoo doing the same, I've noticed now that Yahoo only logs me out if I check my email a lot (20 times in an hour say), but I'm guessing that's for security reasons, so I really think it's just this.
Attachments
I've never really checked any of this stuff before, nor do I know what most of it does.<br />Am I looking in the right place?
I've never really checked any of this stuff before, nor do I know what most of it does.
Am I looking in the right place?
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Bringing this back up because I've just noticed something.
Earlier I replied to someone's post from my Blackberry, and I'be not used my Blackberry in donkeys years for this forum... But I was still logged in on that, and I use the same internet connection on my phone as I do for my computer.

Are you only allowed to be permanently logged in on a single device!?
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Mine does this too, Chrome always logs me out on Windows, but Chrome on Android let's me stay logged in all the time.

I'm pretty sure it used to happen on my Mac as well on whichever browser.
Light

Post by Light »

I would assume it's a browser settings clearing cookies when you close the browser maybe? Also, the content of your cookie shouldn't be blank. Hopefully that was just editing of the photo to hide its value.

Another assumption may be IP checking server-side. If you change IP's, you get logged out. Some sites do it to try and avoid session hijacking. This would mean, assuming you have a dynamic IP, you may get logged out every time your modem reboots.

You can use this to check that you're not clearing your cookies upon exit. Of course, don't choose the option they're showing, as they want to clear cookies when they close the browser.

http://www.howtogeek.com/137681/how-to- ... r-browser/
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

That photo was taken with "Snipping tool", and is unedited.

I can't even ask any questions because I've no idea what questions to ask.

What I can say is that I'm logged out every time I visit on every single device/machine *whatever*, with the one exception of my Blackberry Curve.
I will log out on that and see if it stops logging me out on my computer, and if so, I will assume that we're only allowed to "Log me on automatically each visit" on a single device/comp.

Edit: If you read it, you know why :D
Last edited by ConVicT on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Light

Post by Light »

ConVicT wrote:That photo was taken with "Snipping too", and is unedited.

I can't even ask any questions because I've no idea what questions to ask.

What I can say is that I'm logged out every time I visit on every single device/machine *whatever*, with the one exception of my Blackberry Curve.
I will log out on that and see if it stops logging me out on my computer, and if so, I will assume that we're only allowed to "Log me on automatically each visit" on a single device/comp.
Try using Firefox instead of Chrome.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Why should that matter?
If that were the case, there would be a stigma about Chrome.
As far as I see there is none.
C'mon peeps, think outside the box for me :)

Edit: Death to internet browser
Light

Post by Light »

ConVicT wrote:Why should that matter?
If that were the case, there would be a stigma about Chrome.
As far as I see there is none.
C'mon peeps, think outside the box for me :)

Edit: Death to internet browser
Well, it would show that the problem is coming from a specific web browser rather then something to do with your connection such as some of the ideas I've previously listed. If you can narrow down what's causing it, then you may be able to figure out why it's happening.

If it is Chrome, then you can pay specific attention to the settings you're using, rather than guessing at any number of things it may be.

Without attempting to narrow the reasons for its cause, there's little anyone can do but guess. So, I guess this is about the end of providing help on the topic.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Thank you for the suggestions, Light.
I really can't see any problems there.
It does log me out when my IP changes (rarely).
I notice my IP changing when I try to stream MP4 to my Wii U, the last number will change. That would explain to me why I'm logged out of here.
...But also that only happens once in a month or two, *it's kind'a flaky*.
But I'm logged out of here every time I visit, as opposed to keeping me logged in every time I visit... It's almost as if it's ignoring my box tick.